PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#31)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-12-2006, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick View Post
Why don't you like it so much? It has tracks hidden under the ground, which is not that bad itself, while other railway stations occupy much space around because of the tracks. Honestly, I almost don't remember Warszawa Centralna, but it didn't look THAT horrible for me.
It's not about the station itself but rather about the people you can meet there: thefts, beggars, homeless, drug-addicts etc. . And the station has too few tickets offices open during peak hours.

Quote:
Well, how do you call it? Let me recollect... Przechowanie bagazy? I believe it should be at the station.
Almost correct - "Przechowalnia bagażu" . It's possible that it's also "labeled" in English, Russian and some other languages... AFAIK it's located in the northern corridor parallel to the tracks, one level over the platforms. This corridor has exits to the fancy-shaped "Złote Tarasy" building (under construction), it's just the opposite side of the station than that facing the Marriott Hotel. Left-luggage rooms are both coin-paid self-service lockers and "human-powered" facility .

Quote:
Anyway, I visited Warszawa 4 or 5 times in 90s so I actually know how to go to the Old Town and for how long. I guess Old Town is a good idea waiting for a connection to the Krakow express, I'll have 4-5 free hours there.
Hmm, what time do you arrive so that you have to wait so long? Between 6:05 and 20:05 express/Intercity trains to Kraków leave every hour (or every two hours at worst)...

Quote:
Have Poles ever considered the idea of demolishing this building?
Of course, but not seriously, I think . It would be not only the (very high) cost of demolishing itself, but also of transferring really non-stalinist institutions and businnesses located there.

Quote:
Oh, VISA/MC is a great idea, I prefer it over cash. Nevertheless, I believe a KANTOR will be near too.
Sure, no problem, as well as many ATMs ("Bankomat").

Old
  (#32)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-12-2006, 20:00

Quote:
Old Town is more than 15 minutes walk, especially with luggage.
True, but you can lock away the luggage as described (instructions in Russian as well). While the Old Town is itself more than 15 minutes away, the "interesting bit" of Warsaw surrounding the Old Town is less than 15 min away (Marszalkowska, Nowy Swiat, Krakowskie Przedmiescie, etc.). Anyway, if we said "Go to the Old Town, it's only a 25 minute walk" he might stay in the station after all...

Quote:
PKiN is Warsaw's tallest skyscraper built 1952-1955 as a "gift of the USSR for Poland". It's similar to its "brothers" in Moscow (like Lomonosov University) - I don't think it's a big attraction for a Russian .
And, as often said, it's got a great view, because it's the one place in Warsaw where you can't see PKiN! But you're right about the price being too high.

But back to mobile phones and Wa-wa Centralna. There are several little shops in the lower level, particularly on the north-east side of the station, that sell SIM cards and the like. I don't think there's really anything there that Asick might need after the visit to the Plus store, but if anyone wants to collect all the prepaid SIMs in a hurry, that would be a place to start...

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#33)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-12-2006, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
And, as often said, it's got a great view, because it's the one place in Warsaw where you can't see PKiN! But you're right about the price being too high.
This price is so high also because it usually includes entrance to some exhibitions in PKiN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
But back to mobile phones and Wa-wa Centralna. There are several little shops in the lower level, particularly on the north-east side of the station, that sell SIM cards and the like. I don't think there's really anything there that Asick might need after the visit to the Plus store, but if anyone wants to collect all the prepaid SIMs in a hurry, that would be a place to start...
Basically you're right but I'm not sure whether such shops sell just iPlus simdata SIMs. Those SIMs are very specific after all

Some other addresses of Plus dealers close to the station:

Vobis Digital
Al. Jerozolimskie/Al. Jana Pawła II paw. nr 61
I don't know the exact location but it must somewhere near the station.
Al. Jana Pawła II is a wide street with the viaduct over Al. Jerozolimskie near Warszawa Centralna and Marriott.

Vobis Digital Sienna 39, near the chracteric Intercontinental Hotel
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterContinental_Warszawa

Inter Consult S.A. al. Jana Pawła II 11 (corner of Sienna).
Go towards the group of skyscrapers.

mPunkt Polska S.A. al. Jerozolimskie 11/19 (opposite Smyk department store, go east towards this palm on the de Gaulle roundabout http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sztuczn...7a_w_Warszawie)

Last edited by Przemolog; 27-12-2006 at 21:20.. Reason: added adresses

Old
  (#34)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 30-12-2006, 19:23

Hello, guys! I don't have enough time to answer all your messages completely but I can just tell my story. Well, I arrived at Warszawa Centralna about 6:30 in the morning, and I was at the very opening of the Plus store at 8:00 (it's really near to the railway station, from the same side of the skyscraper foundation). I bought there iPlus simdata (by the way, all the dealer shops in the underground passages was closed so early) and I use it without problems here in Krakow. Really cheap GPRS and fast enough, although I see some delays in the evenings (it's a bit more speedy in the morning here). There is no free WiFi in the hotel, I just see some Orange WiFi nets, which could be connected without authorization but show just the Orange site with their pay internet access offer. I don't think it's a good idea, it seems it should be paid via an Orange SIM by SMS or something similar, which is useless for me. I have not made experiments with the hotel phone yet, I'm afraid it's a digital one, it has to many functions to be a 'normal' analog phone. I don't want to harm anything connecting an analog modem to a digital phone line.

