PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#91)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-01-2006, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
Or they are just going to create "dual number" SIMs. I mean that each SIM will have both a +1 number (maybe it will be technically just a number of a US MVNO) and a +44 Manx number for worldwide use.
Would be nice with dual numbers, but I can't see it being possible without a surcharge (as there is no large termination fee to pay for call to a US number).

One problem with the gt-sim that has made it less useful for me: as mentioned before, it picks up an incoming call before locating me. In other words, the caller is charged as soon as it says "trying to connect you", so if I don't answer they're charged.

I thought this didn't matter (not me paying the bill) but it breaks multi-phone forwarding. For example, Skype (and some voip services) can forward to multiple numbers at the same time - I can set it to forward to a local landline phone and a couple of mobiles, and they all ring at the same time - I just answer the one I'm nearest to.

BUT, if gt-sim is one of the phones, the "trying to connect you" picks up the line, so the forwarding service, thinking it's got through, stops ringing the other phones. Makes gt-sim unusable in that combination.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#92)
pschi (Offline)

Default 04-01-2006, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
One problem with the gt-sim that has made it less useful for me: as mentioned before, it picks up an incoming call before locating me. In other words, the caller is charged as soon as it says "trying to connect you", so if I don't answer they're charged.
Ever tried this in thr last days?
It's not picking up the incoming calls anymore ...

Old
  (#93)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-01-2006, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschi
No, I didn't know that, I haven't used the gt-sim for a few weeks. That's good news.

Does the call forwarding work yet?

Old
  (#94)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 04-01-2006, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschi
Ever tried this in thr last days?
I can't do outgoing calls from 3 weeks... the first time that i noticed this trouble I was in Bruxelles, but I can't call in Italy too. I have to contact them...

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#95)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-01-2006, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
I can't do outgoing calls from 3 weeks... the first time that i noticed this trouble I was in Bruxelles, but I can't call in Italy too. I have to contact them...
I've just checked and my gt-sim is still working fine for incoming and outgoing calls, in the US.

Also, call forwarding now works - the 102+nnn command does promptly forward the call. This means that if you are in a country with no coverage you can (before you get there!) forward the calls to an alternate number (i.e. I can set it to forward to my Iceland 09 number before I get to Mexico). I can also forward calls to a US number to avoid the US surcharge when in the US.

Still a few faults though: the voicemail accepted a message (and the message was there when I checked), but hasn't notified me of it, and the online billing has slowed down (no record of recent calls yet).

Old
  (#96)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-01-2006, 18:19

From what I gather from the forum everone is in favor of the GT-sim. I would like a sim with VM, SMS, and with a UK number. As you all know I have used HOP and had no problems with it. I would love VM, and to be able to send SMS with HOP. The way Hop has been I don't think they will ever improve the service. Just MPO. Living here in the US at .60 euro is still cheaper than the $.90 that hop charges. When I get ready to go back to Europe I will buy the sim. I was really thinking about an UK orange or Vodaphone just to get a UK number. I would think that the roaming charges would put a large hole in my cell phone account. . If anyone has anything more to say I would be glad to hear it. Thanks for all your help.

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Old
  (#97)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-01-2006, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter
Living here in the US at .60 euro is still cheaper than the $.90 that hop charges.
The 60c for the US is a surcharge, not the total cost, so a call to a landline (anywhere) from the US is EUR 86c (US 103c). But the US isn't really where you'd want to use it.

There's no surcharge when the call is diverted - diverted calls are billed at the incoming rate (38c) (so in the US divert the incoming calls, if any, to a landline or local cell).

Currently, calls to check voicemail are not being charged for, even from the US, which makes up for the lack of voicemail notifies.

One other thing (that has been mentioned here before) - although it's a UK-style number, people calling the number from a UK mobile in the UK will get charged at a higher rate than calling a real UK mobile.

As it's in a number range that is technically "pagers" (for historical reasons) a very few international long distance companies will charge it at a rate different from UK mobiles. But that also means some charge it at UK landline rates.

Old
  (#98)
alextaylor3

Default 11-01-2006, 10:08

Hi all, new to the forum

RTuesday, Isle of Man mobile numbers are charged in my bundled minutes on Orange and as far as I am aware on O2 too. It seems to be the other networks that charge it differently, especially 3 who seem to think it is an international call!

Old
  (#99)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-01-2006, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextaylor3
Isle of Man mobile numbers are charged in my bundled minutes on Orange and as far as I am aware on O2 too.
Thanks Alex, they must be treated as UK "other network" numbers more often now, they certainly used to be "international" on Orange a while back.

However I've just found (by trying) that some IOM mobile numbers can't be reached from 02 while roaming (and also can't be reached from one of the UK VOIP companies), 07624 10xxxx is still a very new number range.

It's really hard to tell from the UK mobile networks websites how they treat calls to IOM mobiles, with the exception of Virgin Mobile who do state clearly they are the same as UK mobiles.

Old
  (#100)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 13-01-2006, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
Thanks Alex, they must be treated as UK "other network" numbers more often now, they certainly used to be "international" on Orange a while back.

However I've just found (by trying) that some IOM mobile numbers can't be reached from 02 while roaming (and also can't be reached from one of the UK VOIP companies), 07624 10xxxx is still a very new number range.

It's really hard to tell from the UK mobile networks websites how they treat calls to IOM mobiles, with the exception of Virgin Mobile who do state clearly they are the same as UK mobiles.
from vm website

Calls to other UK networks?
35p per minute

? Includes calls and texts to Guernsey, Jersey & Isle of Man

so it would cost you a packet !!

btw if you want to test this if you could pm me your number, i can call you from o2 and orange and well find out.. you want have to talk :whistle: