PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Smile unlocking the endless subject - 10-04-2009, 17:57

Dear guys,

bring your stuff to Vienna to Semaf Electronics - www.entsperren.org / Startseite

They unlock nearly everything, also data cards, sticks, modems, Blackberrys etc.etc. for 10-20 €.

Have a look!

Old
  (#22)
siskiou (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 10-04-2009, 18:16

I'm back from my visit to Germany, and used my unlocked T-Mobile card, plus an O2 sim (I tried one of their Freikarten to see if it worked and then loaded it and ordered their unlimited internet for one month).

This worked in most areas I went to. As long as I was in or near a major city, things were fine, but in less lived in areas, the only available UMTS net that showed up was T-Mobile.

Old
  (#23)
StefanoA (Offline)

Default Prepaid data/internet in Germany - 11-04-2009, 08:06

Hi everybody,

I'm going to stay in Germany for business a couple of weeks on next may.

My current data USIM and plan by 3 are good in Italy, but not convenient abroad (0.5€/MB).

Therefore I'm looking for some prepaid card + USB modem to be able to download and surf over internet while being in Frankfurt.

I searched over several German phone companies, but almost everything is written in German and I'm not able to read it... I hope to find here someone so kind to help me in finding some possible solution.

Thanks in advance
StefanoA

Old
  (#24)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2009, 09:19

I think Tchibo is the most interesting offer for you. You'll find detailed information on German prepaid offers including Tchibo at Germany - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#25)
StefanoA (Offline)

Default 11-04-2009, 13:25

Thanks for your prompt reply,

I'm checking your link and trying to get in contact with Tchibo for details and confirmation (I hope no problem arise from being non German!).

I'll keep all incoming news updated on this thread...

Old
  (#26)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2009, 17:30

Regarding the USB modem including SIM card, you'll find information at Tchibo - Internet Stick inkl. Prepaid SIM-Karte

However for regular Tchibo SIM cards purchased separtely (without USB modem) data options are not officially available. So don't expect Tchibo to confirm any of the infos in the linked article, which btw was written by me. But believe me, it works flawlessly - I've several friends, who use Tchibo's data options with a regular SIM card.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#27)
StefanoA (Offline)

Default 11-04-2009, 18:59

Ok, your second link looks even better to me:

please check if I understand well:

1) I can buy directly such kit at any Tchibo shop (or buy it online and let it ship to some German address) without signing any "long" contract (such as 24 months or similar). Just pay and get it.

2) With 50€ I get the USB modem, the prepaid SIM and 10GB of traffic within one month from activation.

3) Finally, I just havo to plug the SIM into the USB stick, the stick into my notebook, install required driver/software and activate the account to be able to surf for 1 month/10GB well and fast enough?

If I understood all well, I think I solved my problem thanks to you!

Old
  (#28)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2009, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanoA View Post
1) I can buy directly such kit at any Tchibo shop (or buy it online and let it ship to some German address) without signing any "long" contract (such as 24 months or similar). Just pay and get it.
Generally you can buy the Tchibo "Internet Stick" online and in any Tchibo shop, but that bundle is not a permanent offer but is only sold during promotions. So hurry up as it could be sold out and it could take weeks until they start another promotion. Until now Tchibo has sold the stick three times (in December 2008, February 2009 and in April 2009).
As we are in a prepaid GSM forum, the offer of course is without any contract. So you can buy it and use it without any obligation. You just need to register with Tchibo upon purchase, which isn't a problem even for non-residents.

Quote:
2) With 50€ I get the USB modem, the prepaid SIM and 10GB of traffic within one month from activation.
Yes. But keep in mind, that the USB modem is netlocked. If you want to use with another SIM card than O2 Germany's, you'll need to unlock it for € 15.

Quote:
3) Finally, I just havo to plug the SIM into the USB stick, the stick into my notebook, install required driver/software and activate the account to be able to surf for 1 month/10GB well and fast enough?
Yes, just plug in the stick and the access software including drivers will automatically start to install. 10GB is more than enough for a month and bandwidth depends on network coverage. If you are within 3G coverage, you'll get up to 3.6 MBit/s, while you'll get 200 KBit/s in the regular GSM-network.

Old
  (#29)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-04-2009, 21:54

I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this.

My brother and I bought one during the December promotion. We filled out a form, using our hotel address and returned to the Tchibo store. I seem to remember we also had to call a number to activate the SIM -- I don't remember if we did that from a mobile or whether we put the Tchibo SIM into unlocked phone.

The stick worked fine in both my brothers window laptop and my Macbook. The software automatically installs when you connect the stick. It worked flawlessly.

I am headed back to Germany next month for three weeks and I hope to use it again. It appears (thanks Inquisitor) that all I'll need to do is purchase a €20 top up and then using the software loaded from the stick, send an SMS to activate.

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#30)
StefanoA (Offline)

Default 11-04-2009, 22:21

Once again thanks for your prompt and precise reply.

Now everything is clear for me. I'll manage to buy immediately one stick online (I'll check if it's possible to let it be shipped to my hotel in Frankfurt).

One more time Internet was the right place to provide me the best solution.

I'd would be happy to offer a good German beer to all of you in case we can meet in Frankfurt in first middle of may!