PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
automatics (Offline)

Default HELP! 3 Weeks Data in Italy - Newbie Questions! - 10-11-2010, 03:10

Hi all,

Hope I can tap on your wisdom. Some context. I'm from Singapore.
I'll be travelling to Italy - for 3 weeks Entire country, from North to South, and back including some remote parts.

I'm looking at 1x Prepaid SIM for my iPhone & 1x Prepaid SIM for my dongle.
Is there a SIM can be used for both?
Or must I buy separately?

Some initial questions I hope you can assist with! Thanks!!

Understand I need a Codice Fiscale.
To apply online & printout, as per Effendi's guide.

1) Which provider can you recommened as the best coverage & data plan for my above needs?

2) Arriving in Milan - Is there anywhere I can pickup a card within the Airport? As I'm a very tightly controlled tour group.

3) I read Wind has the 1GB & 10GB plans that sound great.
Do they work as good as they sound? Do I find a Wind shop, buy & plug & play?

4) Is there anything else I should be aware of when using data in Italy? Any hidden pitfalls/traps?

5) I know the answer is probably NO. but is there anyway to get a card before arriving to Italy?

Grazie tanto! Grazie mille!

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-11-2010, 10:36

Hello. In Milan there are 2 airports (plus 1 in Bergamo). At Malpensa, where you will probably land, there are no official phone shops. There are 2 at Linate airport (3 and TIM).

BTW you will find phone shops everywhere in Italy, it's really not a problem.
Wind has a very easy and good solution for data, as you stated. It doesn't have a very widespread 3G coverage, unfortunately, and has EDGE not everywhere. GPRS is available everywhere. GSM coverage is quite good.

If you want the best GSM+3G coverage you should go with TIM.
Stay away from Vodafone and also from 3 since its coverage is quite limited and when you roam on TIM you pay extra for data.

So take a look at Wind and TIM offers and choose which one fits you best. IMHO Wind has better options, while TIM has better coverage. Hard to choose!

If you go with Wind just go to a Wind shop, buy a card, activate it dialin 4242 and setting English prompts, refill it and ask the clerk to activate one of the 2 data options. Then WAIT for the comfirmation SMSes: one will tell you the system received your request, then you should receive other 2: one telling you they took you 9 euros and another tellin you the option is active. DON'T use data before you receive these messages or you'll pay A LOT...

P.S. NO, don't try to buy a card out of Italy, buy it here, it's easy, fast & cheap.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
automatics (Offline)

Default 10-11-2010, 17:15

Effendi, thank you very much for the quick & detailed response.
Not to mention your extremely detailed guide to Prepaid SIMs, that has probably helped countless visitors to Italy.

Your advice makes perfect sense. No purchasing before we arrive. We'll go with either Wind OR TIM. Wind sounds like better value, but TIM sounds like what we need, in case we end up in rural Italy...

Hope the priest/tour guide let's us go hunt for a TIM/Wind shop!

Just a couple more questions, if you could be so kind...

1) From your experience, is the activation process for TIM similar to Wind?
i.e. Type 4242 etc...

2) Can I use the same SIM card for my 3G dongle + laptop & then swap it out to use with my iPhone to surf & make calls?

3) Or do I need to use a special SIM card for the iphone?

Grazie again!

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-11-2010, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatics View Post
1) From your experience, is the activation process for TIM similar to Wind?
i.e. Type 4242 etc...

2) Can I use the same SIM card for my 3G dongle + laptop & then swap it out to use with my iPhone to surf & make calls?

3) Or do I need to use a special SIM card for the iphone?

Grazie again!
1) I never had a TIM prepaid card, but I had a COOP Voce one which is the same. If i remember well you just have to wait some hours before being able to make/receive calls you have to do nothing to activate. Anyway just ask the dealer.

2 & 3) Yes of course you can use the sim in any device. There are no special data simcards, they are all voice cards with data capabilities. Just be sure to buy a micro-sim if you have an iPad or iPhone 4.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
automatics (Offline)

Default 18-11-2010, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
1) I never had a TIM prepaid card, but I had a COOP Voce one which is the same. If i remember well you just have to wait some hours before being able to make/receive calls you have to do nothing to activate. Anyway just ask the dealer.

2 & 3) Yes of course you can use the sim in any device. There are no special data simcards, they are all voice cards with data capabilities. Just be sure to buy a micro-sim if you have an iPad or iPhone 4.
Effendi, thanks again for your help.
We'll be off to Italy tomorrow... Can't wait to visit your beautiful country.