PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#41)
sec (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Thumbs up Thank You!!! - 06-11-2007, 16:34

Thanks a lot to djalqali for starting this thread and especially to bbob (but also to everyone else) for providing all the info.

I have finally started understanding how all this works (something I had been wanting to do for ages). I have set up an account with pbxes with which I set up my messagenet VOIP fixed line number so that calls are diverted to my UM+.

That's really great: I finally can divert calls from my Italian mobile number to the UM+ number through the Italian VOIP number (right now at a cost of 17 cent/min because I am using messagenet also outbound, since I did not want to activate a further account with another VOIP provider... but on the other hand it's not that bad since it's billed 1/1!).

Thanks again to all.

My Phones: Nokia 6230 - Nec N343i - Nokia 6230i
My Sims: Wind IT prepaid (+ Voda IT postpaid corporate phone)
Prepaid Sims: WORLWIDE: Riiing, UM+ - IT: Voda, Wind
Deceased Sims: WORLWIDE: Hop - NZ: Vodafone - FR: Bouygues - IT: H3G - US: T-Mobile

Old
  (#42)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-11-2007, 09:07

17 cents is not bad. I can be done a bit cheaper with betamax but that could be maybe only 3-4 cents.

I asume that the 17 cent includes VAt as most betamax rates don't include VAT.

When you are using the free pbx solution you are limited to 2 voice channels. So at the moment it will work for you as you have 1 incoming did line forwarded to 1 outgoing line, makes 2 voice channels.

When you would like more channels or use the pbxes callback need the premium version.

You can than easliy setup your own callback. You call your italian did number and will get a busy tone (use a normal italian prepaid phone to do this). When you get the callback you will get the pbxes dialtone and can dial from there at the messagenet rates (or other voip provider rates). This way you can make cheaper calls also.

Old
  (#43)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-11-2007, 12:44

Take a look at NerdVittles.com. They have been offering enhanced versions of trixbox for a long time. Apparently, they are going to their own Asterisk implementation (free). What is interesting about it is that they appear to have made an arrangement with a hosting company to carry this implementation (for a charge) for people who want it.

PBXes is far more limited than Asterisks, but there is a distinct advantage (IMHO) to a hosted solution. It doesn't gobble your home bandwith, eliminates QOS issues, and is particularly advantageous if the machine is running in an empty nest or when you would need to bring in extra network capacity to handle the same. (It is also particularly helpful when your state run ISP is known with screwing with VOIP).

Old
  (#44)
sec (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-11-2007, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
I assume that the 17 cent includes VAT as most betamax rates don't include VAT.
Yes, includes VAT. I might look into callback in the future, but right now I'm very happy with the implemented solution... VOIP is a new world for me (not being neither from the field nor a technician, but just a "gsm fan") and I don't have - right now - a volume of calls such to justify more advanced solutions.

My Phones: Nokia 6230 - Nec N343i - Nokia 6230i
My Sims: Wind IT prepaid (+ Voda IT postpaid corporate phone)
Prepaid Sims: WORLWIDE: Riiing, UM+ - IT: Voda, Wind
Deceased Sims: WORLWIDE: Hop - NZ: Vodafone - FR: Bouygues - IT: H3G - US: T-Mobile

Old
  (#45)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-11-2007, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Take a look at NerdVittles.com. They have been offering enhanced versions of trixbox for a long time. Apparently, they are going to their own Asterisk implementation (free). What is interesting about it is that they appear to have made an arrangement with a hosting company to carry this implementation (for a charge) for people who want it.

PBXes is far more limited than Asterisks, but there is a distinct advantage (IMHO) to a hosted solution. It doesn't gobble your home bandwith, eliminates QOS issues, and is particularly advantageous if the machine is running in an empty nest or when you would need to bring in extra network capacity to handle the same. (It is also particularly helpful when your state run ISP is known with screwing with VOIP).
looks good the trixbox alternative. I read somewhere they are also offering this on servers in future like you said. The only thing I could read was an Atlanta datacenter.

The advantage of pbxes is that they have several datacenters around the world and if you use the service in the USA you can use the USA server in Europe the German of French server and this helps to connect faster. When in europe and you have to connect to a USA server you could end up having a too high delay (in ms) in the connection.

PBXES is indeed limited but on the other hand it's easier to configure than an asterisk system. Also I have seen some asterisk sever but they charge $35 per month comparred to the euro 10 / usd 15 per month for pbxes.

I think there is a market for all these products. True experts would like an asterisk as they can finetune this really to their need. On the other hand pbxes offer a easy solution which many users can use and also important you can start to play around using their free solution.

Old
  (#46)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-11-2007, 15:55

The other concern I had about FreePBX when I looked at it was the hardware requirement they specify to run both VMWare and the program: a desktop machine that is less than two years old, etc. Do you think they mean it? I was thinking of trying it out on a machine that's probably 6+ years old, but has a Pentium 4, 1.7GHz processor, and 640 MB of RAM. This would be mostly to play with rather than any kind of critical need, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also, any idea how FreePBX would compare to programs that are written for Windows, such as 3CX (www.3cx.com) or Axon (www.nch.com.au/pbx/index.html)?

Old
  (#47)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-11-2007, 18:15

I have tried nch axon for some time, it's very nice but very basic compared to freepbx. Also using nch axon I had problems registering voip phones from other locations as an extension.
The same might apply when running your own server at home. the pentium 4 you have should be enough to run linux and freepbx.

What you might need to configure is your router to open ports so outside extensions can login to the system.
Also it would be best to have a router using qos as otherwise when your freepbx is on the same internet connection and you start downloading some stuff, voice could be delayed.

You don't really need the VM ware, only if you want to run it under windows. Just install the linux image.

NCh does also have a nice piece of software skype2sip. Have skype running on your windows pc and incoming skype calls will be rerouted to your nch axon server. Using preset numbers in skype you can also dial skype numbers using a sip phone.

I have also seen some people that rent their on vserver for a few dollars per month, install linux and install freepbxes and asterisk on them. But this does require some knowledge of linux and it's really do it yourself and find out yourself.

Old
  (#48)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-11-2007, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
the pentium 4 you have should be enough to run linux and freepbx.

What you might need to configure is your router to open ports so outside extensions can login to the system.
Also it would be best to have a router using qos as otherwise when your freepbx is on the same internet connection and you start downloading some stuff, voice could be delayed.

You don't really need the VM ware, only if you want to run it under windows. Just install the linux image.
I don't have a problem forwarding ports, and my router has quite good QOS control. I have fooled around with Linux before, but unfortunately I can't dedicate a computer to it, or even run the computer on a Linux partition. I have a few Windows services running on that machine that I can't really afford to shut down or move. Would the VMWare + FreePBX gobble up all its resources?