(#1)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 22-08-2005, 16:32

from other thread http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
I received the first call in the Adriatic sea, Wind sim card... a surprise! Why? Because on my ship (SuperFast) I had international roaming with SIMINN, a network from Iceland that has a special partnership with the greek float company Interesting thing that on SuperFast VI (Anconra-Igoumenitsa, 30th July) my Riiing didn't have roaming with SIMINN, also had at the return (SuperFast V Patra-Ancona, 17th August). Maybe they changed something...
Also I read again the "Welcome" sms that I received on the ship... it was from OceanCell that it's using Siminn network

Then I found this interesting links about the partnership between SuperFast and Siminnn

http://www.mobitel.si/eng/SalesRange/GSMSu...rageonShips.asp (in English)

http://saunalahti.fi/gsm/roaming.html (in Finnish)

http://www.myphone.gr/forum/showthre...&postid=510884 (in Greek)

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#2)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-08-2005, 17:22

Quote:
As you know, I just come back from Greece where I had 3 wonderful weeks with Greek and Italian friends
[...]
I received the first call in the Adriatic sea, Wind sim card... a surprise! Why? Because on my ship (SuperFast) I had international roaming with SIMINN, a network from Iceland that has a special partnership with the greek float company Interesting thing that on SuperFast VI (Anconra-Igoumenitsa, 30th July) my Riiing didn't have roaming with SIMINN, also had at the return (SuperFast V Patra-Ancona, 17th August). Maybe they changed something...
Nice u r back

How much did you pay for that Adriatico-Icelandic roaming?
I ask because it's a special roaming ("GSM-On-Ships") that includes using a satellite link between the ship and the land.
I checked roaming tables of Polish ops for Siminn "GSM on Ships"
Plus: N/A
Idea: incoming 13,70 PLN + rate Poland-Iceland, outgoing - 15,76 PLN, SMS 3,94 PLN
Era: incoming 16,91 PLN + rate Poland-Iceland, outgoing - 26,54 PLN, SMS 4,26 PLN.
All rates include comission of Polish ops and 22% VAT, 1 PLN = 0,25 EUR (moreless),

This is also the answer why Riiing doesn't roam Siminn on the Adriatic Sea - because of pricing it should be the Riiing zone at least 11 or 12, not zone 1 as "true" Iceland . BTW, Idea's site shows that the network code for Siminn on Adriatic ferries is "274 01 gos" - I think it could be considered from the technical point of view as a "fake MVNO" of 274 01 with (technically somehow justified) horrible pricing....

And one more thing - prepaids in Era and Idea (the latter not clealy stated however) have no roaming with Siminn "GSM on Ships"....

Old
  (#3)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-08-2005, 17:27

It?s got to be very expensive. Here in the USA, Cingular/Tmobile customers pay $4.99 to roam on ships. At least 2 cruise lines (Royal Carribean and Celebrity) are offering it at the moment.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#4)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 22-08-2005, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
Nice u r back

How much did you pay for that Adriatico-Icelandic roaming?
Incoming calls with Wind was 0.35 ? / minute (zone 1), with Riiing free (zone 1 again )

I was using Siminn with the real nation code (274 01), not a fake for the satelllite system. So I paid my normal price for Iceland and not a special tariff for a satellite system (with the same trick you can use Riiing for free on Tim net of "Costa Crociere")

I think that it's great

P.S.: the interesting thing with Tim and "Costa Crociere" (and I think that Siminn and "Superfast" have the same thing like Cingular/Tmobile customers with "Royal Carribean" and "Celebrity"... B) ) is that only Tim customers have to pay a extracharge for using this satellite system (you can read http://www.privati.tim.it/pr/pr_dett...,,4_52,00.html for further details about that) :w00t:

My Phones:
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#5)
Kurgan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 22-08-2005, 18:42

Andrea, even if I have never been on board a ship with Siminn coverage, I don't understand how could it be that someone paid a lot for using Siminn on a ship, and you did pay normal Wind price for zone 1. How is it possible? Did you manually select the "right" (in terms of price) network? Did you receive both networks on the ship?

And how about TIM and Costa ships? Do they also use a different network code?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Kurgan</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>...the utmost damage with the least effort.</span>

Old
  (#6)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 22-08-2005, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Andrea, even if I have never been on board a ship with Siminn coverage, I don't understand how could it be that someone paid a lot for using Siminn on a ship, and you did pay normal Wind price for zone 1. How is it possible? Did you manually select the "right" (in terms of price) network? Did you receive both networks on the ship?

