PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
sgmidf (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Quebec City Prepaid - 28-08-2010, 12:24

We're going to Quebec City in 3 weeks for 5 days, and I wanted to get (maybe 2) prepaid sims for local calls and to/from the US. Most of the threads are a year old so I wanted to see if there were any recent recommendations. I'd like to be able to get data also for an iphone, but assume that it would be prohibitive cost-wise, so that would not be necessary....I can use wifi if needed.

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
weekilter (Offline)
Official Member

Default 29-08-2010, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmidf View Post
We're going to Quebec City in 3 weeks for 5 days, and I wanted to get (maybe 2) prepaid sims for local calls and to/from the US. Most of the threads are a year old so I wanted to see if there were any recent recommendations. I'd like to be able to get data also for an iphone, but assume that it would be prohibitive cost-wise, so that would not be necessary....I can use wifi if needed.

Thanks
I'd recommend getting a Rogers or Fido (part of Rogers) SIM. It's impractical to use it for calling to the US since Rogers and Fido's rates to call the US are not cheap. Better to get a calling card.

Current SIMs:

T-Mobile US (prepaid)
T-Mobile NL (prepaid)
Fido CA (prepaid)
Orange IL (prepaid)

Old
  (#3)
sgmidf (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-08-2010, 11:37

Thanks. When I look on EBAY, there are both Fido and Rogers cards with a small amount of credit available. Am I right that there''s no way to use data on an iPhone 3gs up there prepaid without it costing a fortune (if it's possible at all)?

Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-10-2010, 15:56

While I normally push prepaid, who is your US provider and is it a contract provider? Canadian roaming options have reemerged for US customers that are pretty good. Verizon will let you expand your plan to Canada only for the days you are visiting. I have a Verizon MiFi and added Canada for four days in AUgust and six in September. It costs me under $20 for both. ATT has Canadian plans that you can add for the month, but the down side is that you give up most of your rollover minutes when you make a plan change. Sometimes, you can beg them to let you keep a few. Sprint has an option which brings you down to $0.20 a minute in Canada which is cheaper than most prepaid.

If I had access to a 1700mhz handset, I'd probably go with Wind. Their prepaid options look unbeatable for Canada. If you don't, take a look at the MVNOs on Rogers from 7-11 and Petro Canada.