PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
nycroam (Offline)

Default Good International Sim card for 7 different countries - 15-06-2010, 21:05

I'm a NYC non profit organization that has 8 groups of teens traveling to different countries this summer. I'm about to order 6 cards and I don't want to spend all this money on a flaky service.
We're going to Colombia, Peru, Dominican republic, Thailand, Senegal, Italy and South Africa. Or can someone recommend a good international sim card with reasonable rates.

thanks for any advice

Old
  (#2)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-06-2010, 02:45

It is unlikely that any one SIM will serve you all that well due to the countries in question. In Europe there are plenty of options but elsewhere, you're better off just getting local SIMs in each country at arrival and using that. If they will have access to the Internet on a PC, maybe they can use Skype or similar services to stay in touch that way.

Active SIMs:
2007-05-14: T-Mobile post-paid (USA: 267)
2007-12: T-Mobile pre-paid (USA: 857)
2009-01-21: Mobal World (UK)
2010-06-08: TracFone (USA: 215)
2011-03-12: Tru (USA: 305)
2011-08-01: AT&T pre-paid (USA: 212)
2011-08-22: Spot Mobile (USA: 603)

Old
  (#3)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-06-2010, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycroam View Post
I'm a NYC non profit organization that has 8 groups of teens traveling to different countries this summer. I'm about to order 6 cards and I don't want to spend all this money on a flaky service.
We're going to Colombia, Peru, Dominican republic, Thailand, Senegal, Italy and South Africa. Or can someone recommend a good international sim card with reasonable rates.

thanks for any advice
I would advise you to buy one sim card for all these countries. If they do not stay that much in these countries it is a good option.

You can consider buying paytoomobile sim card which appears to offer access to these countries that interest you.

You can check their rates and see if they suit you: PaytooMobile - Rates and coverage

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-06-2010, 13:39

Doesn't the OP want a card without "flaky service"?

In that case, at least go with someone that has an established track record. I don't believe Paytoomobile does yet. At least, be aware that their previous brand was called Yackie, and you can read all about them on this forum.

You could get an international SIM so at least you have the numbers before they set out, but I would suggest a SIM from a mainstream national operator for each team. Once they get to their respective countries, sorting out a local SIM is a straightforward task. That is if I am getting this right and that each team basically just stays in one country?

Old
  (#5)
nycroam (Offline)

Default 16-06-2010, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Doesn't the OP want a card without "flaky service"?

In that case, at least go with someone that has an established track record. I don't believe Paytoomobile does yet. At least, be aware that their previous brand was called Yackie, and you can read all about them on this forum.

You could get an international SIM so at least you have the numbers before they set out, but I would suggest a SIM from a mainstream national operator for each team. Once they get to their respective countries, sorting out a local SIM is a straightforward task. That is if I am getting this right and that each team basically just stays in one country?
Yes I don't want anything with flaky service, all groups will be staying in the same country for around 2 weeks.

Old
  (#6)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-06-2010, 15:45

I agree with the "flaky service" issue. Getting free SIM cards is not worth the price if they don't work. I feel that before anyone buys a SIM card they look at their track record and customer service as well as call prices.

As an example, EKIT's customer service is open 24/7 by phone in numerous countries. Paytomobile's customer service by phone is only open from 9AM to 6PM Eastern time. At least that's what their message said when I called them. And their web site only has a U.S. and UK number.

Old
  (#7)
tivoboy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-06-2010, 22:00

I've had pretty good luck with the searoam.com cards, pricing is pretty good overall for a ubiquitous card