PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-03-2006, 17:33

I took a look on their site, first time for months, and found 2 new announcements, one today

http://www.thuraya.com/corporate/newsroom/...raveler_sim.htm

Quote:
Thuraya Launches Traveler SIM
- A new prepaid SIM card that serves occasional satellite users

Thuraya announces the launch of Traveler SIM; a new prepaid SIM Card designed for occasional satellite users in need of satellite services for a short period of time. The new pre-paid SIM card is intended for tourists, vacationers and business travelers who plan to spend short visits in under-developed areas or remote locations that lack telecommunication services and would like to use Thuraya satellite network to make calls at a flat rate and receive calls free of charge in the satellite network
Not knowing all their options, I find it difficult to compare this to what was available before. I also have trouble ever finding definitive info on tariffs. It lasts just a month though

And a facility for sms call-me-back message when the credit is exhausted, launched 2 days ago http://www.thuraya.com/products/callmeback.htm

Quote:
CallMeBack is a Thuraya Value Added Service that allows subscribers to be in touch with people even if they run out of credit. With this service, Thuraya subscribers with exhausted call-credit can send SMS messages to other mobile users requesting them to call back.
I don't know if any of this is of interest ... probably too expensive

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-03-2006, 21:55

I think the key on the Traveler SIM is that you can buy it and hold onto it for as long as you like. The clock only starts ticking when you first use it, after which you have 30 days to use up the 25 minutes.

Old
  (#3)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-03-2006, 23:21

I'm wondering if HopMobile isn't the better choice for those who need Thuraya coverage. Did anyone try their HM SIM in a Thuraya phone?

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#4)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 16-03-2006, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS
I'm wondering if HopMobile isn't the better choice for those who need Thuraya coverage. Did anyone try their HM SIM in a Thuraya phone?
If Hop roams on Thuraya at regular Hop rates (35c/min incoming, 95 c/min +20 setup fee outgoing) it would be a pretty good offer. But I wonder why calls from Hop to satellite phones are charged at $6/min and Thuraya is not excluded from that horrible rate? Do they prefer simplicity of rates so much :P? $6 seems to be rate appropriate rather for the most expensive version of Inmarsat, not for Thuraya

Old
  (#5)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 16-03-2006, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
If Hop roams on Thuraya at regular Hop rates (35c/min incoming, 95 c/min +20 setup fee outgoing) it would be a pretty good offer.
I'd like to test it

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-03-2006, 17:34

I'm assuming that if I were ever to try Hop and Thuraya together, that I'd also try callback to/from it, making outgoing calls 35c + eg 25c, or whatever the separate callback tariff was.

Old
  (#7)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 16-03-2006, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I'm assuming that if I were ever to try Hop and Thuraya together, that I'd also try callback to/from it, making outgoing calls 35c + eg 25c, or whatever the separate callback tariff was.
Monaco Mobile from/to USA with CBW is 24 cents...It's a good option for calls Hop2US, incl. roaming in the USA itself . But how about rates Monaco - any other country? Do you know any interesting offer?

Old
  (#8)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-04-2006, 14:46

Any idea about reliable and cheap source of Thuraya handsets? Thx

Old
  (#9)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-04-2006, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir
Any idea about reliable and cheap source of Thuraya handsets? Thx
Relaible I think we can give you. Cheap is relative but we can also probably manage that. Reliable and cheap is a lot to ask.

Old
  (#10)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-04-2006, 13:59

Thx for your reply DRNewcomb. Do you check private messages by any chance? I wrote you already sometime ago.