(#41)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 27-12-2006, 12:29

en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick View Post
You can call me a non modern person or a populist , but I really guess many nations do deserve independence much more than these pseudo-countries you listed above. I mean Curds, Abkhazians, Basques, Tibetians etc. These are real nations which are different from their 'owners' (often they are from another group of ethnoses) and who have been fighting for their right to get independent, while all these Andorra (in fact Catalonia), San Marino (Italy) etc. at present are too tiny and too similar to their neighbours to be really independent. So, either Curds and Basques should be independent too or Andorra should be Spain and San Marino should be Italy, the rest is unfair.
Well, I understand you and your point of view is right. We have to think about REAL nations not yet live. But we have to respect other specular situations too, small is not less respect. For example San Marino: they are NOT Italy. They have italian culture and language (as Ticino in Switzerland, but no one is thinking that swiss part is... italy), but a real important national story. Yes, San Marino is the fifth least-populous sovereign country in the world but it's the oldest constitutional republic still in existence today. Not only. During the early phase of the Italian unification process of the 19th century, San Marino served as a haven of refuge for numerous persons who were persecuted because of their support for Italian unity. In memory of this support, Giuseppe Garibaldi accepted the wish of San Marino not to be incorporated into the new Italian state. Well they are so close to Italy, but so proud for the independence too.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#42)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-12-2006, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA View Post
Giuseppe Garibaldi accepted the wish of San Marino not to be incorporated into the new Italian state. Well they are so close to Italy, but so proud for the independence too.
Actually I know this story, but I believe a separate nation (from ethnic point of view) has more rights to get independent than a part of the same (or almost the same) nation that got a bit separated for some historic reasons. I don't want San Marino to join Italy , don't treat my words as any offence, I just mean it's not fair play while Curds or Tibetians are not independent and San Marino is. It's just because it was much easier to get independence and to change borders in 19th century than now when borders are in fact frozen, but do you think national minorities should be glad because of that change in rules?

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#43)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-12-2006, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
Going back to the forum title and origional topic, Yes Belgium Should be abolished....same as luxembourge and other small silly countries, andorra, monaco, san marino, the vatican...they are taking up to much space...
But what do you REALLY mean by "abolishing Belgium"? If it were divided into Wallonia and Flanders, then instead of one small country, you would have two even smaller? So what - to join Flanders to the Netherlands and Wallonia to France? So, what's next? To share Switzerland between Germany, France and Italy? To join Austria to Germany? To reunite Serbian-language post-Yugoslavian area??? Well, if you don't like small countries, what about autonomic territories like Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar or Faeroe? If San Marino were to become a part of Italy, why Isle of Man shouldn't be a part of UK?

Do you know the answers???

Old
  (#44)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-12-2006, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
But what do you REALLY mean by "abolishing Belgium"? If it were divided into Wallonia and Flanders, then instead of one small country, you would have two even smaller? So what - to join Flanders to the Netherlands and Wallonia to France? So, what's next? To share Switzerland between Germany, France and Italy? To join Austria to Germany? To reunite Serbian-language post-Yugoslavian area??? Well, if you don't like small countries, what about autonomic territories like Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar or Faeroe? If San Marino were to become a part of Italy, why Isle of Man shouldn't be a part of UK?

Do you know the answers???
i do like small countries its just the ting ones i find 'unusual...such as andorra, vatican san marino, they are like mini variations of there larger neighbours etc...many of the smaller ones you have to travel through one country to get there...whats the point....whereas jersey, guernsy and gibralter you can get there direct as they have indipendant borders!! (ie ways in and out that dont involve crossing another countries airspace!

techincally the isle of man is its own country, it was neurtral in ww2, it has its own parliment and laws, and issues its own stamps and passports! it is a 'crown dependency' wich is as far as i can dissern means 'that they have her maj (our Liz) as there head of state somewhat akin to canada and NZ et al but they are somewhat dependant on the uk mainland fr such things as gas, military aid etc...(though i could be wrong!)

re the kurds etc all wanting there own country, why not! 'the republic of kurdistan has a ring to it!'

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Last edited by Malkav; 27-12-2006 at 16:52.. Reason: almost forgot!

Old
  (#45)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-12-2006, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
i do like small countries its just the ting ones i find 'unusual...such as andorra, vatican san marino, they are like mini variations of there larger neighbours etc...many of the smaller ones you have to travel through one country to get there...whats the point....whereas jersey, guernsy and gibralter you can get there direct as they have indipendant borders!! (ie ways in and out that dont involve crossing another countries airspace!
So, what is your point? The existence of small countries doesn't really disturb anything. Moreover, they bring extra profits as tourist attractions (of course sometimes supported by low taxes on alcohol and tobacco, as in case of Andorra and San Marino ).

Old
  (#46)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-12-2006, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
So, what is your point? The existence of small countries doesn't really disturb anything. Moreover, they bring extra profits as tourist attractions (of course sometimes supported by low taxes on alcohol and tobacco, as in case of Andorra and San Marino ).
...well its my opinion that they be abolished, however now you mention cheap booze...mmmmmmm your argument is a compeling one heheheheh

have a cookie!

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.