PrePaidGSM.net Forum
Travelsim
PrePaidGSM Home National Operators International Cards Contacts Links



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#1)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Specialist
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 771
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default Mexico and SIMple Calling [single US number SIM only] - 16-09-2010, 20:49

Does anyone have recent information if SIMple Calling [ekit] works in Mexico? SMS and/or voice?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
teleroam (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: 01 Jul 2010

Country:
Default 25-09-2010, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
Does anyone have recent information if SIMple Calling [ekit] works in Mexico? SMS and/or voice?
The US/Canada (single number) ekit sim will longer register on either Telcel or Movistar. At one time it could receive SMS. Not now.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Specialist
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 771
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default Mexico info. - 25-09-2010, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleroam View Post
The US/Canada (single number) ekit sim will longer register on either Telcel or Movistar. At one time it could receive SMS. Not now.

Thanks for the response. Good to know. This will free up two SIM slots on one of my cell phones. [Of course I will test and verify also---but at least I will not be suprised.] I am taking a short cruise in December: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Mexico [Ensenada?].

As a side note, ekit's UK ebay seller [ekitmobile] has US only SIMple Calling SIM cards again for a lower price then the still offered dual IMSI [US & UK phone numbers] SIM cards.

Of the six ekit cards [2 single US number], a Truphone, and a T-Mobile SIM, the best prepaid rate I have for Mexico is the T-Mobile at $1.49 a minute. T-Mobile has the best SMS from Mexico also: 35cents.

Thanks for response.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
adam917 (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Fan
 
Posts: 187
Join Date: 14 Sep 2008
Location: North America

Country:
Default 25-09-2010, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post

Thanks for the response. Good to know. This will free up two SIM slots on one of my cell phones. [Of course I will test and verify also---but at least I will not be suprised.] I am taking a short cruise in December: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Mexico [Ensenada?].

As a side note, ekit's UK ebay seller [ekitmobile] has US only SIMple Calling SIM cards again for a lower price then the still offered dual IMSI [US & UK phone numbers] SIM cards.

Of the six ekit cards [2 single US number], a Truphone, and a T-Mobile SIM, the best prepaid rate I have for Mexico is the T-Mobile at $1.49 a minute. T-Mobile has the best SMS from Mexico also: 35cents.

Thanks for response.
Maybe you might want to look into getting an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I believe voice in Mexico is only 0.25 $/minute.


Active SIMs:
2007-05-14: T-Mobile post-paid (USA: 267)
2007-12: T-Mobile pre-paid (USA: 857)
2009-01-21: Mobal World (UK)
2010-06-08: TracFone (USA: 215)
2011-03-12: Tru (USA: 305)
2011-08-01: AT&T pre-paid (USA: 212)
2011-08-22: Spot Mobile (USA: 603)
 Send a message via ICQ to adam917 Send a message via AIM to adam917 Send a message via MSN to adam917 Send a message via Yahoo to adam917 Send a message via Skype™ to adam917 
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
teleroam (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: 01 Jul 2010

Country:
Default 26-09-2010, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Maybe you might want to look into getting an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I believe voice in Mexico is only 0.25 $/minute.
Yes, that's the best deal for a US sim in Mexico (it roams on Telcel).

But it does cost $100 a year (or more) to keep active, probably not cost-effective for a three day trip.

25c/min incoming, and 25c outgoing to the US and Canada is a bargain. 50c to send a text, 20c to receive. Forget about data though at nearly $20/MB!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Specialist
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 771
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default excellent point - 26-09-2010, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Maybe you might want to look into getting an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I believe voice in Mexico is only 0.25 $/minute.

Excellent point, however, part of my choice involves using SIMs I already have and trying to lower their balances. I don't have any at&t balance and I do have $40+ on T-Mobile and more on various ekits. Don't travel enough to let the balances get too high or risk losing them through lack of use.
thanks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Expert
 
Posts: 389
Join Date: 10 Dec 2006
Location: Regina, SK, CA

Country:
Default 02-10-2010, 01:14

AT&T doesn't include free calling to Canada - there is a toll charge (35 cents?) atop the normal per-minute rate.

Otherwise, I agree - AT&T is the best SIM to use in Mexico unless native Mexican prepaid calling is cheaper.


CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.
 Send a message via ICQ to PhotoJim Send a message via MSN to PhotoJim Send a message via Yahoo to PhotoJim Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoJim 
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
teleroam (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: 01 Jul 2010

Country:
Default 02-10-2010, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
AT&T doesn't include free calling to Canada - there is a toll charge (35 cents?) atop the normal per-minute rate.
Did that change recently? In March the AT&T Go Phone (prepaid) was reported as costing the same to call Canada (from Mexico) as calling the US:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/amer...-mexico-3.html
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Expert
 
Posts: 389
Join Date: 10 Dec 2006
Location: Regina, SK, CA

Country:
Default 03-10-2010, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleroam View Post
Did that change recently? In March the AT&T Go Phone (prepaid) was reported as costing the same to call Canada (from Mexico) as calling the US:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/amer...-mexico-3.html
It certainly wasn't toll-free to Canada last February when I was in San Diego. I didn't try it when I was in Rapid City, SD in September.

I'll be in Buffalo, NY at the end of the month; I can try it then and see what happens.


CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.
 Send a message via ICQ to PhotoJim Send a message via MSN to PhotoJim Send a message via Yahoo to PhotoJim Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoJim 
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
teleroam (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: 01 Jul 2010

Country:
Default 03-10-2010, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It certainly wasn't toll-free to Canada last February when I was in San Diego. I didn't try it when I was in Rapid City, SD in September.
That's where the confusion is. We're discussing roaming in MEXICO (not making calls from the US). In Mexico (only) the AT&T prepaid GoPhone costs the same to call the Canada as to call the US.

(AT&T does show a 19c surcharge to call Canada from within the US).
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net