PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#61)
lotis (Offline)

Default 31-07-2008, 16:08

It is available via WAP? whether they will work instant messaging? Skype mobile, Tolakanaut, gadu-gadu?

Old
  (#62)
Lar (Offline)

Default 31-07-2008, 16:40

Hi All

I have read this thread with interest but not a massive amount of understanding.

I will be on a boat in the Southern Aegean for much of the next month. I have a laptop and an Irish Vodafone mobile modem (3G). Assuming I can keep power in the laptop can anyone tell me how or whether the vodafone modem will work for internet access at all?

I can prepay for 200MB of data alright - I just want to know whether to bother.

Thanks in advance.

Lar

Old
  (#63)
pontusb (Offline)

Default Tried the Firefox addon - 04-08-2008, 13:12

Hi!

And thank You.

Just tried the Firefox addon with Firefox 2 on my Mac and with You suggested rules. It works perfect.

/Pontus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRo View Post
I'm now in Greece (Corfu) using Wind Plus non-stop on a tethered laptop. Some experience:

The HTML mangling is bad using Firefox but I think I've partially fixed it by using this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3207

Set up a rule as follows:
. (single dot for the regular expression - matches everything) old="application/xhtml+xml" new ="text/html"

This allows me to see a lot of sites I couldn't - including this forum and my own Wordpress blog! Whether they will all work I don't know.

I don't suppose that addon will work on the Nokia N810 which has the same mangling problem.

Plus non-stop doesn't work with other protocols (POP, NNTP) so I can't get usenet or use proper email - only webmail - which is a nuisance.

Edited:

1 Please feed back to me any experience of my Firefox fix. I'd like to interest the developer in providing a Firefox 3 version.

2 I intend to get a COSMOTE SIM as a backup in case I can't get a Wind signal in remote islands. Any equivalent cheap data package for that?

Old
  (#64)
ode (Offline)

Default 15-08-2008, 13:38

Im guessing that uploads from phone to Flickr or such with Nokia Share or Shozu will not work with WIND Plus?

Old
  (#65)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-08-2008, 06:08

Back in Greece with Wind plus non-stop (Ionian islands) and can confirm that Privoxy solves the HTML/XML mangling problem. Firefox 3 on the laptop and the Nokia N810 work fine.

Next problem: why does http://www.guardian.co.uk give 'Endless redirection of reqests for this address'? (This happened before I used Privoxy and with both Firefox and the N810 which is also a gecko browser.) Something to do with the Wind proxy, I suspect. What's it doing? With Privoxy I can filter & spoof HTTP headers so maybe I can cure this.

Last edited by DaveRo; 29-08-2008 at 20:46.. Reason: Correction

Old
  (#66)
real_goose (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 31-08-2008, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRo View Post
Next problem: why does http://www.guardian.co.uk give 'Endless redirection of reqests for this address'?
I am in Greece with Wind non-stop and can confirm the Guardian loads easily with Opera after clicking the Reparse document as HTML message once.

I use an Sierra PC card with the Wind SIM on XP. I have settled into a process of using IE for gmail and Opera for everything else. I have never been able to get Firefox (or Thunderbird) to work with the Wind proxy.

We don't have a phone line and I'm too far from Arachova for 3G, but still it's great performance at an unbeatable price - I love it!

Old
  (#67)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 01-09-2008, 06:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_goose View Post
I am in Greece with Wind non-stop and can confirm the Guardian loads easily with Opera...
Thanks - that's a useful clue. Why should gecko cause or detect a redirect loop and not Opera, I wonder? I have not come accross any other site with this problem.

Thunderdird won't work because Wind NS only supports HTTP I think - ie ony browsers. No POP, IMAP, or NNTP.

Old
  (#68)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-09-2008, 20:53

Hi Guys,
i just bought a WIND sim but i can not activate the PLUS service. Whenever i try to send the SMS to 19349 my phone says "Please check your message service". Making calls works though. Any hints or do i need to call the hotline in this case?
Any help is appreciated, i'm online with my german card at the moment.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#69)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-09-2008, 02:34

At Rhodes, I had Wind 3G coverage in the City of Rhodes, Paradeisi (Airport) and Maritsa (old airport area)! I didn't check my phone coverage in Lindos because I was too amazed by the spectacular view (first time on the island)...

I even visited my friend's father at his newly built home in a remote isolated farm behind the old Maritsa airport where he had just finished building a beautiful home and he equiped it with high-end PCs with Vodafone VMC 3G for internet (and he had 3G coverage) and Vodafone At Home fixed phone! I was amazed by the traditional house with all the modern amenities in the middle of nowhere!

@dg7feq: Have you activated the SIM, i.e. can you receive incoming calls? In order to activate the SIM you have to make a call to any chargeable number and listen through the whole activation message, after that you can hang up without completing the call and getting charged for it, but you have to listen to the whole message! After that you can send and receive SMS and you can receive incoming calls!
If you've done that, then make sure you have the correct SMSC number in your SMS settings, it's +30693599000 for Wind...
If you can't figure this out call 1260 (0,24EUR/call) they will help you find out why you can't send SMS and they will also activate Wind plus non-stop for you.

By the way, can you send SMS to other numbers besides 19349? Have you tried a different device? My best bet is the SMSC settings...

Old
  (#70)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-09-2008, 06:12

Hi, thanks for the useful information. I will try out today. I did not make a chargable action yet but when i ring my german phone it rings and if i call it from my german phone it rings as well. If i call balance check it tells me in greek and english that this service is not available. Maybe it is really not activated yet. Lets see if i can get it running. Will report back

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9