PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
JPSmith (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Which carriers stock microsims in Rome shops? - 09-05-2012, 15:39

My wife is landing in Rome next week to start an Italy trip. She wants prepaid data on her iPhone and doesn't want to deal with cutting down sims. Which carriers' shops in Rome are likely to have microsims available? I read on another thread that TIM has microsims, anybody know about WIND, 3, or Vodaphone?

Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-05-2012, 16:14

"3" appears to cater to iPhone customers iPhone 4 instructions

Old
  (#3)
JPSmith (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-05-2012, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
"3" appears to cater to iPhone customers iPhone 4 instructions
Thanks. 3's data tariffs are very attractive, but since their data is UMTS-only do I understand correctly that their data coverage outside of cities will not be as good as Vodafone, TIM, etc.? She will be visiting some smaller towns and rural areas.

Last edited by JPSmith; 09-05-2012 at 17:48..

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-05-2012, 07:18

All 4 main operators have micro-sims, no problem. Of course it can happen a shop is out of stock, but basically they should have them. Bigger/central shops should have a bigger stock.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
JPSmith (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 11-05-2012, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
All 4 main operators have micro-sims, no problem. Of course it can happen a shop is out of stock, but basically they should have them. Bigger/central shops should have a bigger stock.
Thanks, this is good to know. Would you agree that if the goal is widest data coverage including smaller towns it is best to use TIM or Vodaphone instead of 3 or Wind?

Old
  (#6)
JPSmith (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 04-06-2012, 14:42

To follow up, we just returned from 3 weeks in Italy and had good luck with TIM service everywhere we went. We stopped in a TIM shop upon arrival in Rome, where friendly employees who spoke decent English had us up and running with prepaid sims on my wife's iPhone and my Windows phone within half an hour. A promotion currently running gives the 250mb/week data plan free of charge for 4 weeks, so we were able to use the initial credits on the sims entirely for voice and sms. The free data allotment was plenty for our needs.