I needed to buy Wifi access twice for 10eur/day ;(

Old
  (#42)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-06-2009, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
i catched up englis speaking agent after many many calls. And he told me that tarif with 1,2eur/day is only for mobile use not computers. If they suspect they throttle bandwidth. For computer is new tarif 3eur/day/100m. Very disapointing! He didnt know if i change tarif. Advised me to buy new sim with proper tarif. :/
Yes... this is all as suspected, and that is why I recommended going to a 'Phone House' to pick up a new SIM. I don't understand why they cannot 'convert' the older cards into HSDPA accesible cards, but if you look at their online shop: https://tienda.yoigo.com, you will see that they sell the 2 types of SIM's as 2 distinct products! Anyhow, as you are leaving tommorow, there is no use buying a new one at 20 euros.

Just goes to show that Yoigo is no longer the product that it once was. Their voice rates and minimum consumption are also not that competitive anymore. It served me well for over a year, and it is time to move onto a new product... and that is what this thread is about!

There are places in Barcelona you can pick up free WiFI and also plenty of FON spots if you are subscribed to that! Good luck, and sorry you had a bad experience.

Old
  (#43)
seal (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 25-06-2009, 20:54

today yoigo works fine. I disabled instant messengers and only traffic from-to-my pc is smtp/pop3/http/https... so they dont throttled me maybe they do it if see "strange" traffic? that can be easliy done by netflow monitors...

Old
  (#44)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-06-2009, 22:21

You mean Yoigo throttles bandwidth when subscribers use intstant messaging? That would be really nasty!

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#45)
seal (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 26-06-2009, 13:42

im only suspect. IM uses not standard ports. i mede the test - at 23.oo opened IM, VPN (IPSEC) and at 23.30 throttled me... after 00:00 speed returned to normal

Old
  (#46)
Billbo (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-07-2009, 19:23

Anyone know where I can buy a simyo card online? I've tried ebay and googled too but nothing. Someone somewhere must be selling them for a profit?

Old
  (#47)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Talking 14-07-2009, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo View Post
Anyone know where I can buy a simyo card online?
Why not try simyo.es

No, but seriously I think you will find it hard getting such Spanish registered SIM's from 3rd party vendors online. You do get them from dodgy roadside vendors here though I've been told. Probably stolen ones!

Old
  (#48)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-09-2009, 11:23

I often get asked the same questions about sporadic internet useage in Spain by PM. As I was replying to one of these today, I realised it would be more sensible to post the answer in the public forum! In any case, others who are more qualified can refine my explanations, especially when it is about generic stuff like how to reflash a 3G modem etc.

Firstly, the question was asked if once a dongle is configured for use in one country it can be used with another SIM elswhere. My answer was:

Quote:
You will be able to use your 3G Modem dongle back in the UK after setting it up for Spain. In any case to be able to use the UK dongle in Spain in the first place, you will need to "reflash" the device. What this means is that you need to go to the dongle manufacturers website, download the generic software and replace whatever software that came preinstalled on the device with this. If this all sounds too technical, there are places on the web which explain it step by step.

You will then need to manually configure the APN (acess point name), username and password for the service you intend to use in Spain and also for the one in the UK as a separate profile. It's actually easier than it all sounds, as any one provider (e.g. o2, Vodafone, T Mobile etc.) uses just one common username, password and APN.

Prepaidgsm.net user Inquisitor maintains a Wiki on everthing to do with 3G Modems. He also has much more experience and knowledge with how to set these up. His wiki is at: 3G modem wiki Home - 3G modem wiki
Secondly, I had been asked advice on prepaid data plans and on what the catch is with Simyo.

Quote:
You could consider any of the following:
Yoigo
Simyo Data plan
Blau Bimgo
Masmovil

Masmovil has an English language website, and English speaking customer service. Depending on how little you may use it, they do data at 3c/MB. The Blau deal is 21,50 Euros a month but only for the months you use it.

Personally I use an o2 UK Modem with a Simyo card in it. This is cheapest as it works out at 5 Euros a month.

Generally, Simyo is the cheapest prepaid data plan, but the limit is 500MB per month! For most innocent web browsing this is actually plenty. After this you get charged at 9c per MB, which is not exactly bad either!

The biggest problem with Simyo is that you cannot buy it in a shop. You have to buy it online (here) and get it posted to you in Spain, and you have to be phsically there to receive the package.

Also, they are a low cost provider and their customer service centre is slow and appaling, should you ever have any problems. Think of them as the Ryanair of the mobile phone world.

I personally haven't had any significant problems, but another user has PM'd me about problems relating to porting numbers onto their network, slow communications and a very late refund. Also their customer service centre does not speak English, unlike masmovil.es or in some rare cases Yoigo!

Old
  (#49)
guitareth (Offline)

Default 15-09-2009, 11:52

Must admit my own experience with Simyo was very bad. Signed up including porting of number from HitsMobile.es. They took my money and then advised me after a few days that they could not port my number from Hits as they aren't a Spanish provider!!?? They then failed to respond to several emails and it took ages to get my payment refunded

I then tried MasMovil, who incidentally had no problem porting my number from Hits, and their customer service has been excellent, plus it was very useful to me that most of website is available in English and they have English speaking customer service available, who will phone you back if not available when you call. Been with MasMovil a few weeks now and very happy with their coverage and costs

Old
  (#50)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-09-2009, 12:21

Thanks guitareth for the feedback!

I must admit it was me who so convincingly recommended Simyo to guitareth in the first place! As I said, they really are a bit like Ryanair or even Betamax. When all is going well, it does exactly what it says on the tin! However, when things go wrong, forget about any Customer Service!