PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Callback Module Works (finally!) in Freepbx - 01-05-2010, 21:50

If you are a Freepbx user, you can now easily make your own callback system.

The callback module, which has been present but not working in older versions, now works!

Just set up the module, and have it connect to DISA after the callback (I'm not attempting to give a primer on freepbx here, but just some pointers that assume some knowledge.) Have the callback route to your IOM SIM via a Betamax clone, and you are at way less than 10 US cents per minute.

One easily solvable problem - the default is to only ring back the triggering number for 15 seconds and to then give up. There is no adjustment in the GUI for this timeout. However, if you go to to the file /var/lib/asterisk/bin/callback, you can change the timeout parameter from 15,000 to 30,000, and you will get a 30 second attempt rather than a 15 second attempt. Just be sure to note the permissions for the callback file, and make sure that you do not change them or the callback may not execute properly.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 03-05-2010, 13:16

Just curious why you chose to callback to a DISA rather than a dialtone. Are you always calling the same three or four numbers or is there something else?

I've been paying the $15 a year extra for a Voxalot's premium service and have two Freepbx extensions tied to it. I use its web bas ed call back module to trigger my box.

Old
  (#3)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-05-2010, 18:48

The DISA module does give a dial tone. So, the caller calls the trigger number, then the Asterisk system calls back and give a dial tone.

There are other variations. For example, if you will frequently be checking voicemail, you can have the callback module connect you with your voicemail, then you can dial out from there after listening to your messages. However, DISA has the functionality to allow the use to press "**" and make another call, which I'm not sure is possible with the voicemail dial-out system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Just curious why you chose to callback to a DISA rather than a dialtone. Are you always calling the same three or four numbers or is there something else?

I've been paying the $15 a year extra for a Voxalot's premium service and have two Freepbx extensions tied to it. I use its web bas ed call back module to trigger my box.

Old
  (#4)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 03-05-2010, 21:24

I have my FreePBX callback direct me to an IVR where I have speed dials setup as extensions. I also have a DISA extension setup for other numbers.

The whole setup works in conjunction with either Betamax trunks and a SIP to GSM/UMTS gateway from Topex.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#5)
BMWBA12 (Offline)

Default 19-10-2010, 01:41

I would like to download Call Back ringtones to my BlackBerry....Anyone have any advice to help me out? I can't seem to find a website like anywhere!?! Thanks -Beth

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-10-2010, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBA12 View Post
I would like to download Call Back ringtones to my BlackBerry....Anyone have any advice to help me out? I can't seem to find a website like anywhere!?! Thanks -Beth
When we're talking about callback, it's a completely different function to those special ringing tones for the caller to hear

I believe that they are only set up by your own network provider. Maybe someone here will know more about them, but otherwise good luck with your search

Old
  (#7)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-11-2010, 14:25

Acrobits new version of Groundwire has support for callback modules using http and SOAP. On an iPhone (and soon Droid), you'll have a virtual dialpad that you just dial on your PDA and have your local SIM ring. Right now, I'm using Voxalot with a virtual extension off my Asterisks to do the dialing. I also have done callback VOIP, but I've always been concerned that this is the easiest to block. Additionally, if you are doing it only with a roaming SIM, it is a royal pain in the arse.

Old
  (#8)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-11-2010, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Acrobits new version of Groundwire has support for callback modules using http and SOAP. On an iPhone (and soon Droid), you'll have a virtual dialpad that you just dial on your PDA and have your local SIM ring. Right now, I'm using Voxalot with a virtual extension off my Asterisks to do the dialing. I also have done callback VOIP, but I've always been concerned that this is the easiest to block. Additionally, if you are doing it only with a roaming SIM, it is a royal pain in the arse.
Sounds nice but wouldn't you be charged high dataroaming charges when doing this outside your home country ?

I do carry 2 phones 1 to trigger the callback and 1 to have roaming free receiption of the call.

Old
  (#9)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 24-11-2010, 22:27

I'm very lucky because I have unlimited international data on a grandfathered ATT plan. Now that VOIP over 3g has come of age (and I've finally managed to tweak my phone), I can now make many calls from abroad for free. Incidentally, for mega data users, look at iPhone trip which is $65 a week or $250 a month for 7 gigs of data per week anywhere in the world.

Turning to the general issue, however, the amount of data in a call back trigger over 3g is minimal. The real problem is that once you turn on iPhone or Android international data abroad, you could suck through 20 megabytes in five minutes on other things that download at the same time. Now that many of the roaming SIMs have some prepaid data functions, Voxalot's callback which gives you a simple menu (which you can save offline) may prove cheap for some users.

The Chinese dual SIM phones seem like a possibility for a callback triggering phone and a callback.