PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mrbarlow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Experiences of Globalsim? - 05-01-2007, 11:51

I'm going to Paris next month which will be the first of a number of jaunts to continental Europe this year.

Due to the short length of stay, I don't think I can justify buying a local SIM so thought an International one would be a good idea for this (and similar future trips).

I've looked at what's there and have more or less decided on Globalsim mainly because:

1/ I like the fact that you effectively get the SIM included with the price of credit (i.e. £25 = SIM + £25 credit) rather than paying a chunk of money for the SIM.

2/ The rates seem as low (or lower) than most.

3/ The IOM number would (in theory) be preferable for incoming calls as most people likely to call me are UK-based.

The downsides would be the 180-day validity and 60/60 billing (though this seems the norm).

I have looked at GeoSim since although their (call) rates tend to be slightly higher they seem to be better in this regard but am put off slightly by the £25 cost of the SIM (i.e. £30 with only £5 credit) and an annual renewal fee of £9+VAT. Also on their call calculator I don't quite understand the secondary charge of "Each additional participant in a call to this
destination will incur a per-minute charge of..."

They don't seem to explicitly state sms charges either which would seem to be a bit of a worry...

I'd be grateful for anyone with any experience of using Globalsim to report on how good they've found the service to be or whether I'd be better off looking elsewhere?

Old
  (#2)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-01-2007, 18:47

Well, I am using GeoSIM. I can tell you it works fine. My big selling point for this card over the others, was the 30 second/6 second billing. It saves a lot in the end, over rounded-up-to-next-minute billing.

I can only say, that when I did the research 6 months ago, it seemed the prices were pretty close, but the small increment billing did it for me.

Old
  (#3)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 06-01-2007, 04:29

I was extremely satisfied when I used it 3 months ago on a trip that took me through UK, Amsterdan, and Nigeria. No surprises at all. It worked just as advertised. I also like the idea that I can get an sms with the call cost after every outgoing call (can be disabled on the web just like pretty much every other option), the free call forwarding to any number, and the fact that it does not cost to check VM.

It does need to be recharged every 6 months though...at least according to their website. Minimum topup is $20.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-01-2007, 13:06

On the Isle of Man SIMs the tariffs (including some free roaming countries) are set by the reseller, but most have the 30 then 6 second billing units, (I thought all of them until I read the OP).

Talking of Globalsim, there is and was a German operation with this name well before the UK one started using it and confusing the issue; the person behind the UK one also has another trading name borrowed from a UK company so I'm not that impressed by seeing ™ on his Globalsim branding

The renewal conditions of the CallKey brands also seem to vary; to begin with the notes in the leaflet with the SIM mentioned a possible annual fee, but a couple of dealers didn't yet know at that time. Now some specify either an annual fee or top-up every so often.

On my particular one (bought from 0044 but now transferred to Simazing - by them) I was told that there is no annual fee, but a reactivation fee if it isn't used for 6 months; the minimum top-up on this is $50.

I think the variation of renewal and top-up conditions between the various resellers could become as significant as the initial credit or the call tariff. £20 or £25 starting credit included might not be as attractive if it needs $40 or £40 a year in top-ups when most outgoing call tariffs are now near to or actually higher than using an O2 UK SIM or Vodafone Passport

And like any of these global SIMs it can be used with independent callback, so I will probably avoid topping up unless (unforeseen at the moment) I go to a country with charged incoming calls; the balance has been 18c since May. (I've never topped up my Riiing SIM in two years either)

As for the additional charge mrbarlow mentions, this is the supplement while using it for conference calls, and applies on all of the brands

Old
  (#5)
mrbarlow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-01-2007, 11:35

Thanks for all your replies, guys; food for thought.

I've just noticed that Geosim states that rates do NOT include VAT - but there is no mention of VAT on Globalsim: does anyone know whether their rates are inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

Thanks.

Old
  (#6)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-01-2007, 13:28

I was charged exactly what is stated in the rate calculator. So, I don't know of any VAT.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#7)
mrbarlow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-01-2007, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
I was charged exactly what is stated in the rate calculator. So, I don't know of any VAT.
I think this is possibly to do with the fact that you're not a resident of the EU where we have to pay varying rates of VAT (a bit like sales tax except usually quite a bit more!)

Old
  (#8)
nagyg (Offline)

Default GEOSIM - highly recommended - 07-01-2007, 22:53

I also used GEOSIM during my recent vacation in France. I had the SIM card sent to a friend in Paris and even though Geosim had it sent "no signature required", the French post office would not deliver it. In trying to figure out what had gone wrong I contacted GEOSIM's customer support and I was very impressed: responses to my emails were prompt and very helpful. I finally managed to pick it up from the post office and the card worked exactly as promised. I was not charged VAT.

Old
  (#9)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-01-2007, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
On the Isle of Man SIMs the tariffs (including some free roaming countries) are set by the reseller, but most have the 30 then 6 second billing units, (I thought all of them until I read the OP).
Which other prepaid MANX SIMs use 30 second/6 second billing? I seem to find they all seem to be rounded up next minute EXCEPT foeGeo SIM....

Old
  (#10)
mrbarlow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-01-2007, 09:16

Thanks for all your comments, guys.

I think despite the initial high cost of the SIM I am now leaning toward GEOSIM since I have also been impressed by their customer service (swift e-mail replies even late on a Saturday afternoon) and do like the 30/6 billing method.

I'll place an order over the next couple of weeks as my first overseas jaunt this year is not until the first week of February.