PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#41)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Just in time for the Olympics... - 08-01-2012, 21:51

Amigo mobiles can now also roam in the UK, and in Germany.

Old
  (#42)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-01-2012, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by babble View Post
Amigo mobiles can now also roam in the UK, and in Germany.
Thanks for spotting that, also includes France and Spain, plus South Africa, as well as many central/south America countries. But at US$2.66/min in/out for voice calls in Europe (double the US/Canada price), 78c for outgoing sms, it's not exactly cheap. Data is US$17/MB.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#43)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Mexican telephone tariffs are not intended to be affordable - 11-01-2012, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
But at US$2.66/min in/out for voice calls in Europe (double the US/Canada price), 78c for outgoing sms, it's not exactly cheap. Data is US$17/MB.
Telcel's roaming tariffs are not intended to be affordable for the majority of its customers, and especially not for those who roam with a prepaid sim. However, amigo sims can receive SMS text messages for free while roaming.

Replying to incoming mexican text messages is not so easy, if you prefer not to pay telcel's outgoing roaming rates. And unfortunately, there are not so many reliable methods of sending an SMS into Mexico without using a mexican mobile phone. But sometimes it can be done cheaply online using, for example, fishtext (2 euro cents per text message). For these texts to be received successfully in Mexico, they have to be sent anonymously and in the format: 00521 plus 10-digit mobile number.

Just how affordable are telcel's roaming fees?

Well, some of my neighbours cannot afford to buy even the most basic nokia phone, and the amigo blackberry global roaming fee looks perhaps a little excessive at 448,80 USD per month (30 days x 14.96 USD), even for wealthier mexicans who travel abroad. Especially so, when someone who can top-up a tesco sim in the UK can get an almost identical roaming service for 5 GBP per month.

Look at it this way: for 450 USD per month, I could buy more tacos than I could ever eat!

Old
  (#44)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Amigo network expansion... - 11-02-2012, 15:58

And the latest country to join the amigo roaming network is... let me open the envelope... Switzerland! ... Welcome Switzerland!

Old
  (#45)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default At Tesco, "Every little helps" - 03-03-2012, 20:35

Is someone important at telcel reading this thread? I ask because the amigo blackberry international roaming charge has just been reduced!

The 30-day international blackberry roaming charge is now 55.10 USD plus the normal 30-day national mexican blackberry charge (499 pesos). Giving a total charge of 55 USD + 39 USD = 94 USD = 1200 pesos. (As before, you still need to have a normal national Blackberry plan, even when you are roaming!)

Roaming is still somewhat expensive, Carlos!

For 1200 pesos a month, I can buy 100 kg of tortillas.

Old
  (#46)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Ignorance and bliss... - 12-03-2012, 21:13

Amigo customers no longer have to worry about their roaming costs. They can now explore the world with complete ignorance and bliss...

Because Telcel has deleted all price details of its international roaming tariffs from its website... Which kind of makes sense if they are not so affordable to customers...

Old
  (#47)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default My final post on prepaidgsm ... - 13-03-2012, 18:44

A few abbreviations for non-Mexicans:

COFETEL (Comisión Federal de Telecomunicaciones) - the Mexican telecoms regulator.
SCT (SecretarÃ*a de Comunicaciones y Transportes) - the Mexican Ministry with ultimate reponsibility for telecoms.
COFECO (Comisión Federal de Competencia) - the Mexican antitrust authority.

For anyone who thought telcel's roaming tariff would be available on COFETEL's website - Wrong! COFETEL does not know!
Telcel-Dipsa. Indice general

For anyone who thought telcel's roaming tariff would be available to the SCT - Wrong! The SCT does not yet realise that no one knows!

For anyone who thinks telcel's roaming tariff should be available to everyone, including COFECO - Wrong! COFECO will wait until everyone knows that no one knows!

¡Pues, hasta luego, y gracias por el pescado! Bye!

Last edited by babble; 13-03-2012 at 19:32..

Old
  (#48)
vorth (Offline)

Default Data for Blackberry 9700 Canada - 14-03-2012, 13:44

Hi guys.

I am going to Cancun tomorrow. I desperately need some Data for my Unlocked Blackberry 9700.

The Telcel "passport" pre-paid things looked great. However, when I called them; they told me that BBM (Blackberry messenger) will not work with their data. Most of my friends are on BBM, and I really would like to use it.

How should I go by getting data for my blackberry, and I really want to use bbm.

thanks.

Old
  (#49)
delfn (Offline)

Default 14-03-2012, 17:12

buy telcel amigo prepaid sim in cancun

there are 2 kinds of data services

a normal data service for laptop/pc/usb stick/iphone/android for normal internet browsers, normal email
and a separate blackberry data service for use only with bb phone for bbm, bb email, bb browser and bb apps

you only need the blackberry data service
bb data service can be renewed/extended every 1/15/30 days

first you will need help from telcel shop assistant to active the bb data service
no longer possible to active bb data service online

insert sim into bb phone and switch on
then easiest to go to telcel.blackberry.com from normal pc to activate your new mexican rim account for bbm and bb email

diesmal, ähm, macht’s gut, und danke für den Fisch. Tschüs

Old
  (#50)
ucladave (Offline)

Default 18-03-2012, 04:06

I will be going on a cruise march 29 and looking to use my iPhone 3G strictly for data while in the ports (cabo, puerto Vallarta). I'd want one of the prepaid plans for data and would ideally lime to get a hold of the sim card before I left the states. I'd rather not spend half of one of my port days getting the sim activated and data loaded. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've tried to call telcel and Movistar but cant seem to locate a number to talk English to anyone.