PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
sgmidf (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Using AT&T iPhone in Europe - 26-08-2009, 19:23

I'm going to Europe (Portugal and northern France) and am borrowing my friend's AT&T iPhone 2G that I've jailbroken and unlocked. I've got an overseas Vodaphone SIM (from Amex) to use but I only want to use wifi for data to avoid data charges on the Vodaphone account. If I set data roaming to "Off" will that do the trick? I'm concerned as I may not actually be roaming on this sim.

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-08-2009, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmidf View Post
I'm going to Europe (Portugal and northern France) and am borrowing my friend's AT&T iPhone 2G that I've jailbroken and unlocked. I've got an overseas Vodaphone SIM (from Amex) to use but I only want to use wifi for data to avoid data charges on the Vodaphone account. If I set data roaming to "Off" will that do the trick? I'm concerned as I may not actually be roaming on this sim.

Thanks
Data Roaming setting only affects roaming. If you are in that Vodafone SIM's home country, you will get data. I think the only sure way is to take the SIM outwhen you're ready to use WiFi. Or maybe you can get Vodafone to disable all data on the SIM from their side.

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-08-2009, 20:40

As long as the home network is not configured to accept any access point (APN) configured (as it's the case for O2 Germany), you can avoid data connections by setting a non-existant access point.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-08-2009, 20:57

Try airplane mode too to disable all the data services. Not sure if airplane mode on an iphone disables wifi too.

Old
  (#5)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-08-2009, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
Try airplane mode too to disable all the data services. Not sure if airplane mode on an iphone disables wifi too.
It does disable WiFi.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.