And how about TIM and Costa ships? Do they also use a different network code?
No, on the ship I had only 1 network (Siminn; 274 01 thanks to my Netmonitor on 6630 ) and I had automatically roaming.

I think that foreigner networks can't understand to be in a mixed satellite-gsm system and so you have the normal price as usual in roaming international.

For me it's strange that in Poland they thought a different price for "OceanCell" (this is name for the service of Siminn and Superfast), I suppose that a polish customer on a Superfast ship don't pay more that usually in Iceland. So I'm sure that if I'll use with a my NOT US sim card on the "Royal Caribbean" ship I won't pay more than using normally TMob/Cingular networks.

About Tim and Costa ships... no, they use the normal 222 01 but they have a special price only for Tim customers (it's incredibile I know, but a international roamer using "Tim on the ship" will pay less than a Tim customer) because I think that their billing service can't do more with int.l roamers... :construction:

My Phones:

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#7)
Kurgan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 22-08-2005, 19:13

That's really a great behaviour. Mobile operators happily rip off their own customers while offering a good price to other networks customers.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Kurgan</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>...the utmost damage with the least effort.</span>

Old
  (#8)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-08-2005, 21:21

Quote:
No, on the ship I had only 1 network (Siminn; 274 01 thanks to my Netmonitor on 6630 ) and I had automatically roaming.

I think that foreigner networks can't understand to be in a mixed satellite-gsm system and so you have the normal price as usual in roaming international.
Hmm, I thought that they could because "on ships" networks are "fake MVNO" but if they aren't ...

Quote:
For me it's strange that in Poland they thought a different price for "OceanCell" (this is name for the service of Siminn and Superfast), I suppose that a polish customer on a Superfast ship don't pay more that usually in Iceland.
I haven't tried this roaming by myself (and I don't anyone in Poland who has) - just quoted info from roaming tables. But what you say sounds reasonable.

Quote:
So I'm sure that if I'll use with a my NOT US sim card on the "Royal Caribbean" ship I won't pay more than using normally TMob/Cingular networks.
Quite possible.

Quote:
About Tim and Costa ships... no, they use the normal 222 01 but they have a special price only for Tim customers (it's incredibile I know, but a international roamer using "Tim on the ship" will pay less than a Tim customer) because I think that their billing service can't do more with int.l roamers... :construction:
And can Wind and Voda Italy roam on TIM on the ship?

And as to GSM-on-Ships roamings...

In Poland, Idea-Orange-To-Be offers the largest choice of these king of roamings. The others than Simin are:
P&T Luxembourg - "Val de Loire" ship (France-Ireland line(?), not mentioned on the Idea site) - fees the same as Siminn of Superfast ferries
TIM Costa Crocere - incoming 14,68 PLN + rate Poland-Italy, outgoing 16,88 PLN, SMS 1,41 PLN.

The latest case is the most interesting. It's Marinetime Communications Partner - MCP. It uses +47 country code (Norway) but its network is 901 12 (virtual country? - Thuraya is 901 05). In the Idea roaming list it's the cheapest one 6,19 PLN/min + 0,68 setup fee, SMS 3,38 PLN, and what is most interesting, incoming calls are charged at 8,38 PLN/min (Poland-rest of the world rate) without operator extra's incoming charge,

Old
  (#9)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 22-08-2005, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
And can Wind and Voda Italy roam on TIM on the ship?

No. Wind, Voda and H3G can't roam on Tim GSM on the Ship... maybe it's better :P

Quote:
The latest case is the most interesting. It's Marinetime Communications Partner - MCP. It uses +47 country code (Norway) but its network is 901 12 (virtual country? - Thuraya is 901 05). In the Idea roaming list it's the cheapest one 6,19 PLN/min + 0,68 setup fee, SMS 3,38 PLN, and what is most interesting, incoming calls are charged at 8,38 PLN/min (Poland-rest of the world rate) without operator extra's incoming charge
Really interesting... i'd like to have a complete list about "gsm on the ship" services in the world but i think it will be impossible :help:

My Phones:

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-08-2005, 22:46

Quote:
No. Wind, Voda and H3G can't roam on Tim GSM on the Ship... maybe it's better :P
And it's another reason to buy Riiing

Quote:
Really interesting... i'd like to have a complete list about "gsm on the ship" services in the world but i think it will be impossible :help:
Why impossible? It requires "only" reviewing www infos about roaming agreements of all ops in the world . Anyway, I think that should be some info on gsmworld.com...