PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Jameson (Offline)

Default Accessing internet in many european countries (help a newbie) - 04-05-2011, 17:40

Hi, I'm doing some research for some friends who are planning to travel europe indefinitely in a campervan. They are an oldish couple and not very tech savvy, and from what I can gather, watching eastenders via bbc iPlayer, and emails will be their primary uses.

Having done a bit of googling I'm pretty sure tethering a smart phone to their laptop will be the easiest way, (maybe not the cheapest though?) with them buying prepaid cards in each country, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping some kind soul will be able to help me with.

1) What kind of phone should they get and unlock- is the iPhone or an android the way to go, or is a smart phone even necessary? I believe they will need at least 3G for streaming videos.

2) Is it just a case of me researching the best data costs from the operators page, (For example I know they will be going through portugal, where it seems 'Optimus' is the best option in terms of data costs.) Then all they have to do is find that card in a shop, put it in the phone and job done?

3) I believe that certain operators charge extra fees for tethering. How will I/they know what these charges are?

4) Is there an altogether simpler/cheaper option than what Im suggesting? Surely businessmen travel all over europe and have mobile broadband wherever they go!

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. I will pick things up quickly as I'm fairly tech savvy, but not being much of a mobile broadband user myself it's all quite new to me .

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-05-2011, 00:54

I think it will be a case of studying local SIMs for data bundles, then there's a bit of setting up the connection properties, username and password etc.

If it was only email, then Abroadband or a choice of useful modest roaming data bundles from various networks would be fine, but adding video means not only you need to find larger bundles on local SIMs typical for either tethering or use on a dongle, but also you'll need to find a UK based proxy to use the BBC iPlayer, as they don't make it available for all countries.

I think I'd have a USB dongle and a phone, but maybe just a dongle would suffice.

Old
  (#3)
anybody (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-05-2011, 15:21

In my experience, best solution is to buy a Vodafone sim card from Italy or Ireland.
Similar costs: 2€ + national tariff to get 50MB (per day) connection.

Whatever italian one is promoting its "vodafone passport mobile internet"
(Reference): until 31/05 if you surf the internet you would pay 2€ for 100MB. No other charges

I think you can get on of those sims on ebay.