PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
inigar (Offline)

Default Italy: Options for heavy internet usage for a month - 05-05-2010, 12:20

Hi

I am staying in Lucca, Tuscany for a month and I need to have good 3G internet access while here so I can work.

I have read the Prepaid thread for Italy, and also researched all the networks' sites.

So far the offers that seem to work best for me are :

Three: Tre.Time Large : 300 hours for €19 per month
type=X,Y

Vodafone: Internet Facile Sempre : unlimited time, 500Mb per day, €30 per month

However, my uncertainty about these is whether I need to be tied to a contract for these. I already have the internet key, and only need it for a month - so are these plans available for a prepaid sim?

If not, can anyone suggest an alternative for 200+ hours for a month.

thanks in advance

Ben

Old
  (#2)
vegemite (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-05-2010, 11:37

Have you looked at Wind and Three? They seem to get quite a mention.

HTC Desire (unlocked UK version) / Nokia E71 (Wife's phone) / 3 Australia Post Paid SIM (both)

Looking for data / voice SIMS for Europe in August 2010 - UK, France, Italy, Austria, Croatia and Bosnia

Old
  (#3)
inigar (Offline)

Default 10-05-2010, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemite View Post
Have you looked at Wind and Three? They seem to get quite a mention.
Yes I have, infact since I wrote the post, i found out the offers I mentioned were contract only and so i've gone for the Wind MEGA ORE 100 option which is currently 50% discounted with free activation for new sims. (€7.50 p/month for three months - sim is €15 with €10 credit).

Unfortunately the Wind Restart (which lets you start your next month billing early) option isn't compatible with this offer, so I'm probably going to buy another sim when I run out of time.

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-05-2010, 19:20

100 hours are just 400 connections of 0-15 minutes... It's not a good offer in my opinion.
It much depends on what you are planning to do with internet. If just normal surfing and not music/video downloading, I think 3's Super Internet or Wind's Internet No Stop are the best choices...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
inigar (Offline)

Default 10-05-2010, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
100 hours are just 400 connections of 0-15 minutes... It's not a good offer in my opinion.
It much depends on what you are planning to do with internet. If just normal surfing and not music/video downloading, I think 3's Super Internet or Wind's Internet No Stop are the best choices...
Thanks for the response.

I do need the ability to upload / download things, however most of the time all I need to is basic browsing so I would be happy to switch sim card when I need to download something.

Three's Super Internet seems like a good option - do you know how much a three sim card is?

Regarding the Wind Internet No Stop, for some reason I thought that it was for mobiles only - it is in that section on their site: is that just a suggested usage because of the 1GB limit?

Thanks again

Ben

Old
  (#6)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-05-2010, 23:25

If I use Internet 40 on TIM, how do I deactivate it? Will it try to deactivate until it runs out of credit?

How about Mega Ore with Wind, need to deactivate?

Old
  (#7)
vegemite (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-05-2010, 00:00

I will be in Italy for about 2 weeks, is Wind the way to go? I also have 3 Australia post-paid which gives me 3 Like Home in Italy. Going through Venice, Rome and Amalfi Coast.

HTC Desire (unlocked UK version) / Nokia E71 (Wife's phone) / 3 Australia Post Paid SIM (both)

Looking for data / voice SIMS for Europe in August 2010 - UK, France, Italy, Austria, Croatia and Bosnia

Old
  (#8)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 12-05-2010, 08:21

You can go with 3 Like home in towns. Check the coverage maps (3 has good ones). In any case a Wind card costs just 10 euros and you can go with it too.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#9)
vegemite (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 17-05-2010, 08:09

Wind seems the way to go. Is this only available in Italy? I.e. can't get Wind SIMs for other countries? Does Wind have a good coverage like Amalfi coast and other non city areas? Where can you get Wind SIMs and do I need ID or any particular places to get it? We'll be in Italy for two weeks, 1GB or so should be fine - it's just for my Android phone and possibly my wife as well to use Google Maps.

Old
  (#10)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 18-05-2010, 08:11

Guys, why don't you read all the pages I wrote about the subject before asking FAQs?

Here are all the offers (with activation cost):
PrePaidGSM: Italy

Here is the complete overview for data (including coverage maps):
PrePaidGSM: Prepaid Data in Italy

You can buy a simcard anywhere in Italy, it's really easy, there's plenty of shops in every town. If you go out of Italy there are other operators with other offers.