PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#41)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-11-2005, 16:36

Good point pschi, you are totally right, I really forgot to take a look at Manx roaming agreements... now I saw they have roaming with Tele2 only in FL, no FL1 (United Mobile)...

And welcome to PrePaidGSM Pschi, nice to see someone from Luxembourg, keep us informed about offers there too!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#42)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-11-2005, 17:09

I didn't know roaming agreements affected the exchange of SMS between networks. Would explain some of the problems I've had texting to/from Mexico.

I've tried out GPRS on gt-sim. Doesn't work for me. However I'm not a heavy user of gprs and may have set something up wrong, I'll let others with more knowledge test that properly.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#43)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 11-11-2005, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
I've tried out GPRS on gt-sim. Doesn't work for me.
But did you write for the GPRS?

Read it in the GT's FAQ:

Can I connect to data services with GT-SIM?
Yes, please contact our service team. The service team will then activate the GPRS service.

I suppose that you have to activate it... also I already ordered the sim with GPRS and visible ID (your phone number don't appear, right?), I'm simply waiting for the item

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#44)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-11-2005, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
But did you write for the GPRS?

Read it in the GT's FAQ:

Can I connect to data services with GT-SIM?
Yes, please contact our service team. The service team will then activate the GPRS service.

I suppose that you have to activate it... also I already ordered the sim with GPRS and visible ID (your phone number don't appear, right?), I'm simply waiting for the item
I called the "service team" (one guy in Germany by the sounds of it) and requested the GPRS settings from him (same as http://www.manxpronto.net/default.asp?id=45 ), he sms'd them to me so you would think he would also enable it...........

Probably closed till monday now though, and as I'm travelling soon I'll let others play with that. The 24 hour support is also something that is "coming soon".

Yes, my number is withheld. Didn't really notice that as I have it on my landline phones anyway, nice that it is the default.

Old
  (#45)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-11-2005, 22:06

Quote:
I didn't know roaming agreements affected the exchange of SMS between networks. Would explain some of the problems I've had texting to/from Mexico.
And, of course, you shouldn't be able to send an SMS from your "regular" Manx Telecom mobile phone to Riiing either .

Technically, possibility of SMS interchange doesn't depend on existence of the roaming agreement. Otherwise, there would be no SMS interchange between operators within any country, in which there's no national roaming . However, AFAIK usually the possibility of international GSM interchange is just a "direct result" of the roaming agreement.

But, of course, operators might make it possible to interchange SMSes without roaming agreements. The example is the Non-GSM SMS service in Plus GSM, Poland. It's possible to send SMSes from Plus to some CDMA, TDMA and AMPS networks in USA and Canada.

Old
  (#46)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-11-2005, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
The future's bright!
OT - It's damn bright :P. The only cheap international SMSes remained in Plus prepaids. Even is Plus postpaid plans it's standard 0,61 PLN (0,50 + 22% VAT)

Old
  (#47)
flodis79 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 12-11-2005, 22:26

Quote:
3. Got the GPRS setting which seems to be a standard Manx Pronto one, will try that later when I get time.
What are the settings you got? I wanna try on my gtsim..

Old
  (#48)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-11-2005, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodis79
What are the settings you got? I wanna try on my gtsim..
Same as Manx Pronto.

I've confirmed with gt-sim that GPRS is supposed to have been enabled for me and those settings are what I'm supposed to use, but I get "not authorized". It's been passed on to the gt-sim technical people.

Old
  (#49)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-11-2005, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimon
USA and Canada roaming are 60 cents extra (fine print -- India 1 Euro more). Not clear if that is send, receive or both or if it even applies to free incoming. The one page is somewhat vague as has been noted.
I just sent GT-SIM and inquiry regarding the use of their SIM by USA based customers. I want to see what they say about "free national incoming" vs. "60cts/min USA roaming". (I think I know what the answer will be, but it should be clearer on the webiste.)

Old
  (#50)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-11-2005, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
I just sent GT-SIM and inquiry regarding the use of their SIM by USA based customers. I want to see what they say about "free national incoming" vs. "60cts/min USA roaming". (I think I know what the answer will be, but it should be clearer on the webiste.)
I did get a quick response which cleared things up:
Quote:
in general roaming in a home-network incoming calls are free of charge and outgoing are
26cent or 38cent.

We have exceptions like the USA or Canada. If you sign up and make calls they will be charged at
26cent and 38cent with an addition of the surcharge of 60cent. incoming calls would be at 60cent in your home network.

If you would travel you would pay 26cent and 38cent while you make calls while you are out of the USA and incoming calls with abroad are
38cent.

With best regards

Peter Eggli