PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Any Mexico Update - 06-08-2009, 06:02

Im looking to get another prepaid sim next time I go down to Mexico, I have been without one because I simply dont use it enough but now im needing one again. So, I check out Telcel's page and it seems that they dont have the page for "Tu Elijes" anymore. Does anyone know if they still offer planes by the second or per call like movistar or did they just move to a flat rate per minute deal? Anyone want to review the page and see if maybe Im missing it?

On a side note, Movistar seems to have improved their prepaid offerings as far as data goes. Seems you can get 40mb a day for ~$1 which is not bad consideringTmobile wants $15/mb roaming. My g/f has Telcel and I would like to be with them because it would be cheaper to call her but Telcel's page is so less informative than Movistar's that I cant figure it out in order to make a decision.

Anyone checked recently?

Old
  (#2)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-08-2009, 20:38

You're right the details of the various Telcel tariffs have disappeared (although they still have passing mentions to them on the tariff page so maybe they're grandfathered for existing customers). I don't know if they've dropped those plans or not - and asking my local Telcel dealer wouldn't help, they don't even know data works yet.

Telcel does have "unlimited" data that can be brought by the day/week/month (49 pesos / $3.77 for a day, 649 pesos / $50 for a month).

I wasn't able to find prepaid data rates on the Movistar site - could you point me to where you found it? I'm still waiting for 3G in my area of Mexico - I'll certainly be interested in getting data from whichever company gets there first (Telcel already has 3G just 1 tower away).

Looking at Movistar though I did see one MAJOR change - see "movistar 123" - the rates for calls to the US and Canada are now the same as domestic calls - from 3.30 (25c) pesos/min down to 1.67 pesos (13c/min) to US for heavier users. Very comparable with US domestic prepaid. For somebody who mainly calls North America it looks like the best deal. (plus, most recharges are valid for 90 days).

Unless I'm misreading, it's now also cheaper to call a local Telcel number from Movistar 123 than from Telcel (apart from the Amigo fidelidad rate, which requires an account to be open a year).

Last edited by RTuesday; 06-08-2009 at 20:48..

Old
  (#3)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-08-2009, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
You're right the details of the various Telcel tariffs have disappeared (although they still have passing mentions to them on the tariff page so maybe they're grandfathered for existing customers). I don't know if they've dropped those plans or not - and asking my local Telcel dealer wouldn't help, they don't even know data works yet.

Telcel does have "unlimited" data that can be brought by the day/week/month (49 pesos / $3.77 for a day, 649 pesos / $50 for a month).

I wasn't able to find prepaid data rates on the Movistar site - could you point me to where you found it? I'm still waiting for 3G in my area of Mexico - I'll certainly be interested in getting data from whichever company gets there first (Telcel already has 3G just 1 tower away).

Looking at Movistar though I did see one MAJOR change - see "movistar 123" - the rates for calls to the US and Canada are now the same as domestic calls - from 3.30 (25c) pesos/min down to 1.67 pesos (13c/min) to US for heavier users. Very comparable with US domestic prepaid. For somebody who mainly calls North America it looks like the best deal. (plus, most recharges are valid for 90 days).

Unless I'm misreading, it's now also cheaper to call a local Telcel number from Movistar 123 than from Telcel (apart from the Amigo fidelidad rate, which requires an account to be open a year).

Yeah, seems as if Telcel has done away with rates for prepaid and the only mention i see is 4pesos per minute. I think movistar is overall a much better deal even if my g/f has Telcel. Movistar seems to have always had better rates.

Anyway, here is the link to Movistar's prepaid data rates:

.: Movistar México :. Servicios

There is also a very good forum at PoderPDA - INICIO . This site has excellent up to date information on the forums (under "comunidad" then "foros") for all the carriers as well as other services in Mexico.

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-08-2009, 08:58

Thanks for those links. Interesting forum.

Movistar is looking better and better now, for voice. I like the single rate to anywhere in North America, saves messing around with callback for infrequent short calls. Plus, their prepaid roaming is now very impressive - most countries covered, and 51c/min incoming in the US (with Telcel, it's $1.60 except in some border areas). And, the minimum running cost is around 200 pesos per year compared to Telcel's 600 pesos per year.

I still prefer Telcel's approach to data, unlimited for a given time, rather than the Movistar data bundles (but the cheapest Movistar one is good for very low users). Movistar has very little 3G.

Old
  (#5)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-08-2009, 03:42

Yeah, all very true. Im making a small career change and I have the feeling that now when I spend time in Monterrey with my g/f im going to need to be reachable whereas before it hasn't been a big deal. Anyway, I need data also and combine all that with the straight forward pricing they have on their website and the cheap calls back to the US and its looking like the route for me.

Anyway, like alot of things this is ever changing, Im going to have to report back on how it goes.