PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 07-04-2010, 19:23

I suppose everyone is going to have to eventually start offering them. Interesting that the microSIM was actually agreed upon as long ago as November 2003:
SmartCardsTrends -

From there this bit is especially interesting:
Quote:
...with the development of even smaller terminals, the point may soon be reached where the plug-in card occupies too much volume in the terminal, especially in those devices whose secondary purpose will be to communicate, such as digital cameras or watches.
I really hate the way Apple somehow feels the need to be the launch customer with this rather "tiny" new device of theirs. They couldn't possibly have found a way for it to accommodate a full size SIM could they?

These guys managed: YouTube - WORLD SMALLEST ULTRA MINI TINY MOBILE CELL PHONE U9 ( size of MATCHBOX )

Old
  (#2)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 25-04-2010, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
I suppose everyone is going to have to eventually start offering them. Interesting that the microSIM was actually agreed upon as long ago as November 2003:
SmartCardsTrends -

From there this bit is especially interesting:

I really hate the way Apple somehow feels the need to be the launch customer with this rather "tiny" new device of theirs. They couldn't possibly have found a way for it to accommodate a full size SIM could they?

These guys managed: YouTube - WORLD SMALLEST ULTRA MINI TINY MOBILE CELL PHONE U9 ( size of MATCHBOX )
I'm sure it was done at the request of AT&T so people didn't just take their iPhone SIM and put it in their iPad. But knowing Apple, probably didn't have to ask more than once

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#3)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-04-2010, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I'm sure it was done at the request of AT&T so people didn't just take their iPhone SIM and put it in their iPad. But knowing Apple, probably didn't have to ask more than once
Yes, because the US is the only country where Apple sells the iPhone.

I haven't seen numbers, but I doubt the US accounts for more than about 1/3 of world iPhone sales. The iPhone is wildly popular in a lot of countries.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.