PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
OnlyOneKeano (Offline)

Default Italy prepaid data - rome - whats my best option? - 23-02-2011, 17:51

hey guys

I'm going to Italy in April. Will be in rome for 5 days and in Milan for 2 days.

I read Effendi's guide page on Prepaid Data in Italy, also I read this page http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...ata-italy.html

I would like to use my Iphone 3G while i'm there. It is unlocked.

Was wondering what would be my best option? I will be using it for emails, web surfing, maps and some touristy apps.

From what I see Wind's 'Internet no stop' with 1gb/month seems like a good option. Is this still available? Will i be able to purchase and set this up in Rome at the airport once I arrive. Is wind's network 3G? is it widespread enough?Also seems like wind's 'internet no stop' is limited to 32kbps.

Another option that looks good to me is TIM's NovercaGiga 11Euro month for 1GB. Or TIM's Web 500 MEGA CoopVoce 9Euro/month 500MB. Those options look great and from what i hear TIM has the most widespread network... but is it 3G? And with TIM will i be able to purchase this at the airport in Rome?

thanks for your help.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 27-02-2011, 12:49

In Milan and Rome all operators have 3G HSPA coverage, as in any city in Italy. So coverage is not an issue.

Wind's Internet No Stop offer is good and you pay 9 euro/month, not a cent more. If you use more than 1GB/month your speed is limited to 32kbps. It's hard to use more than 1GB on a phone without tethering, so it shouldn't be a problem to you.

NovercaGiga is not an option by TIM, it's a virtual operator and hard to find for non-Italians. The same applies to COOP Voce.

Both TIM and Vodafone have offers for smartphones called TIMxSmartphone and Mobile Internet. They have some limitations (no tethering, no voip...) but they are fine to be used on a smartphone/iphone.

TIM, Vodafone and 3 have shops at Fiumicino airport, Wind doesn't. But all three seem to be inside the gates area, so quite unuseful when you arrive. But there's a fourth shop at the arrivals, called "Smartphone", at Terminal 3. They could have prepaid cards of all the operators. BTW you can find phone shops in the centre without any problem. I know there's a shopping centre close to the airport where surely Wind has a shop (you can find Wind shops nearly in any shopping centre in Italy).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
Fairy (Offline)

Default prepaid SIM Card for Blackberry - 31-03-2011, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
In Milan and Rome all operators have 3G HSPA coverage, as in any city in Italy. So coverage is not an issue.

Wind's Internet No Stop offer is good and you pay 9 euro/month, not a cent more. If you use more than 1GB/month your speed is limited to 32kbps. It's hard to use more than 1GB on a phone without tethering, so it shouldn't be a problem to you.

NovercaGiga is not an option by TIM, it's a virtual operator and hard to find for non-Italians. The same applies to COOP Voce.

Both TIM and Vodafone have offers for smartphones called TIMxSmartphone and Mobile Internet. They have some limitations (no tethering, no voip...) but they are fine to be used on a smartphone/iphone.

TIM, Vodafone and 3 have shops at Fiumicino airport, Wind doesn't. But all three seem to be inside the gates area, so quite unuseful when you arrive. But there's a fourth shop at the arrivals, called "Smartphone", at Terminal 3. They could have prepaid cards of all the operators. BTW you can find phone shops in the centre without any problem. I know there's a shopping centre close to the airport where surely Wind has a shop (you can find Wind shops nearly in any shopping centre in Italy).
Dear Effendi,

Having the same travel plan (Rome & Milan for a week)
Those prepaid SIM Card's options can also be used in Blackberry-Onyx (3D & Wi-Fi coverage),right?
Thx

Old
  (#4)
roryst (Offline)

Default sim car fiumicino - 17-10-2012, 05:51

Getting a micro sim for Ipad at Fiumicino on arrival is easy - as long as you do it BEFORE proceeding through to Customs. At the airport the three terminals are linked with a long wide corridor of transit-area upmarket shops (including Dixons). In October 2012 I went to the Tre.it store and got 3GB for 5 euros, for the week's worth I needed, and had it installed and tested by the shop person in ten minutes or so.

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-10-2012, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
Dear Effendi,

Having the same travel plan (Rome & Milan for a week)
Those prepaid SIM Card's options can also be used in Blackberry-Onyx (3D & Wi-Fi coverage),right?
Thx
With Blackberry it's always more complicated. You have to activate one of the Blackberry options, not the ones showed here above.
Take a look here:
Prepaid data overview (Italy)

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim