Old
  (#161)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-06-2013, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
@ChrisNeedsToKnow
According to this post the Galaxy Nexus actually supports STK but - obviously due to a bug - the app will only appear if there is a PIN set for the SIM card.
Wow, thanks, that actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
During a trip via Luxembourg and Belgium to the Netherlands on the weekend I noticed that automatic IMSI switching works unreliably on my Nokia 1200. While crossing Luxembourg it didn't register on local networks, instead Belgian Base was the first roaming network my SIM did register to. But it did not switch to my Dutch IMSI for half an hour after I had entered the Netherlands. On my way home however it did automatically switch back from the Dutch to the Roaming IMSI after a couple of kilometres into Belgium.
Reliability of the automatic IMSI switchting probably very much depends on the STK implementation of the used handset. Unfortunately I don't see how IMSI switching could be improved since at least Android doesn't provide an API for low level access to the SIM card so you cannot send the appropriate commands from an Android app to the SIM (discussed here).
What a pitty - with daily crossings such long outages are unacceptable. I´ll test how it goes, and if unreliable I´ll instruct the person in question to manually select. I hope it won´t be necessary. Will report back after I get a chance to test it in the CH/D border area.

Thanks again, rgds, Christian

Old
  (#162)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 13:38

Today I received and activated my Toggle NL sim, but my Nexus S (with CM 10.1 - with STK support) can't register on any network. I've coverage from all the 4 "italian" carriers...

Old
  (#163)
Advanced Member

Default 12-06-2013, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Today I received and activated my Toggle NL sim, but my Nexus S (with CM 10.1 - with STK support) can't register on any network. I've coverage from all the 4 "italian" carriers...
Did you go to the STK and select the "roaming" profile?

If this doesn´t work, I suggest the following procedure, which already saved me:

Go to the STK and select any country except "roaming" or "automatic" (I´m aware Italy isn´t offered). When having selected any IMSI, try to manually connect to any available network. This should not work with an error ~ "no access to network".

Next, reselect "roaming" via STK, and then manually select any network that you want, or choose automatic network select. It should now work (again).

Good luck,
Christian

Old
  (#164)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 13:56

Uhm, if I click on "toggle" from the STK menu, nothing happens. I'm going to try on my HP Veer.

Old
  (#165)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 13:59

After a minute or so of network searching, my Veer got signal on vodafone IT automatically.

Thank you Chris

Old
  (#166)
Advanced Member

Default 12-06-2013, 14:01

Quote:
Uhm, if I click on "toggle" from the STK menu, nothing happens. I'm going to try on my HP Veer.
fantastico - I was already writing something else, which now seems superflous.

Why did you go for Toggle NL? They have €prices, but the 9c/connect isn´t just as attactive. That´s why I´ll mainly use my UK-card.

Rgds, Christian

Old
  (#167)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeedsToKnow View Post
fantastico - I was already writing something else, which now seems superflous.

Why did you go for Toggle NL? They have €prices, but the 9c/connect isn´t just as attactive. That´s why I´ll mainly use my UK-card.

Rgds, Christian
(STK doesn't work on the Veer, too )

I've chosen Toggle NL only for the currency. I'm aware of the 9c/call, but I wanted to find out if it applies also outside NL (as it isn't reported elsewhere than NL tariffs).

Old
  (#168)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeedsToKnow View Post
Another advantage of the UK card over the NL card is the lack of VAT on roaming outside the EU VAT area. The UK opted to exempt non-EU roaming from UK VAT under Article 9(3)(a) of Council Directive 77/388 ("the Sixth VAT Directive") so that it could charge UK VAT to visitors from outside the EU VAT area who are roaming in the UK.

However, I believe that Toggle has not yet implemented this correctly and might be charging UK VAT on non-European roaming in breach of Article 19 of the Value Added Tax (Place of Supply of Services) Order 1992. This is evident from its prices for roaming in Iceland for example, where Regulation (EU) No 531/2012 caps the price of an outgoing call at €0.29 x 0.8293 = £0.240497 per minute, yet Toggle charges £0.29/min, i.e. 20% more which equates to UK VAT.

Old
  (#169)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2013, 14:31

Ok, now I get signal also on my Nexus S. The STK still doesn't work, however.

Old
  (#170)
Advanced Member

Default 12-06-2013, 14:32

Quote:
Ok, now I get signal also on my Nexus S. The STK still doesn't work, however.
On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 the STK only showed after setting a PIN for the SIM card. Although I doubt it, maybe that´s a problem with other handsets as well?

Tags
netherlands, toggle