PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default About to use a Truphone SIM - 12-03-2011, 03:49

Between UMA and unlimited email, I've managed without prepaid or an "international" card for the past couple years. I would have bought an abroadband data card, if they didn't restrict sales to EU addresses. I didn't want to take a chance with them sending it to a hotel in Spain - and miss the delivery for one reason or another.
That said, thanks to a member here for posting an alert, I bot a new dumbphone with a Truphone SIM with $15 credit on it for about $23 on Ebay. Truphone is NOT cheap. 51 cents for calling within most countries and 86 cents to call U.S. The latter is no savings at all! Incoming is 21 cents. (These seem to be the rates in most first world countries.) You get a U.S. number. (Can get UK or Aussie as well.) I'll be using it for a couple weeks in Spain and Portugal - for making local calls IF necessary when not near wifi.
The only advantage of Truphone seems to be if you are traveling to U.S., UK, or Australia. They call those "Tru Countries". For a $15/mo fee you can make local calls for about 20 cents/min. Incoming about the same. They say they are adding 6-12 more "home countries" in the next 18 months.

...mike
Before abroadband came on the scene, Truphone seemed to have the best data rates. $2.17/mb.

I'll

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.