PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default SIM for London & Edinburgh - 16-09-2013, 02:12

This may well be the most stupid question of all times, but here goes...

Am I correct to assume that I can use the same UK SIM in London and Edinburgh or are there different providers England and Scotland.

Old
  (#2)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-09-2013, 06:52

They are the same.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#3)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-09-2013, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie1955 View Post
This may well be the most stupid question of all times, but here goes...

Am I correct to assume that I can use the same UK SIM in London and Edinburgh or are there different providers England and Scotland.
The same SIM should work throughout all of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not sure about places like Isle of Man though.

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#4)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-09-2013, 12:40

Thought so. Thank you.

Old
  (#5)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-09-2013, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamp View Post
The same SIM should work throughout all of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not sure about places like Isle of Man though.
Yes, the same British networks operate throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey are all outside the UK, and despite using area codes and mobile codes under the UK's +44 country code, these Crown dependencies have their own mobile networks with consequent roaming charges between them and the UK.

Even worse, because the Crown dependencies are not in the UK, they are not in the EU or EEA, and consequently the EU roaming regulations don't apply. Although most UK networks voluntarily apply EU price caps when roaming in the Crown dependencies, the Crown dependencies' networks don't do the same in the other direction.

Old
  (#6)
AftOf245 (Offline)

Default 18-09-2013, 00:27

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been covered. My wife is in London and she will be getting a Pay As you go phone, I have looked at all the plans and they do not refer to any costs for incoming calls? I will be calling her from Canada from my mobile phone.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thank you in advance

Old
  (#7)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-09-2013, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftOf245 View Post
I am new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been covered. My wife is in London and she will be getting a Pay As you go phone, I have looked at all the plans and they do not refer to any costs for incoming calls? I will be calling her from Canada from my mobile phone.
I'm not an expert but I believe if you are not roaming, for example you bought a local market SIM card. That incoming phone calls are free as the caller is the one who gets charged for the phone calls.

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#8)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 18-09-2013, 08:42

In Europe, incoming calls are free, unless you are roaming in another country. Paying for incoming calls is a peculiarity of the North American telephone system, where mobile and landline phones share the same numbers.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#9)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-09-2013, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
In Europe, incoming calls are free, unless you are roaming in another country. Paying for incoming calls is a peculiarity of the North American telephone system, where mobile and landline phones share the same numbers.
The point in North American networks is that there's no termination fee: carriers bill both to the caller and the receiver to maintain the network. Here the receiving provider earns some money if the calling customer is on another network. In NA no.

Old
  (#10)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 18-09-2013, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The point in North American networks is that there's no termination fee: carriers bill both to the caller and the receiver to maintain the network. Here the receiving provider earns some money if the calling customer is on another network. In NA no.
Correct. And there couldn't be a termination fee (= calls to mobile numbers are more expensive) unless the mobile numbers were different. So the recipient gets to pay the premium instead.