PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-04-2012, 17:27

It should say: "But anyway if my theory about your SIM card's IMSI starting with a different network code than Three's Macanese 3G network is right..."

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#22)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-04-2012, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Now if your Macanese SIM card has an IMSI from Three's 2G network (starting with 455-03) and your device was registered on their 3G network (which has a different network code) your device would have considered the 3G network as being a roaming network, which your Huawei E583C would have inidcated by an "R" in its display and which would have resulted in it not connecting automatically. In this case you would have needed to connect manually by pressing the "connect" button despite your E583C presumably was in automatic connection mode.

It should say: "But anyway if my theory about your SIM card's IMSI starting with a different network code than Three's Macanese 3G network is right..."
I have checked another 3 SIM's IMSI which I had also tried it in Macau. As you said, I downloaded a IMSI checking app. This SIM's IMSI is 454030040664394, it was 2G which I have used in Hong Kong. I havn't checked the Macanese Micro SIM yet, because I left it at home and it was expired. I will check it later.

May I ask... If the SIM is a Mobile broadband, it will be fully compatible with Huawei e583c?

So, TIM "Internet Senza Limiti" is absolutely matched Huawei e583c device? Just simply set the apn "ibox.tim.it" will be connected automatically, no need to connect manually, right?

Old
  (#23)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-04-2012, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
I have checked another 3 SIM's IMSI which I had also tried it in Macau. As you said, I downloaded a IMSI checking app. This SIM's IMSI is 454030040664394, it was 2G which I have used in Hong Kong.
This SIM obviously has an IMSI from Three's Hong Kong 3G network (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_..._China.29_-_HK) but I assume that this SIM can also register on Three's Hong Kong 2G network. However if this particular SIM with an identity from the 3G network registers on the 2G network (which has a different network code), your device assumes it is roaming on a foreign network (because of the differing network codes) and so it probably wouldn't automatically establish a data connection in order to protect you from potentially high charges (which usually apply if you use another network than your home network). But in this particular case I assume that there wouldn't be extraordinary charges as you would use the same operator despite this technical difference so you would just need to manually connect by pressing the "connect" button.

Quote:
May I ask... If the SIM is a Mobile broadband, it will be fully compatible with Huawei e583c?
I can't tell you. Only your operator can say if your SIM is beind admitted to his 3G network and if it is eligible for data tariffs.
But you should know Three's configuration in Hong Kong and Macau (different network codes for their 2G and 3G network) is rather unusual. At least in Europe operators use the same network code for their 2G and 3G network, so our devices don't "think" they are using a foreign network once they switch from 2G to 3G or vice versa. With a TIM SIM card your device will consider TIM's 2G and 3G network as its home network and will automatically establish a data session.

Quote:
So, TIM "Internet Senza Limiti" is absolutely matched Huawei e583c device? Just simply set the apn "ibox.tim.it" will be connected automatically, no need to connect manually, right?
Yes. Your E583C should work flawlessly on the TIM network and it will automatically connect unless you have disabled automatical connection (in this case you would just need to press the "connect" button). TIM uses GSM900 and GSM1800 for its 2G network and UMTS2100 for its 3G network - all supported by your E583C.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 10-04-2012 at 02:39..

Old
  (#24)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-04-2012, 03:25

Quote:

Yes. Your E583C should work flawlessly on the TIM network and it will automatically connect unless you have disabled automatical connection (in this case you would just need to press the "connect" button). TIM uses GSM900 and GSM1800 for its 2G network and UMTS2100 for its 3G network - all supported by your E583C.
Thank you so much All my worries are gone.

The Mobile Network Code for TIM Italy is ~
222 01 (GSM900 / GSM1800 / UMTS 2100), as you say... same MNC code.

I am now more clear and understand about their different, thanks a lot

Old
  (#25)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-04-2012, 23:27

I have checked the IMSI of Macauese SIM, 455033100934584. It is 2G, GSM900 / 1800.
Huawei e583c can support these. However, as said before... it showed "45505"

Should I need to change the WCDMA Prefered to GSM Only mode in the "Mobile Network Settings"?

Old
  (#26)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2012, 00:32

If you chose "GSM only" your device will register to 2G networks which means terribly slow Internet speed.
You simply need to manually connect while being registered to Three's Macanese 3G network (455-05) by pressing the "connect" button because your E583C won't connect automatically as it considers this network being a roaming network and in consequence disables auto connection in order to protect you from roaming rates.
Alternatively you can enable "Automatically connect even when roaming" in the E583C's settings but you should be careful with this option because it may cause extremly high costs if you forget it one day.

Old
  (#27)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-04-2012, 01:24

Quote:
If you chose "GSM only" your device will register to 2G networks which means terribly slow Internet speed.
You simply need to manually connect while being registered to Three's Macanese 3G network (455-05) by pressing the "connect" button because your E583C won't connect automatically as it considers this network being a roaming network and in consequence disables auto connection in order to protect you from roaming rates.
Alternatively you can enable "Automatically connect even when roaming" in the E583C's settings but you should be careful with this option because it may cause extremly high costs if you forget it one day.
Thanks again.

May I ask... using TIM in Italy, need not to enable "Automatically connect even when roaming" ? ... coz TIM is local SIM for Internet and browsering?

I have read a tread here, member stated that not all SIM will support skype. Then, will TIM support?

Old
  (#28)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2012, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
May I ask... using TIM in Italy, need not to enable "Automatically connect even when roaming" ? ... coz TIM is local SIM for Internet and browsering?
No, because you won't be roaming with a TIM SIM in Italy as TIM have assigned the same network code to both, their 2G and their 3G network.
As explained above in Europe network operators use the same network code for their 2G and 3G networks so your device does not consider one of them as a roaming network.

Quote:
I have read a tread here, member stated that not all SIM will support skype. Then, will TIM support?
Unfortunately I don't know.

Old
  (#29)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-04-2012, 02:55

Hi inquisitor,

Thank you so much for your detail explanation and all information, I learn a lot.

May I ask one more question?

What is the different bewteen GSM 900 & UMTS900?

Last edited by kimdo; 11-04-2012 at 03:05..

Old
  (#30)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-04-2012, 10:33

I've explained that recently in another context here.