PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Bourdo (Offline)

Default Pocket Wifi Modem, what works well? - 22-03-2012, 11:57

Hi

This is my first post like to say hi

I travel the world very regularly and always had the Unlocked Huawei USB modem and works well in most countries Ive been too over the past 5 years. Last year when I went to New York I bought a Virgin Pre-Paid Wifi Modem device. I loved it! As the virgin wifi has no SIM can options its locked to the USA.

My Questions is what is the preferred Unlock Pocket Wifi Modem do you guys recommend. I have my eye on the HUAWEI E585u-82 3G NEXT G Pocket Wifi 2 Modem. As I live in Australia NEXT G is the quicker speed.

What are your thoughts on this? I travel mostly Europe to very developed countries with good 3G networks.

Cheers

Nick

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-03-2012, 14:09

These Huawei 3G hotspots are probably the best stuff available, but you need to mind frequency bands. There are five relevant 3G frequency bands used in the world and most devices support only some of them.
While in the Americas (ITU region 2) 3G networks are operated at 850, 1900 and 1700/2100 MHz, the rest of the world (ITU region 1 and 3) use the 900 and 2100 MHz band for UMTS.
Australia and New Zealand belong to the few countries where frequency bands from the different ITU regions co-exist by Telstra using the 850 MHz and 2100 MHz band for their Next G network while Vodafone and Optus run their networks at 900 and 2100 MHz.

So if you seek full compatibility with all Australian operators your device should support UMTS at 850, 900 and 2100 MHz. The latter two are also used in Europe, Africa and Asia. But for the Americas you may also need support for UMTS at 1900 and at 1700/2100 MHz - depending on where you are and which network you want to use.
Afaik there's not mobile hotspot available supporting more than three frequency bands, so the E585u-82 is probably the best choice in your case.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
Bourdo (Offline)

Default 23-03-2012, 00:12

Hi Inquistior, thanks for the reply. Ill go with this device but looks like I have to just enter the APN number of the network I have the SIM for. Hope it works with a quick configure

Thanks again for the reply

Cheers

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-03-2012, 11:19

Yes, you need to create a dial-up profile for each SIM card you intend to use. Just follow these instructions - most providers just require an APN to be entered so usually you can leave the other fields (username, password, authentication) as they are.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
Bourdo (Offline)

Default 23-03-2012, 11:52

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1CfS3.../edit?hl=en_US

This is a great explanation!

Thanks again!

Old
  (#6)
dxy (Offline)

Default 23-07-2013, 12:57

You could investigate the Vodafone MiFi 2352.