PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question Proper eKit data settings? - 14-09-2008, 18:50

I noticed that eKit says on their site that data works in over 70 countries as of 1 September, however they do not indicate the correct settings users need to put into their phone in order to use the service.

My Nokia E61 seems to pick them up just fine upon power-on (it shows up as being from Manx Pronto, which I found out upon a Google search is an Isle of Man mobile telecom, Manx Telecom), however my primary device for this SIM is a generic watch phone, that requires a lot of various data in particular places.

Two examples I have for US operators follow:

AT&T MEdia Net WAP GPRS

APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Homepage: http://device.home
Connection Type: WAP (IP Address: 66.209.11.61, Security: off)

T-Mobile USA T-Zones WAP GPRS

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username & password are left blank
Authentication Type: Secure
Homepage: http://wap.myvoicestream.com/
Connection type: WAP (IP address: 216.155.165.50, Security: On)

If anyone knows how I can obtain the correct values to use (I have tried Manx' postpaid settings and they don't work), this thread may be a good place to post them at.

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-09-2008, 15:34

I hadn't realised they'd launched this. I think the tariffs could do with improvement

Can you phone their customer services and ask them to get the settings sent?

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-09-2008, 16:05

Their site says "Set the Access Point Name (APN) to mobiledata"

So set the APN to "mobiledata", leave username and password blank and try which authentication type works (unsecured/PAP or secured/CHAP).

If a homepage has to be provided, just set http://www.google.com/m (that's the mobile version of Google).
And connection type should be HTTP, as they obviously don't require WAP-proxy-usage.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-09-2008, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Their site says "Set the Access Point Name (APN) to mobiledata"

So set the APN to "mobiledata", leave username and password blank and try which authentication type works (unsecured/PAP or secured/CHAP).

If a homepage has to be provided, just set http://www.google.com/m (that's the mobile version of Google).
And connection type should be HTTP, as they obviously don't require WAP-proxy-usage.
As soon as I select HTTP, I am asked for a proxy address & proxy port (and if I leave it empty, the phone says invalid address, it assumes 0.0.0.0 upon the blank field).

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-09-2008, 13:47

Does your phone happen to be quite old and so not support WAP2.0/direct HTTP access? What's your model?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#6)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Angry 16-09-2008, 18:54

Quote:
Does your phone happen to be quite old and so not support WAP2.0/direct HTTP access? What's your model?
You're going to laugh when you hear this, but it's a watch phone. It's model # is M600. It's a generic Chinese device that does indeed have GPRS (works best with WAP sites) & I have used it with the GPRS I pick up just fine from AT&T & T-Mobile, however I need lots of manual settings (like what I shown above) entered unlike most modern devices. This watch phone also supports the (very old) GSM Data service, which is a dial-up data service.

I consider this watch phone to be a good device for emergency use, and with data rates on these int'l SIM cards as high as they are (I notice they are often as high as or even higher than roaming!!!), I do not plan to use data very much on this SIM card, but I believe it's nice to have it 'just in case'.

Old
  (#7)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-09-2008, 19:27

Okay, Mr Bond.

I fear the browser of your secret weapon won't work without any WAP-proxy. In that case I have no solution for you unless eKit installs such and provides the necessary data. Does your watchphone have an eMail client? If so it should not require those WAP-proxy-settings and so should work with the given settings.

Old
  (#8)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-09-2008, 19:40

Quote:
Okay, Mr Bond.

I fear the browser of your secret weapon won't work without any WAP-proxy. In that case I have no solution for you unless eKit installs such and provides the necessary data. Does your watchphone have an eMail client? If so it should not require those WAP-proxy-settings and so should work with the given settings.
My watch phone doesn't have an e-mail client.

I have noticed that when I insert the SIM into my Nokia E61, it automaticallys picks up three profiles: Pronto Connect, Pronto Connect Web, & Pronto MMS.

I have tried entering these settings in the watch phone & still no dice.

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-09-2008, 19:54

You could try the settings for MANX telecom, on whose network eKit is based on:

IP address/proxy: 10.0.3.101
port: 9201 or 80

Old
  (#10)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question 16-09-2008, 20:12

Quote:
You could try the settings for MANX telecom, on whose network eKit is based on:

IP address/proxy: 10.0.3.101
port: 9201 or 80
Are the rest of the settings (APN/un/pw) the same?