Well, happy new year from Krakow, which is really nice city, a bit snowy and cold (-2..0) with a great New Year spirit!

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#35)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 30-12-2006, 22:00

Quote:
Hello, guys! I don't have enough time to answer all your messages completely but I can just tell my story. Well, I arrived at Warszawa Centralna about 6:30 in the morning, and I was at the very opening of the Plus store at 8:00 (it's really near to the railway station, from the same side of the skyscraper foundation). I bought there iPlus simdata (by the way, all the dealer shops in the underground passages was closed so early) and I use it without problems here in Krakow. Really cheap GPRS and fast enough, although I see some delays in the evenings (it's a bit more speedy in the morning here).
It's great you did it .

Quote:
There is no free WiFi in the hotel, I just see some Orange WiFi nets, which could be connected without authorization but show just the Orange site with their pay internet access offer. I don't think it's a good idea, it seems it should be paid via an Orange SIM by SMS or something similar, which is useless for me.
http://www.hotspot.orange.pl/index.php?lngver=en
Well, this solution in the prepaid version is pretty stupid because you can pay either via Orange premium rate SMS (what requires having an Orange SIM, I suppose) or special scratch cards, completely different from "regular" cards used to top-up POP or Orange SIM. Those cards should be available in hotspot locations but are they? I doin't know.

Quote:
I have not made experiments with the hotel phone yet, I'm afraid it's a digital one, it has to many functions to be a 'normal' analog phone. I don't want to harm anything connecting an analog modem to a digital phone line.
If it's an ISDN line you really shouldn't try if don't have an ISDN modem .

Quote:
Well, happy new year from Krakow, which is really nice city, a bit snowy and cold (-2..0) with a great New Year spirit!
Nice to hear that - enjoy your stay!

Old
  (#36)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 31-12-2006, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
It's great you did it .
Yes, I did it! Honestly, it was much easier than I expected, thanks a lot for your help that made it so easy.

Quote:
Those cards should be available in hotspot locations but are they? I doin't know.
Yeah, this was what I understood too. The problem is that these cards provide just some short time access (such as 2 hours) while I need it for long time basis. I'd like to pay some money for a week access but it seems it's impossible. So I think it's useless for me unless I need Skype to talk for an hour or something similar. GPRS is quite OK to send messages etc. so I keep using it. One more question is how to recharge. Can I use any Plus scratch cards to top up iPlus Simdata?

Quote:
If it's an ISDN line you really shouldn't try if don't have an ISDN modem .
I know , so I'd better not try this.

Quote:
Nice to hear that - enjoy your stay!
So, I'm enjoying. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#37)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 31-12-2006, 13:25

Quote:
GPRS is quite OK to send messages etc. so I keep using it. One more question is how to recharge. Can I use any Plus scratch cards to top up iPlus Simdata?
Yes, any Simplus top-up (scratch card, printout from a terminal, top-up via ATM - "bankomat") will be OK (but not Sami Swoi!).
Top-ups are sold from ATM's of the following banks (Visa, MC, Maestro cards):
Euronet
PKO BP
BZ WBK
INVEST - BANK
Spółdzielcza Grupa Bankowa (SGB)
Bank Ochrony Środowiska (BOŚ)
Nordea Bank
Bank Gospodarki Żywnościowej (BGŻ)
Bank BPH
Bank Polskiej Spółdzielczosci (BPS)
Eurobank (Visa cards only)
Mazowiecki Bank Regionalny (MBR)

If you make top-up via ATM, you have to specify the SIM number in the 9-digit format and the balance will be increased immediately. The only exception are PKO BP ATM's which just print 14-digit top-up codes (equivalent to those of the scratch cards).
Pekao SA ATM's may also be labeled with GSM prepaid logos, but this functionality is available only for cards issued by this bank.

Old
  (#38)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 01-01-2007, 16:10

Quote:
Yes, any Simplus top-up (scratch card, printout from a terminal, top-up via ATM - "bankomat") will be OK (but not Sami Swoi!)
Thanks a lot for this info. However, I tried to top it up before I read this, it was yesterday on 31st. I thought I could use an ATM to top up, but I just found an opened KODAK shop, where a salesman just took money and printed me a check with a recharge code. I used it with *123... and had no problem. However, I believe today an ATM would be the only solution since any GSM/photo shops are closed now.

Happy New Year again, now from the New Year itself. I'll write my impressions about the New Year night here and Russian<->Polish differences in this celebration that I've found a bit later, I guess it would be quite interesting to discuss it.

Old
  (#39)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 01-01-2007, 19:22

Quote:
However, I believe today an ATM would be the only solution since any GSM/photo shops are closed now.
Probably some petrol stations with recharge terminals are open but they may be located far away from where you currently are....

Quote:
Happy New Year again, now from the New Year itself. I'll write my impressions about the New Year night here and Russian<->Polish differences in this celebration that I've found a bit later, I guess it would be quite interesting to discuss it.
Good idea but I think you should start a new thread in Off topic .

Old
  (#40)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 02-01-2007, 15:31

Quote:
Probably some petrol stations with recharge terminals are open but they may be located far away from where you currently are....
Oh, yeah, I agree they are far from me. I'm almost at the old town here in Krakow, so I don't see any petrol stations here close. Anyway, it seems I will not need further recharges since iPlus simdata seems to be a cheaper tariff for my needs than I initially counted.

Quote:
Good idea but I think you should start a new thread in Off topic .
No doubts it should be there.