PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
einai (Offline)

Default Factory Unlocked iPhone in Italy - 23-04-2011, 00:01

Hello,

I apologise in advance if this question is obvious--I read through the other threads, but since most people are not bringing an unlocked iPhone with them, there doesn't seem to be much information on this question.

If I understand correctly, it is possible to go to a TIM or Vodafone dealer and get a rechargeable SIM card which I can put in my unlocked iPhone and then use pay-as-you-go (ricaricabile)?

My concern is the bad experience I had with my carrier here in Canada--when I put their SIM in my factory unlocked iPhone4, it immediately locked the phone to their network (I have a multi-year contract with them). The phone would no longer accept other SIMs, and I have had to return it to Apple.

Thus I am bringing an unused factory unlocked iPhone with me. Am I correct in assuming that a generic SIM from one of these providers will allow me to use their network, but also not lock up the phone to them?

That would seem to be the point of their selling unlocked phones for Euro 700 in the first place--you could get the phone from TIM and then switch to Vodafone.

E

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-04-2011, 14:19

You can put any Italian sim card in your unlocked iPhone, not only TIM and Vodafone, but also Wind, 3 and the various MVNOs, no problem at all. No one will lock your phone.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim