PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default iPhone syndrome - 23-12-2009, 12:09

I recently saw an article about it which contains some prize quotes

Apple iPhone users could be suffering a form of Stockholm Syndrome, according to telecoms consultant Strand Consult.

A report by the company said iPhone users’ loyalty to the device, despite its shortcomings, is akin to that shown by hostages towards their captors – a term dubbed ‘Stockholm Syndrome’ by psychologists

John Strand, head of Strand Consult, said: ‘iPhone customers are so loyal that I don’t think there is another product or manufacturer that has such loyal customers as Apple – apart from maybe the local drug dealer.’

His report prompted hundreds of emails, many from outraged iPhone users, defending the device, ‘which again proves my point’, Strand said.

• The first iPhone was not a 3G phone: ‘What do you need 3G for? You can easily use the iPhone without using a 3G network and anyway, 3G is not particularly widespread so this is not a problem.’

• The iPhone is a low technology phone packaged in a sleek design: ‘Apple has taken the combination of the design and user interface to the next level; therefore the technological specifications don’t really matter.’

Happy Christmas, whether you have or want an iPhone or not

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 23-12-2009, 12:33

So true!! I once heard someone tell a bragging iPhone owner:
"Remember you only own one... you didn't invent it!"

Old
  (#3)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 23-12-2009, 13:44

lol. its amazing how much people spend for "Apps" that do things that are factory default for many cheap nokia or other brands cellphones or which can be downloaded as opensource/freeware....

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-12-2009, 17:13

Traffic reports for the wrong country? There's an iPhone app for that ? The Register

Quote:
It's central London and it's time to go home. So you just fire up Navigon MobileNavigator before you go, to check Traffic Live for potential bottlenecks. Hmm, looks like there's congestion around the port of Dunkerque, so we'd best rule out that short cut to Hackney via Dover and Lille.
[...]

This, presumably, is an unexpected feature of Navigon's registration process, triggered by an unusual - but not impossible - set of circumstances.
- which he goes on to explain

Old
  (#5)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-12-2009, 22:01

I like my iPhone. I need to get it unlocked so that I can use it in San Diego in February without going broke, but I find it to be indispensible. It's changed how I use a cell phone.

I had a Treo 680 before, so I wasn't exactly in the stone age with phones.

Rogers (my provider) allows iPhone tethering, though, so that is one thing that makes using the iPhone here a lot more pleasant than it would be in the US.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-12-2009, 19:30

As someone, who considers Apple products as overpriced, trendy, and overall gay accessories, I had to guffaw when reading the - completley true - article about the Stockholm Syndrome. Actually now that I understand the unfortunate psychologial phenomenon behind iphone owners' euphoric, childish behaviour when they demonstrate it publicly to their fellows, the embarrassment I felt for them now turned into pity.
But now I have to pay the wages of sin for my laughter, since I got an ipod nano for Christmas
Actually it's not that bad - when you shake it, it starts playing a random track and when you strike it with a hammer, it mutes. Unfortunately I haven't found out how to unmute it. Any hints?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 25-12-2009 at 19:36..

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-02-2010, 23:50

An insurer reveals that iPhone damage claims rise about 50% when a new model comes out, and they consider about 40% of the claims suspicious, due to the owners deliberately destroying the phone to get an upgrade as they can't stand not having the latest model

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...01002215548757

Old
  (#8)
djmonsi (Offline)
Official Member

Default 15-02-2010, 21:24

Iphon for social amateurs, blackberry for professional laggards for geeks its always nokia YouTube - Nokia Morph Concept (long)

Last edited by djmonsi; 15-02-2010 at 21:32..

Old
  (#9)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 15-02-2010, 22:49

It sounds like Microsoft may have gotten Windows Mobile 7 right in Barcelona today. As anyone seen a good review of Symbian 3.0?

Old
  (#10)
Sophia (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 02-03-2010, 18:31

Quote:
A report by the company said iPhone users’ loyalty to the device, despite its shortcomings, is akin to that shown by hostages towards their captors – a term dubbed ‘Stockholm Syndrome’ by psychologists
Haha so true! In a forum somebody recently said "multitasking is sooooo 1980's, it is stupid and confusing, Apple is soooo good to finally get rid of that, blah blah blablabla" (defend brag more silly reasoning)

It took one reply to point out that in the 1980's, multitasking had not even been INVENTED yet on our old DOS clunkers, and Windows was still an object that allowed you to look from inside your house towards the outside (and the other way around but that is generally considered rude)