PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Age to buy a SIM - 13-01-2013, 14:18

How old do people have to be to buy a prepaid SIM card in Germany?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-01-2013, 15:02

Usually 16 but many providers who allow online activation don't require any proof of identity and so can't verify your birthday and age. This includes the one I mostly recommend for visitors, namely Lidl mobile. For further information on Lidl check out LIDL mobile - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-01-2013, 20:09

Thank you so much
To register the sim, on the LIDL site there is written that people between 16 and 18 must have a paper signed by their parents:
Um die LIDL MOBILE SIM-Karte auf sich registrieren lassen zu können, benötigen Sie ein deutsches Bankkonto, eine Adresse in Deutschland und müssen mindestens 16 Jahre alt sein. Bei Kunden unter 18 Jahren ist die Einwilligung des gesetzlichen Vertreters erforderlich. http://www.lidl.de/de/asset/other/FO...rechtigter.pdf

Since they do not require an ID card on the online registration, can I write an older birth date?

They will send a letter to the address you wrote on the registration and if the letter is undeliverable they will deactivate the sim. How much time do the letter need to be delivered? I have to stay in Germany for 10 days and if the sim will be deactivated when I am back to Italy it doesn't matter

Thanks

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-01-2013, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995 View Post
Thank you so much
Since they do not require an ID card on the online registration, can I write an older birth date?
You can do it. Whether it would be legal is another question.

Quote:
They will send a letter to the address you wrote on the registration and if the letter is undeliverable they will deactivate the sim. How much time do the letter need to be delivered? I have to stay in Germany for 10 days and if the sim will be deactivated when I am back to Italy it doesn't matter
They are quick. Expect the letter to arrive between 1-3 days after activation.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-01-2013, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
They are quick. Expect the letter to arrive between 1-3 days after activation.
Is it ok if I write the address of my hostel?
The letter has only to be delivered to an existing address, right?
The receiver has to sign something?

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-01-2013, 21:49

A hostel should work. Perhaps tell the receptionist that you are awaitng a letter. It's an ordinary letter not a registered one, so no need to sign anything. Also the letter will not contain any relevant information except for confirming the registration details you entered upon activation, so you don't need to physically receive it. Just make sure it's not being returned to the sender.
Be careful upon purchase that you actually get a Lidl SIM in the "Classic Tarif" and not on of those with the red sticker with the "Smart Tarif" preactivated.

Old
  (#7)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-01-2013, 22:02

Perfect
In Germany it's very cheap to have an Internet connection on a smartphone
Last year in France it was cheaper to roam with a Vodafone sim that to buy a French prepaid card!