PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default I love UK mobile telephony! - 04-09-2007, 09:07

I got to London from Saskatchewan, Canada on Saturday. To my wife's amusement (and slight chagrin), one of my priorities was to get some UK telephony going. I already had an O2 prepaid SIM for each of us (that I got off eBay) because their network seemed to have the broadest coverage, but I found out about some other options before I got here and I wanted to check them out.

The first stop was at an Orange store on Kensington High Street. (How many Orange stores are there in London by the way? They seem to be everywhere.) I got a pair of Call Abroad SIMs, one to use to call Canada at 5p/min. and the other for a friend back home. I got awesome phone numbers on both (0796 xyx yxxx for mine and 0796 xyx yx0x for him). I didn't bother getting my wife one because she just uses mine; I can call her O2 if we get separated.

The next day, after failing to find a T-Mobile store, I found one on Oxford Street. The Sony-Ericsson K610i which was 90 pounds online was only 60 pounds in store! I bought one (at that price I had to buy 20 pounds of prepaid time but I didn't mind; I was going to get 10 anyway). It's a tri-band 3G phone (900/1800/1900 GSM & 2100 UMTS). Now I can play with 3G. Hopefully I can get it unlocked at some point so that I can use it at home (obviously not with 3G though). I'm using it for Internet access (unlimited phone browsing for 1 pound/day). Great deal.

So now between my Skype 020 number, my O2 SIM, my Orange SIM, my T-Mobile SIM and my United Mobile Jersey SIM, I have 5 UK numbers. It seems a little silly but I like it!

All I need is a Vodafone SIM and a 3 SIM and I will have a complete set. (Resisting so far, I am...)

I'm planning to get a Sunrise SIM in Switzerland next week (just to have a cheap SIM to use there, and it's hard to get Swiss SIMs - you have to be in the country and present your passport to get one as a foreigner). Then, I will stop. Really. I will.

Jim

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 04-09-2007, 09:32

With that prepaid T-Mobile SIM (and the £20 credit that you have) you can also call back to Canada (and elsewhere) for cheaper than Orange at only 3p/min. Check: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/show...42&postcount=3

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-09-2007, 14:13

We have a serious mobile junkie on our hands here.
Maybe we need a 12-step program for some of our members.

Old
  (#4)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-09-2007, 17:16

Yes, I'm a bit of a junkie but it's fun.

I'll give that international calling number a try. That's intriguing.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-09-2007, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The first stop was at an Orange store on Kensington High Street. (How many Orange stores are there in London by the way? They seem to be everywhere.)

So now between my Skype 020 number, my O2 SIM, my Orange SIM, my T-Mobile SIM and my United Mobile Jersey SIM, I have 5 UK numbers. It seems a little silly but I like it!

All I need is a Vodafone SIM and a 3 SIM and I will have a complete set. (Resisting so far, I am...)

I'm planning to get a Sunrise SIM in Switzerland next week (just to have a cheap SIM to use there, and it's hard to get Swiss SIMs - you have to be in the country and present your passport to get one as a foreigner). Then, I will stop. Really. I will.

Jim
There seem to be one or two shops for each network in just about any resonably-sized town in Europe, plus some independent chains, and the supermarkets ...

If you want to add to your collection of UK numbers, you can get a free landline DID to forward via a VoIPprovider to one of your mobiles, from 5 cents a minute.

In Switzerland, also look at Swisscom, with CHF 0.80 for up to an hour to landlines and same network. Then use a callthrough access number, like maybe one of the Betamax VoIP brands for 0.5 or 1 c per minute to plenty of countries.