PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default Another Wind failure - 09-07-2012, 19:40

Got news there was a deal from Wind mobile in Canada ( Vimpelcom ) so i had a bloke in the office take my sim for the " international " sim card and it was far too easy.. when the sim arrived it did not work, I was not surprised so I called in. Anyone on Wind in Canada knows you must Call in again and again and again and then you have a slim chance to get things done right. Well after 3 weeks, and over 10 calls in … nothing. I can see now why they are in such trouble. The worst customer service I have ever had. Now after seeing an interview with winds new owners I have to ask how are they going to survive with out LTE? Even T-Mobile is dumping AWS .. thankfully my nexus was a free phone and I am able to use it elsewhere.

anyone want to buy my ambassadors account please let me know. PM is best.

Old
  (#2)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-07-2012, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
The worst customer service I have ever had.
Quite an indictment for a company whose challenge is only to look good compared to Bhell and Robbers

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#3)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-07-2012, 04:00

I'm in no way a Wind fan, but to their credit, the European roaming package worked very well for us.

I called and added the option the day they announced it and went to get my SIMs replaced a few days later. Over a ten day trip through Europe we put about 330 in/out minutes and 15MB of Blackberry data between two phones... Not a single issue.

Make sure you activate both the $8 roaming option but also international roaming. They are separate SOCs.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#4)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-07-2012, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
I'm in no way a Wind fan, but to their credit, the European roaming package worked very well for us.

I called and added the option the day they announced it and went to get my SIMs replaced a few days later. Over a ten day trip through Europe we put about 330 in/out minutes and 15MB of Blackberry data between two phones... Not a single issue.

Make sure you activate both the $8 roaming option but also international roaming. They are separate SOCs.
I had it all added and it simply was not working. The customer service was a total joke. The best advice they gave me was to have me pull the sim an battery and try again.. time and time again no luck. I made a post on the hofo and was flooded by PM of people saying they had little to no luck. Others spoke of getting charged $3-$4 a minute. I have been most critical of wind in the past and when I feel they maybe onto something they fall flat on their faces. On a brighter note one of my ambassador packages has been sold 2 left!!

Old
  (#5)
Telekom (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 10-07-2012, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
Got news there was a deal from Wind mobile in Canada ( Vimpelcom ) so i had a bloke in the office take my sim for the " international " sim card and it was far too easy.. when the sim arrived it did not work, I was not surprised so I called in. Anyone on Wind in Canada knows you must Call in again and again and again and then you have a slim chance to get things done right. Well after 3 weeks, and over 10 calls in … nothing. I can see now why they are in such trouble. The worst customer service I have ever had. Now after seeing an interview with winds new owners I have to ask how are they going to survive with out LTE? Even T-Mobile is dumping AWS .. thankfully my nexus was a free phone and I am able to use it elsewhere.

anyone want to buy my ambassadors account please let me know. PM is best.
Where did you get the idea that T-Mobile was dumping AWS? They paid a lot of money for that spectrum. They're hardly going to "dump" it. And you can put LTE on any frequency. You do need the correct radio and consumer equipment. AT&T before their failed attempt to acquire T-Mobile had designs on LTE using AWS until that deal fell through.

--
Current SIMs:

AT&T US
T-Mobile US
T-Mobile NL
Fido CA
Orange IL

Old
  (#6)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-07-2012, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telekom View Post
Where did you get the idea that T-Mobile was dumping AWS? They paid a lot of money for that spectrum. They're hardly going to "dump" it. And you can put LTE on any frequency. You do need the correct radio and consumer equipment. AT&T before their failed attempt to acquire T-Mobile had designs on LTE using AWS until that deal fell through.
Agreed - and the Canadian carriers with AWS (outside Wind at least) are deploying LTE on that band as we speak. Rogers and Bell have theirs up and regional carrier SaskTel will have some LTE on AWS by the end of the year.

Radio spectrum is far too precious to waste. As you stated, that was the whole motivation of the AT&T/T-Mobile merger.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#7)
robsaw (Offline)

Default 11-10-2012, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telekom View Post
T-Mobile is re-deploying AWS for LTE (at least in some areas) and shifting HSPA to PCS 1900. Not quite the same thing as "dumping".