PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default United Mobile Roaming and Prepaid Cards in Red China - 15-12-2006, 14:26

Somehow we don't have any information about mainland China here, neither in this forum nor on in the list of national GSM operators.

Anyway, I'm going there over Christmas, according to the United Mobile website you can use your UM SIM there, though it doesn't say on which network (China Mobile or China Unicom).
While I'm there I'll try to get some information about the local prepaid cards, AFAIK buying them is comparably easy, the price often depends on the phone number though.

If you already have some infos I'd be happy if you could provide me with them, and if you have some special questions feel free to post them here and I'll see whether I can find some answers.

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#2)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default Re: United Mobile Roaming and Prepaid Cards in Red China - 15-12-2006, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphone
Somehow we don't have any information about mainland China here, neither in this forum nor on in the list of national GSM operators.

Anyway, I'm going there over Christmas, according to the United Mobile website you can use your UM SIM there, though it doesn't say on which network (China Mobile or China Unicom).
Unicom, check this PDF: http://www.fl1.li/roaming/Roaming_Provider_LIE.pdf
Quote:
If you already have some infos I'd be happy if you could provide me with them, and if you have some special questions feel free to post them here and I'll see whether I can find some answers.
The 1st question: GPRS on chinese prepaid simcards

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-12-2006, 16:31

not much info on the English pages - just brand and PR type stuff I think

http://www.chinamobile.com/ENGLISH/services.html

http://www.chinaunicom.com.cn/english/

I've read that internet cafes are common and very cheap - so you might wonder about one of those USB sticks with VoIP set-up in it (unless owners don't like people plugging in extra stuff?)

Old
  (#4)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-12-2006, 20:00

Outgoing calls won't be a problem since I will be using Skype at my home away from home.

I basicly just need my UM card for some incoming calls, good thing I'll mostly be staying in cities considering that China Unicom's GSM coverage doesn't seem to be that great.

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#5)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 16-12-2006, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphone
I basicly just need my UM card for some incoming calls, good thing I'll mostly be staying in cities considering that China Unicom's GSM coverage doesn't seem to be that great.
A friend of mine used UM in China in the last 2 years travelling aroung many cities... he didn't have any particoular problem. A pretty coverage in rural areas too... from North to South

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#6)
razfaz (Offline)
Official Member

Default 21-12-2006, 10:45

>bout United Mobile: it doesn't work here.
I returned from China yesterday with the same result.

United Mobile wasn't working at all. I've been to Shenzhen and parts of Guangdong and Hainan provinces. In Hong Kong, the card worked, but a "3(2)" SIM card did only cost 65 HKD with a 65 HKD calling credit on it. Calls to the US cost 0.27 HKD (3.5 ct US) a minute during peak hours.

09.is worked in Shenzhen only.

Old
  (#7)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-12-2006, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by razfaz View Post
>bout United Mobile: it doesn't work here.
I returned from China yesterday with the same result.

United Mobile wasn't working at all. I've been to Shenzhen and parts of Guangdong and Hainan provinces. In Hong Kong, the card worked, but a "3(2)" SIM card did only cost 65 HKD with a 65 HKD calling credit on it. Calls to the US cost 0.27 HKD (3.5 ct US) a minute during peak hours.

09.is worked in Shenzhen only.
It is strange that Um is not working in China. Can you tell us if in the provinces you were, there was not good coverage of Unicom?

Old
  (#8)
razfaz (Offline)
Official Member

Unhappy 22-12-2006, 19:20

>there was not good coverage of Unicom?
Unicom coverage was o.k. in all places I checked the available networks. However as mentioned China Mobile wouldn't register at all, while Unicom looked like it would accept the card, but there was a constant "!" in front of "CUGSM" on the display. When I tried to make a call the result was a "Network busy".

This was the same everywhere I've been to in Guangdong and Hainan provinces. I tried it on a Motorola L6 and a Siemens S86. Since Gryphone confirms this, it seems that they finally kicked UM.

Old
  (#9)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-01-2007, 08:17

Um support told me that they have a 'temporary problem' with Unicom and that they would solve this latter (did not mention when!)

Old
  (#10)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default United Mobile - China Problems - 16-01-2007, 03:15

Second month in a row problems connecting in China. Customer Service response was pretty quick but they claim their is a network problem in China. So the bottom line is it doesn't work in China until until further notice.