PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mig29

Default need an advice: which SIM card to replace a "dead" UM? - 12-08-2010, 12:27

Hello to everyone,

I need an advice from you: UM has closed and now the sim is no more running.

I'd like to replace it with another prepaid card. I don't travel so often and If i do that I stay allways in Europe but I was using the UM card to call my friends who lives in USA and Europe and to receive calls from them.

Since I have to change company, let's see if there's one that can meet my needs:

Basic needs:

- Free incoming calls in Italy and EU
- No expiration date.
- Reasonable fees for outgoing call (main destinations are EU and North America, but if they are cheaper also in other countries it's not disliked)

I'd like if (but is not essential):

- The company will not go out of business in a week
- The card will offer a reasonable data plan, I've a smartphone with gprs and an HSDPA modem for the notebook

I've already a Travelsim (Estonian one) so I'd like to buy a sim from another Company

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 12-08-2010, 13:10

I still have the Travelsim too, and I almost never use it. I think that by now I prefer to use my Wind roaming in EU. It's a bit more expensive, but everyone can call/text me on my usual number. Outside EU it's different, of course...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
mig29

Default 12-08-2010, 14:06

I still prefer to have a dedicated international sim.....any alternative to Travelsim?

Old
  (#4)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 12-08-2010, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig29 View Post
I still prefer to have a dedicated international sim.....any alternative to Travelsim?
You could take a look at the exchange program for former UM customers offered by Onesimcard.

Old
  (#5)
fagnano (Offline)

Default 12-08-2010, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig29 View Post
Hello to everyone,

I need an advice from you: UM has closed and now the sim is no more running.

I'd like to replace it with another prepaid card. I don't travel so often and If i do that I stay allways in Europe but I was using the UM card to call my friends who lives in USA and Europe and to receive calls from them.

Since I have to change company, let's see if there's one that can meet my needs:

Basic needs:

- Free incoming calls in Italy and EU
- No expiration date.
- Reasonable fees for outgoing call (main destinations are EU and North America, but if they are cheaper also in other countries it's not disliked)

I'd like if (but is not essential):

- The company will not go out of business in a week
- The card will offer a reasonable data plan, I've a smartphone with gprs and an HSDPA modem for the notebook

I've already a Travelsim (Estonian one) so I'd like to buy a sim from another Company

Thanks
I have used Gosim for a year with good experience: free incoming call in many countries with no Fair Use Policy, the calling credit will not expire either. The out going call is also cheap compared to other sim cards (around $0.59/min). However the sim have an Estonia number and there's no free incoming call in USA & Canada (but I think it doesn't matter with you). The data charge is around $0.57/100kb (GPRS only). You should have a look on International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad.
I also use free2roamsim as they have UK number (Guernsey actually) and free incoming calls in Japan, North America & many European countries. However they have a fair use policy which I don't like much.
Ekit is also a great service. There's a thread about them in this forum I guess you would want to check it out.

Old
  (#6)
depee (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-08-2010, 01:19

I'm using since last year as an UM replacement the GYMSIM Card GYMSIM - International mobile phone sim cards It's an UK number.

Tags
ekit, onesimcard