PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jtludwig (Offline)

Default best option for data in UK and Denmark - 08-01-2009, 15:37

Good Morning

I'll be traveling to the UK and Denmark in the near future and am looking for some recommendations on a prepaid sim that will allow for data use in both countries.

It looks like Hutchsion 3G has some very reasonable offers for the UK (1gb for 10 pounds or so) but I haven't been able to find any good deals for Denmark.

Since Hutchison 3G is also in Denmark, will my UK card work there with the same rates?

Thank you so much..I'm new to this!

Old
  (#2)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-01-2009, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
Good Morning

I'll be traveling to the UK and Denmark in the near future and am looking for some recommendations on a prepaid sim that will allow for data use in both countries.

It looks like Hutchsion 3G has some very reasonable offers for the UK (1gb for 10 pounds or so) but I haven't been able to find any good deals for Denmark.

Since Hutchison 3G is also in Denmark, will my UK card work there with the same rates?

Thank you so much..I'm new to this!

Not sure about date but both there pre paid and pay monthly have a thing called 'at home' where you pay your home rate when you roam...

you can get a payg phone/ modem, from a 3 shop or the larger carphone warehouses.....check out 3 - Home for details

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#3)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 08-01-2009, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
It's different for every H3G network, but usually the data options have the same validity abroad

For example you can use "Naviga3" by 3 ITALIA in UK and Denmark as in Italy

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#4)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-01-2009, 18:41

3 Denmark has some good deals as well. 3.dk
There is also one option without the usb modem.
The problem I had when I was there a week ago was that they didn't want to sell it to me because I didn't have a Danish ID card.
So I think that getting a 3 sim card from the UK and use it in the Denmark might be your best option. I used my Italian card without any problems.

Old
  (#5)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 09-01-2009, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ties Brants View Post
The problem I had when I was there a week ago was that they didn't want to sell it to me because I didn't have a Danish ID card.
That store doesn't know EU laws... A dutch ID card is LIKE a danish ID card.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#6)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-01-2009, 10:29

I know. I considered going back and try to explain that to them. But I had the 50 MB from my Italian card and the friend I was staying with had internet, so it wasn't so important. I was however surprised by it, because in Sweden, where you need a Swedish ID number for pretty much anything, I could get the sim card without any problems.

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 09-01-2009, 14:31

3 Like Home would apply while data roaming on 3 Denmark or 3 Sweden

The practicalities and what it costs depends on whether you want mobile broadband to a USB plug-in to your computer, or just browsing on a phone (which they say cannot be used as a modem - I haven't tried)

I've seen people saying it's a different SIM for broadband, and that it isn't, so I'm still not sure about this. I don't know whether 3 will sell just a month of broadband, or are expecting to sell a modem with every prepaid deal. For browsing just on the mobile, the data add-ons range from 50p a day to £5 a month

Old
  (#8)
caliston (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-01-2009, 16:00

All 3 UK SIMs are 3G so the worst you'll get is 384kbps 3G without HSPA. Car phone warehouse tend to sell unlocked phones, so try buying an unbranded - no operator logo on the case - from there. You can buy mobile broadband on a normal SIM without buying hardware - mine was 99p from ebay

Old
  (#9)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-01-2009, 15:01

i had similar trouble with id when i went to germanland a couple of years ago....ended up they took the hotel i was staying at as an address and my uk passport as proof of id hehehehe

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#10)
JohnDoe

Default 26-01-2009, 10:12

I did make some experiences with 3.dk last week. I used my 3.uk.co SIM card and it was just perfect. No problems, no hassle.

I used the daily net access for 50 Pence, fring was working well, just the VoipBuster Java application was blocked by three. But SIP access to my Poivy account through fring was no problem.

Internet was also no problem, even the JoikuSpot worked.

Tags
3 like home, data option, denmark, united kingdom