PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Datajack - 03-01-2010, 02:57

DataJack looks interesting - "unlimited 3G" for the USA for $40 a month, prepaid with no term commitment (plus $100 for a 3G quad-band 850/1900/2100/AWS dongle, and $10 shipping). There does not appear to be any data cap. It has fallback to GPRS/Edge outside 3G areas.

Their coverage map DataJack Coverage is essentially useless (since it can't be zoomed, and entering my US zip code just gives "call us").

But the coverage map matches that at T-Mobile (data). So the (tiny!) yellow dots are T-mobile 3G, the brown area is T-Mobile GPRS/Edge, and the pale purple matches T-Mobile roaming (so is also just Edge). So it seems to be just on T-mobile and their roaming partners (so no 3G coverage where I go, yet).

Their "retail store" coverage is somewhat sparse at the moment.

With the option to switch access on/off (in full-month chunks) it could be very useful for part-time residents of the the US, and visitors, if you're in one of the few 3G areas. That's if it works, and doesn't later have a hidden fair-access-policy for 5GB a month or less! There's no limit stated yet.

They claim they are planning international roaming later.

Rob

Last edited by RTuesday; 03-01-2010 at 03:11..

Old
  (#2)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-01-2010, 19:23

Datajack have now removed the T-Mobile coverage map from their site, and have "upgraded" their coverage query to show "coverage" even in areas with no 3G.

Which is true, but it's only GPRS/Edge in most places, not "National 3G Coverage".

Various people on HoFo have been complaining about the difficulties of cancelling service, and the T&C's have a "re-activation" charge. So not really viable as a service to turn on and off as you need for travel.

Sounds like one to avoid for now.

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-01-2010, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
Sounds like one to avoid for now.
I was more than a little sceptical about the longterm prospects for this, after some related whois and Google searches (including the absurdly named shell company Atomic Guppy) ...

Old
  (#4)
VOOGLE (Offline)

Default Data Jack- activation - 10-01-2010, 20:50

These is no reactivation fee, and to cancel just simply call customer service 888-693-4522 this is a great service and a great company.......... I do not work for the company However I do know them... The are connected to several carriers

Old
  (#5)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-01-2010, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOOGLE View Post
to cancel just simply call customer service 888-693-4522 ts
That's one of the things that would make it a pain to use - each time you activate it for a month, it apparently automatically goes on autobill and you have to remember to call them before it rebills (i.e. no way to simply buy a month of access for a traveller). And hope the phone is answered, and hope that the cancellation is applied, as there is no record of it.

Anyway, given the T-mobile 3G coverage (not a lot, yet) it's of fairly limited use for most, certainly not much use for travel. The way the web site has now been changed to hide the lack of 3G gives a bad impression of the way the company behaves.

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-01-2010, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOOGLE View Post
These is no reactivation fee, and to cancel just simply call customer service 888-693-4522 this is a great service and a great company.......... I do not work for the company However I do know them... The are connected to several carriers
Is this before or since its change of hands in mid-December?

edit: what can people tell us about Wyless? If this deal has just been announced, is that a change of provider, or is Wyless reselling T-mobile anyway?

Last edited by andy; 11-01-2010 at 05:10..

Old
  (#7)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-01-2010, 05:27

Prepaid 3g data service in the US is not as widely available as in other countries...whether it's GSM or CDMA based. Tends to be more postpaid long-term contract or recurring monthly postpaid. Prepaid wireless broadband data (the heavy duty type used on laptops; not just handset web surfing) is relatively new here.

Suggest the following for prepaid nationwide coverage:

VirginMobileUSA MVNO using Sprint CDMA network: Mobile Broadband Service | Virgin Mobile Could be activated and left dormant for up to one year. Caveat is data is best for light usage (rates are a bit expensive) and is limited to the native Sprint network without off-network roaming (but the good news is it is largely 3g).

AT&T offers a prepaid broadband plan but 3g coverage is spotty and they are a bit expensive: AT&T offers prepaid wireless broadband | Signal Strength - CNET News

Verizon CDMA offers a prepaid broadband plan with extensive 3g coverage but it's pricey: Verizon offers prepaid wireless service for laptop users | Signal Strength - CNET News

T-Mobile offers 3g (or in some cases high speed 4g) through resellers like Datajack and others, but coverage areas are somewhat limited.

I use an ISP in Oregon called Millenicom: Welcome They do recurring credit card billed 3g data service on Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. I use their 3g Verizon service (US$60/month for 10 gb of data). It's a good service but it's not true prepaid.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 15-01-2010, 14:59

I looked at Millenicom and had to pass. I live right on the Canadian border and they told me that their program couldn't tell me when it was roaming on a Canadian tower. (I also couldn't disable Canadian roaming) I would just know when I got the bill.

Old
  (#9)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-01-2010, 19:37

You think Millenicom Verizon roaming is high in Canada...it would be even worse in Bermuda. End of May Bermuda trip will just use free wifi or Digicel Bermuda data (my Digicel Bermuda prepaid sim chip data enabled and would be OK for light data usage). Verizon rates (assumed would be passed through from Millenicom) would be:
(full text at: Terms & Conditions )
• In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.
• In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.
• In Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, China, Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Netherland Antilles, Saipan and South Korea Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas and select cruise ships, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.02 per KB or $20.48 per MB.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Tags
us unlimited 3g broadband