PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-06-2012, 11:30

With AT&T's roaming data packages now restructured, for the occasional use, it makes sense for an AT&T customer to just sign up for one of those. For me, I will just sign up for the $30/125 MB package when we go to Montego Bay, Jamaica for 7 days at the end of the month. Plus, the resort has WiFi. I personally do NOT see a need for these data roaming sims. With the data roaming rates in the EU, it will not be much useful there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I am grandfathered on ATT's global roaming plan for iPhones and I have unlimited worldwide including cruise ships. The problem is that I get GPRS style speeds. It is good enough to get your email or possibly push out a text message using a virtual SMS serviced, but it is not even EDGE style speeds. I haven't tried cruise ships yet. I can tell you that last year I was in Mr. Newcomb's part of the world and I even had included data on the carrier which covered the Gulf of Mexico (catering mostly to drilling rigs).

Additionally, iPhonetrip.com offers unlimited data on these services.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#22)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-06-2012, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Ordered one yesterday.
me2 today!

Old
  (#23)
amgee

Default 18-06-2012, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsotirop View Post
another also important parameter, because roamline uses KPN roaming agreements, their simcard can be used with all local networks in each country, so there is wider signal coverage!
abroadband just uses 1network per country, mainly of Vodafone group.
This is one of the advantages of roamline... +1

Old
  (#24)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default AldiTalk - 24-06-2012, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
Remember that the EU is forcing providers to cap their rates as of July, and German MedionMobile already charges only 50 cents per MB within the EU, making 39 cents not so special any more... Especially when you consider the 60MB package for 4,99 which enables data roaming in the EU for just 12 cents per megabyte.
Slightly off topic but:

Do you know if it is possible to buy AND activate a German AldiTalk card by non-German people?
I live in Belgium, would like to buy the card, take it home, and start using/recharging it here (and in the rest of Europe), not in Germany.

Thanks
Yves

Sim:
Belgium: Proximus Smart+ 15 (+32 496 contract)

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#25)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-06-2012, 21:27

You can definitely buy a German Aldi SIM as a foreigner (anything different would violate the freedom of services within the EU) but you'll need to provide a German address as their activation system does not support foreign addresses. In contrast to Fonic/Lidl I haven't heard of Aldi sending out confirmation letters to the provided address, so I believe you can provide just some arbitrary existing address.

As of recharging prepaid-wiki.de says that Aldi SIM cards can be recharged by bank transfers to eplus (who actually run German AldiTalk like the Belgian AldiTalk service is run by KPN Belgium) like it works for eplus' prepaid service called "Free & Easy" (described here).
Following this information you should be able to recharge your German Aldi SIM card by transfering the desired amount to the following bank account:

payee: E-Plus Mobilfunk GmbH & Co.KG
IBAN: DE07300400000121790001
BIC: COBADEDDXXX
reference:

Recharges by bank transfer prolong validity of your SIM card as follows:
< € 0.10 = no prolongation
>= € 0.10 = 3 days
> € 1 = 1 month

So you can test this method by transferring a cent or so. Once your payment has been received and the amount has been accredited to your account you'll receive an SMS confirming the recharge.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#26)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-06-2012, 22:44

I've just realized that the reference is not being displayed above since I used arrow brackets that were deleted by the forum software. The reference when recharging a German Aldi SIM must be your Aldi phone number (e.g. 01771234567).

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#27)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-06-2012, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Following this information you should be able to recharge your German Aldi SIM card by transfering the desired amount to the following bank account:

payee: E-Plus Mobilfunk GmbH & Co.KG
IBAN: DE07300400000121790001
BIC: COBADEDDXXX
reference:

Recharges by bank transfer prolong validity of your SIM card as follows:
< € 0.10 = no prolongation
>= € 0.10 = 3 days
> € 1 = 1 month

So you can test this method by transferring a cent or so. Once your payment has been received and the amount has been accredited to your account you'll receive an SMS confirming the recharge.
This is actually very nice. So to put the card to sleep when you ony use it once a year, just to be sure, you transfer 1 euro every month and the card stays active?

Hmm, I'm leaving this friday for a holliday. Anybody so kind to buy some cards and mail me?

Maybe I just drive to Germany this afternoon.

Yves

Sim:

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#28)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-06-2012, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygeffens View Post
This is actually very nice. So to put the card to sleep when you ony use it once a year, just to be sure, you transfer 1 euro every month and the card stays active?
It's even more convenient because with higher recharges validity will be prolonged for longer:
€ 5 = 4 months
€ 15 = 12 months
€ 30 = 24 months

Also after these terms have been exceeded (so-called "Aktivitätszeitfenster"), your SIM card will remain reachable for another two months during which you can fully re-activate your SIM card by a recharge.
Some additional info in German can be found at ALDI TALK ? Prepaid-wiki

Quote:
Hmm, I'm leaving this friday for a holliday. Anybody so kind to buy some cards and mail me?
I won't make it to an Aldi store before tomorrow and according to Deutsche Post letters to Belgium take 2-3 days, so there's the risk of the SIM card not arriving in time. If you still want me to get you a SIM card, drop me a PM and we will try.

Old
  (#29)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-06-2012, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
I won't make it to an Aldi store before tomorrow and according to Deutsche Post letters to Belgium take 2-3 days, so there's the risk of the SIM card not arriving in time. If you still want me to get you a SIM card, drop me a PM and we will try.
Thanks for the offer, I couldn't take that chance so I went to Germany today to pick up a card

I registered it but it still says no service, maybe I'll just have to be patient?

Yves

Sim:

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#30)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-06-2012, 19:34

I have no experience with Aldi but according to some German forum postings activation may take a couple of hours.
Did you really drive some 180km from Arendonk to Germany and back just for a SIM card?