PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Micro SIMs in Germany - 25-04-2010, 18:12

So I have a 3G iPad coming the end of the month and I'd like to use it when traveling to Germany (and leave my laptop behind). But it uses a Micro-SIM.

So is there any word on which carriers will be introducing Micro-SIMs (or those that already have) and will they have a decent prepaid data plans? Currently I use Vodoafone Websessions and Tchibo, depending on length of stay for data (I was lucky enough go get one of the unlocked Huawei modems from Tchibo) and Solomo Pro for voice.

Thanks in advance.

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#2)
ms93 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 25-04-2010, 18:35

Isn't microSIM just smaller? You can cut normal SIM a bit and it will fit - that plastic which you have to cut doesn't contain any electronics.

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-04-2010, 20:54

Simyo will do them.

See this post and its thread: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/mobi...html#post31714

Old
  (#4)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-04-2010, 11:02

blau.de also sells micro sims.
unfortunately they do not only have a smaller gemoetry but also a different chip inside.

chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#5)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-04-2010, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
unfortunately they do not only have a smaller gemoetry but also a different chip inside.
chris
So cutting them does not work? What about this guide on how to make a DIY microSIM?
How to make your own iPad micro SIM | News | TechRadar UK

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-04-2010, 15:05

Yet another tutorial, supposing a self-cut SIM should work in the iPad:
Convert Mini SIM in to Micro SIM for iPad 3G Yourself | iPad

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#7)
ms93 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 26-04-2010, 15:40

Wikipedia says:
Quote:
Even smaller device sizes have prompted the development of a smaller still card size, the 3FF (Mini SIM) or Micro SIM. Micro SIM cards have the same thickness and contact arrangement again, but the length and width are further reduced to 15 mm × 12 mm. The specifications for the 3FF or Micro SIM also include additional functionality beyond changing the physical card size. [...]
The micro-SIM was created with backwards compatibility in mind. The major issue with backwards compatibility was the contact area of the chip. Retaining the same contact area allows the micro-SIM to be compatible with the previous, larger SIM readers through the use of plastic cutout surrounds. The micro-SIM was also designed to run at the same speed (5 MHz) as the previous version.
So I think there won't be problem after cutting it. Just try to buy any normal SIM in US before leaving, cut it and see if it works - if yes, you can do the same in Germany.

Old
  (#8)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Cutting SIMS... - 30-04-2010, 07:30

Somewhere I saw a picture of the new AT&T MicroSim for the iPad.

It was the usual credit card sized holder where you punch out the SIM. The twist was the SIM also had punch outs -- you could punch out a regular size SIM or a Micro SIM. That would seem to say cutting a regular SIM down to size should work.

But I'm a software guy and that sounds too much like hardware, so I'll just buy one

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#9)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 13-05-2010, 11:00

Also Fonic will start selling micro SIMs from June on its website.

Fonic: Mobildiscounter bietet iPad-Tarif ab Juni - News - CHIP Online

Old
  (#10)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 14-05-2010, 21:29

It should be noted that a standard SIM card already includes an adapter, namely for the original credit-card-sized SIM specification. (However, the smaller SIM size has been used from the start - for example, the Motorola International 3200 from 1993 takes it, while the Siemens S3com from 1995 uses the credit card size.) Remember that in the early days of GSM, mobile phones were extremely expensive, and phone cards with chips were a standard size, so the thought was a) a credit-card-sized SIM would be easy to transfer between units, particularly in cars and office pools and b) it was theoretically possible to adapt them for use them in a payphone as a phone card (as was possible with the pre-GSM German C-Netz SIM-like cards).

Having said that, the micro-SIM seems like a pointless idea - you've got a worldwide standard, and now they want to break this for the sake of making it only a couple of millimeters - a few percent - shorter, spurred by a device that has plenty of space for a standard SIM. It's stuff like this that made me stop being a Mac user ages ago.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell