PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-03-2011, 23:25

Thanks to some private hand-holding from Stu - this is what I've come up with:
Stu suggested the "Zoom we3g-4520 Radio Modem". It is on Amazon and elsewhere. You just stick the SIM card in and get a wifi signal within 30 feet for your phone, computer etc. to access. It supports both EDGE and 3G. Stu said he has used it.
What I would do with my BB is use the UMA feature to make calls. The key to usefulness would be how much data UMA burns. Stu ran a test using an iphone 3G running Toktumi and a 3 minute call used about 1/2 a mb. If that data rate holds, voice calls would be 15 cents/U.S./min (approx.)
SO - I attempted to order the Abroadband SIM. In filling out the required info, you are asked to enter your country as one of the address fields. A pop-up appears and the U.S. is NOT one of the choices!!!! On their FAQ page they say they can sell the SIM in any of the 50 countries where the SIM operates. U.S. is on the list!
I just sent an email to customer support.

...mike

In reading Chris's msg., I am surprised that Skype seems to have cut off lots of mobile phone service, even outside of the U.S. How cutting off mobile apps outside of the U.S. would help their deal w. Verizon is beyond me.

Again - I want to publicly thank Stu for his help. IF I can get this SIM delivered, I'll try it out in Spain and Portugal (and U.S.) in the next 3 weeks.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-03-2011, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
In reading Chris's msg., I am surprised that Skype seems to have cut off lots of mobile phone service, even outside of the U.S. How cutting off mobile apps outside of the U.S. would help their deal w. Verizon is beyond me.
Many mobile network operators fear VoIP applications as the water fears the fire. Here in germany most operators even forbid VoIP in their terms of service because they want to earn on the airtime. Maybe thats why skype is very restrictive with handheld devices and operators.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2011, 11:15

Frustration reigns! One place on their web site says they ship to any of the 53 countries they provide service. That includes the U.S. Another place indicates you can go online and implies you can order from any place in the world.
Just got an email saying they only ship to 28 countries, and sent me a list. Most are EU altho the UK is one of the 28.
I just sent another email asking why they limit delivery options. Also asked if they would deliver to a hotel in Spain? (Spain is one of the 28.)

Stu - In answer to another question about the "radio modem", they said:
"When you put the SIM card into a modem, it will connect automatically."

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#4)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default No Answer at phone at Abroadband - 08-03-2011, 16:05

Tried a few times between 4:25 and 4:50PM their time. Will try again in morning. The phone number they show on their web site is a MOBILE number - 19 cents/min to call via Google Voice. The web site claims they are open 9-5.

My impression is - they aren't yet ready for prime time. They only ship to a limited number of countries. And, there is no excuse for a communications company to make it hard to communicate! The phone just rings. No answering machine. No voice mail.
I figured I'd have them ship to a hotel in Spain - but I can't get someone on the phone to see if that's possible. I sent an email via their web site contact system a couple days ago to ask - but no response. Just sent another. Two earlier emails a week ago asking general questions did get a response within a day.

I just found the folloowing on their web site:
=========
How much can I surf with one MB?
One MB allows you to send about 40 text e-mails, make around 80 Google searches, surf on Facebook or LinkedIn 5 times.
With Skype mobile, one MB is enough to send and receive about 15 messages a day and make one Skype call of about 4 minutes.
============
It would appear that they expect people to use the service to make voice calls. Using their figure of 4 min per mb - cost would be 20 cents/min U.S.

...mike

Old
  (#5)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-03-2011, 20:28

my abroadband - abroadband.com
They say:
abroadband products are available in the online shop. Benefit from fast delivery and secure payment options - 24 hours a day.
Shipping within the EU (incl. Switzerland).

Old
  (#6)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-03-2011, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
my abroadband - abroadband.com
They say:
abroadband products are available in the online shop. Benefit from fast delivery and secure payment options - 24 hours a day.
Shipping within the EU (incl. Switzerland).
They seem to say different things in diff. places.
Quote from website:
====
Fast delivery with DHL
We will send your abroadband package by standard parcel post. Choose express delivery to have your abroadband package delivered more quickly. You can order abroadband easily online – 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. Benefit from our advantages when ordering online.
===========
This implies anywhere in the world.
==========
===========
Elsewhere on site:
===============
What requirements are there for online orders?

Orders may be made by all persons aged 18 or older. Deliveries can be sent to the following countries: my abroadband - abroadband.com
=======================
When you click on that link about deliveries: It gives you a list of the 53 countries where they offer service.

My point is: They obviously aren't ready for prime time. Why would they have a product that is useful to people all over the world - who travel - but make it difficult to buy! They didn't even answer their phone during business hours. Don't even have a recording that could at least say "Please call back later".

So far, haven't seen a post anywhere about/from someone who has used this product -- Not even on their Facebook page.

....mike

Old
  (#7)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-03-2011, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
They seem to say different things in diff. places.
Quote from website:
====
Fast delivery with DHL
We will send your abroadband package by standard parcel post. Choose express delivery to have your abroadband package delivered more quickly. You can order abroadband easily online – 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. Benefit from our advantages when ordering online.
===========
This implies anywhere in the world.
==========
===========
Elsewhere on site:
===============
What requirements are there for online orders?

Orders may be made by all persons aged 18 or older. Deliveries can be sent to the following countries: my abroadband - abroadband.com
=======================
When you click on that link about deliveries: It gives you a list of the 53 countries where they offer service.

My point is: They obviously aren't ready for prime time. Why would they have a product that is useful to people all over the world - who travel - but make it difficult to buy! They didn't even answer their phone during business hours. Don't even have a recording that could at least say "Please call back later".

So far, haven't seen a post anywhere about/from someone who has used this product -- Not even on their Facebook page.

....mike

The text in english is a bit misunderstanding.
In german its very clear:

They offer roaming service in 53 countries, thats the country list you referred to.
They are shipping to the EU and switzerland only. This is quite common for online shops here as within EU they can be sure to be hassle free with customs and delivery times.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#8)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-03-2011, 13:21

BTW, i've just received the sim ordered last sunday. I'm going to try it

Old
  (#9)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-03-2011, 13:45

Very good so let us know the result of the test . I guess you are trying in Italy, also regarding the voip through skype or any sip.

Old
  (#10)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-03-2011, 14:01

A speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1192327498.png (i can get speeds just like the customers of Vodafone IT. Usually, in roaming, you get slower speeds than your home network. good )
In general, navigation is fast and you can see your usage in real-time in the Cost Manager on the website. The first time you get online you have to register the sim, and then wait for 2-3 mins to get the sim activated. Then you can surf the web as you do with any internet key.

For Skype, which version should I try? PC or Android?

@mingelli: yes, in province of Milan.