PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
zig (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Mexican SIM - 02-12-2012, 22:55

Hi,

I am going to visit Mexico just for 1-2 weeks. Which is the best option? I expect only a few calls but some data usage for google maps.

I checked movistar and tecel, however my Spanish is not so good. Does this page mean I can get movistar SIM at 80+30 for a month use of 1250MB data?

Movistar México

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-12-2012, 01:45

Last time I checked Movistar's coverage in Mexico wasn't all that great. If you are using it for a road trip, I would check it before choosing a carrier.

Interactive Coverage Map : Movistar (Telefonica), Mexico

Compare Telcel:

Interactive Coverage Map : Telcel (America Movil), Mexico

Telcel is more expensive, but has better coverage. My Spanish is no better than yours. Arrepentido ("sorry").

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-12-2012, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
Hi,

I am going to visit Mexico just for 1-2 weeks. Which is the best option? I expect only a few calls but some data usage for google maps.

I checked movistar and tecel, however my Spanish is not so good. Does this page mean I can get movistar SIM at 80+30 for a month use of 1250MB data?

Movistar México
It appears that it's 250 MB/month over 5 months (250x5=1250).

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-12-2012, 04:12

Telcel does have generally better coverage, including much more 3G (mostly on 850). Those Movistar tariffs do have a lot of small print that would catch out even those who speak Spanish!

There are many dealers and company stores selling Telcel sims (price varies by area, maybe 200 pesos) with a small amount of starter airtime. Easy to recharge at the cash desk of most chain convenience stores in Mexico.

There are a choice of bundles of data (different lengths, different amounts of data) at Modems USB y Wi Fi de Telcel (use Google Translate, or if you browse with Chrome it offers you translation). You activate them with a text message from your phone.

So it'll probably be a couple of hundred pesos for the card, and something like 249 pesos for Alto15 (15 days, 1.5GB) - there are tariffs with less data but you don't save much . Plus call costs.

If you need the phone for calls but very little data there is currently a promotion where 200MB data is added when you recharge with 200 pesos, but I don't know how long that'll last.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice