PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Info about Myanmar - 22-11-2016, 06:18

Is this where I post information about Myanmar - fka "Burma"?

Up until two years ago, very few people had cell phones. When the military gave the complete control of the country, cell phone service became available to the masses. Besides MPT (the government owned company), there are now two private companies. Telenor and Ooredoo.
SIM cards cost $1.50. Data costs just under a dollar a gigabyte.
We used Ooredoo the 15 days we were there. Virtually all their service is 4G. The other companies are still at 2G and 3G - although I think within a year most of their coverage will be 4G. We had solid coverage wherever we were. However, because most people use their cell phone as their only connection to the Internet, speeds are slow.
We put the Sim card and an extra phone we had and use that as a hotspot for our regular phones. Our home carrier, T-Mobile, has built-in Wi-Fi calling, which allows free calling to U.S. numbers. Incoming calls, of course, are free when on Wi-Fi.
As I recall, you can buy refill cards for between five and $20. We did not need to buy any refills after our first $20 purchase.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.