PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
dchmello (Offline)

Default International SIM for Italy, Ireland, UK - 18-05-2011, 03:39

My family will be traveling to Italy, Ireland, and the UK at different times this summer. We have two unlocked GSM phones ready to go, mostly for the purpose of communicating when we are separated, but we would also like to be able to call to and from the US as well. I realize that one option is to buy SIM cards in each country as we travel, but for this trip I would like to keep the same phone numbers for the duration of the trip, and if possible I would like to buy them before traveling, so we will have the phone numbers ahead of time.

My number one criterion is call coverage, and I can't seem to find any coverage maps online. We plan to travel to some more remote areas of all three countries. Per minute charges are less critical, since we don't plan to have lengthy conversations.

The ability to send text (SMS) messages between the phones would be nice as well.

I would appreciate this forum's guidance in choosing a provider that will provide good service.

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
weekilter (Offline)
Official Member

Default 18-05-2011, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchmello View Post
My family will be traveling to Italy, Ireland, and the UK at different times this summer. We have two unlocked GSM phones ready to go, mostly for the purpose of communicating when we are separated, but we would also like to be able to call to and from the US as well. I realize that one option is to buy SIM cards in each country as we travel, but for this trip I would like to keep the same phone numbers for the duration of the trip, and if possible I would like to buy them before traveling, so we will have the phone numbers ahead of time.

My number one criterion is call coverage, and I can't seem to find any coverage maps online. We plan to travel to some more remote areas of all three countries. Per minute charges are less critical, since we don't plan to have lengthy conversations.

The ability to send text (SMS) messages between the phones would be nice as well.

I would appreciate this forum's guidance in choosing a provider that will provide good service.

Thanks!
Keep this in mind if you're just going to be in Europe. The EU has mandated that roaming charges within Europe have been made more reasonable than in the past so it's possible you could get a UK SIM and roam with it in other parts of Europe.

As far as getting a SIM prior to your going on a trip you can do that with companies such as Telestial but be warned that you'll pay a really big markup for the privilege of having the number in advance. You can get international SIMs in the UK or in any of the other places you're going but as I said you'll pray a premium if you decide to get a card from a business such as Telestial before you leave.

Current SIMs:

T-Mobile US (prepaid)
T-Mobile NL (prepaid)
Fido CA (prepaid)
Orange IL (prepaid)

Old
  (#3)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-05-2011, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmykimmy View Post
i travelled to UK before and i got a global sim from the usual place
i ordered online, i got to receive it prior to my trip.since it's a global sim, i can use it worldwide.they also have a feature that u can forward all your calls from US to anywhere u travel. low rates and free incoming calls.
Just to let you know both intouch and Telestial have a high markup. I have dealt with both companies. If you are going to the UK first buy a local sim, and use it all the EU. I have vodaphone, but do your research and get the sim that fits your circumstance. To keep the sim alive you need to send a SMS once every 180 days, Of course this is for vodaphone check with your carrier. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you can get a top up card in any country to give you more credit, again I am talking vodaphone. As I travel to London on most trips to Europe I top up there so I have never needed to top up elsewhere. Hope this helps It sounds like I work for vodaphone. I do not just a good customer. I know there are cheaper rates, but this works for me.

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Last edited by andy; 19-06-2011 at 09:56.. Reason: spam removed from quote

Old
  (#4)
ronniewilliams (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-05-2011, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
You can get international SIMs in the UK or in any of the other places you're going but as I said you'll pray a premium if you decide to get a card from a business such as Telestial before you leave.
I agree with Weekilter that you must purchase an International Sim card it resolve your problem and you can use it in any country without changing your number.

Old
  (#5)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 24-05-2011, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchmello View Post

Thanks!
Since Ireland is one of the countries you will be visiting, you might consider selecting a SIM from Irish Operator Meteor? They have recently abolished roaming charges in Europe - so you will also get free incoming calls when visiting UK & Italy. Outgoing calls/texts will be at the same price in UK and Italy as in Ireland. I don't think any of the UK or Italian operators offer this kind of deal.

You can order a free SIM on-line, but they only deliver to an Irish address.

Here is the link for ordering a SIM from Meteor.

Free Meteor Sim Card | Pay As You Go Sim Card