PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Devilish (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Traveling to Hong Kong and mainland China - 05-09-2008, 03:37

Hello Everyone,
Last time when I traveled to Hong Kong I used my United-Mobile sim card with an unlocked Moto. Razor. I was wondering what is the best way to get a GSM SIM card for the upcoming trip to Hong Kong and China in October. Please let me know if its better to get a SIM Card here (In United State) or just purchase one when I get there. Also please let me know which one is better in term of service and price. I recall there were so many brands and cards when I was looking around town.

Thank you in advance.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-09-2008, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Hello Everyone,
Last time when I traveled to Hong Kong I used my United-Mobile sim card with an unlocked Moto. Razor. I was wondering what is the best way to get a GSM SIM card for the upcoming trip to Hong Kong and China in October. Please let me know if its better to get a SIM Card here (In United State) or just purchase one when I get there. Also please let me know which one is better in term of service and price. I recall there were so many brands and cards when I was looking around town.

Thank you in advance.
It is better to buy them when you get there. You can buy a CSL prepaid at the Travelex Currency Exchange right after customs in HK. There is a 7-11 in the airport closer to the trains that sells People's SIMs. People has two plans. The one with slightly higher local rates has real good international rates. People SIMs at least work in Schenzen and Macau. I think they work everywhere in Mainland China, but you are paying roaming.

If you go the phone centre at Mong Kok, you can buy mainland SIMs in HK, but you pay a little more and more importantly you probably wind up with a Shenzen number. I'd probably fly to Mainland China with an HK SIM in my pocket and buy a mainland one at your leisure.

Word of warning -- VOIP is usually blocked in Shanghai. Also get a calling card to call the US. There is one called Ma-Ma which is pretty cheap.

Old
  (#3)
Fling (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 31-10-2008, 05:56

Yes buy a People's sim in HK.

Last time I was there in HK I bought a prepaid People's sim and use it to call numbers in HK. Then I use my Onesuite prepaid calling card for calling U.S. and other international numbers. Just dial Onesuite access number 1502-131 then your PIN and then the destination number (with the prefix 1 for US and Canada numbers and 011 for other countries.) It works in China too.

Old
  (#4)
Fling (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 02-12-2010, 06:52

I just checked now and Onesuite rates from HK to US is only 2.5c per minute. Just use your mobile for calling HK numbers and use a phone card like Onesuite to call US.

Old
  (#5)
noah (Offline)

Default 03-09-2011, 10:05

Can anyone provide me a price comparison for HK pre paid SIM card?
the face value
the local charges
data charges
selling price to user

Thanks

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2011, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Can anyone provide me a price comparison for HK pre paid SIM card?
the face value
the local charges
data charges
selling price to user

Thanks
see the National Operators link at the top of the page

and on the country page you can also click on the network logo to link to the networks' own websites