PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Flaming Homer (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-03-2006, 21:36

First of all, I want to thank AndreA (and Effendi) for their offer to help getting WIND pre-paid SIM as detailed here: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=888

I have an upcoming trip into France and Italy, and would like to stay connected both voice and data. I'm using a Motorola SLVR and would like to use the DUN option with my laptop, either connected via Bluetooth or USB. After much fudging around locally with Canadian's Rogers data SIM (I don't have the WIND one yet) and service, I have got both Bluetooth and USB going by either:

1. Use Motorola Phone Tools 4.04
2. Use the "at+cgdcont=2,ip,internet.com" extra initialization command and calling with "*99***2#"

It took me forever to figure #2 out, and am now afraid what will happen to me once I get the WIND SIM into France and Italy. Can I count on Motorola Phone Tools to automatically detecting the right roaming partners (in France) and set up the connection appropriately or are there different "extra initialization command" that I should write down before heading over the pond ?

Please, someone who has used WIND data roaming over dial-up networking, what's the secret to easy data roaming in Europe ?

Thanks in advance

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-03-2006, 11:38

I'm a Wind customer and I used GPRS in several countries in Europe with no problem, but only with my handset, no PC connection since I've never tried it!
I think you just need to setup the right APN (internet.wind) and that's all. The calling number is the usual *99# maybe plus the ***2 as well.

Let's see if AndreA can say more than me, he's such an expert about this subject!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
faquick (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 25-03-2006, 21:02

you need that extra initialization command, but be sure to edit "internet.com" with "internet.wind" when you use a Wind simcard, otherwise it will not work

in alternative, you can use any program that creates the connection for you: Motorola Phone Tools should work just fine (I used it some time ago with both 3 and Wind and it auto-detected the correct APN according to the simcard inserted in the phone)

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions just ask

fab---

Name: Fabrizio
Some of my prepaid SIM cards: United Mobile Plus + 3ITA + I WIND + TIM + vodafone IT + 3 UK + O2 UK + Prima
My phones: HTC Desire + BlackBerry 9700

Old
  (#4)
faquick (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 25-03-2006, 21:04

P.S. just forgot: there is no "secret" for easy data roaming, you just need to be registered on a network that has data roaming agreements (camel3) with Wind and you can connect with absolutely no problems

We was checking our emails etc. with Wind sim cards in Prague last week ^_^ and got absolutely no issues

fab---

Name: Fabrizio
Some of my prepaid SIM cards: United Mobile Plus + 3ITA + I WIND + TIM + vodafone IT + 3 UK + O2 UK + Prima
My phones: HTC Desire + BlackBerry 9700

Old
  (#5)
Flaming Homer (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 27-03-2006, 23:50

Good to hear that I will be well armed, thanks !!

Old
  (#6)
Gargoyle (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-06-2006, 03:56

Just want to be sure I understand the process. I've been using Wind for years, (I spend a lot of time in Italy) just with a standard prepaid card. If I use a phone like the razr, hook it to my laptop with a mini-usb cable, use the motorola phone tools from the cd that comes with the phone, what else do I have to do to get on line with my laptop? Do I need a different class of service from Wind? (I forget which program I'm on now, but it's a simple voice phone service). What kind of costs will I encounter if I'm online for a half hour to an hour a day? (simple e-mail, web forums, not major file downloads). What kind of connection speed can I expect?

Where do I enter the init strings, through the motorola phone tools or through the phone keypad and the motorola screen menu? Or, with the motorola software, do I need to do anything special to connect, or will it auto-detect?

Oh, also, does anyone know- can I load the cd to my laptop hard drive in advance? I use an ultralite, it doesn't have a cd drive, so I'd want to load the software before I fly to Italy. (in otherwords, do I just install the software, or will I need to have access to the cd the first time I log on in Italy?)

TIA,

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-06-2006, 08:55

Hi Gargoyle and welcome to the forum!

You don't need a special plan, a normal voice sim-card by Wind is perfect, but of course it's better if you apply for one of the 3 data offers listed here.

You just need to have some credit and to be sure GPRS is active on your plan. If you understand some Italian (I think you do) I suggest you to subscribe to www.155.it where you can check all the information about your plan, including GPRS activation and the data offers you will active.

The init strings have to be put on the modem settings: your PC sees the phone as a GPRS modem, in the properties you can put the init string. It's just a normal "remote access" connection, like with a dial-up 56k modem. You don't need any special software, just the drivers for you phone, of course. If you use now the Razr CD with your laptop it will install all that you need.

Speed in GPRS is around 48k, on 3G it's 384k but you need a 3G phone.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#8)
Gargoyle (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-06-2006, 16:08

Thanks, Effendi. Si, capisco bene l'italiano, and I'm already registered on 155.it. I'm actually buying a new phone before I return to Italy (if I can get an unlocked phone for my Cingular account), so I'll see if they have 3G phones before I get a Razr.

I think they should make phones with multiple sim card slots, so we can just hit a key sequence to switch cards, instead of fumbling with multiple cards and swapping them out. I once wrote Motorola to suggest that, but I think they ignored the idea.

Old
  (#9)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-06-2006, 16:37

Pay attention that 3G phones in the USA don't work in the rest of the World since you use W-CDMA at 1900MHz, while here it's W-CDMA 2100MHz. So if you want a 3G phone buy it on eBay from some European seller. The Razr should be ok since it's quad-band.

In Italy you need both 900 and 1800 MHz with GSM.

On 155.it you can checn if GPRS is active or not. If not, you can ativate it directly from there.

Old
  (#10)
Flaming Homer (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-06-2006, 17:05

Just for the fun of it, I also puchased this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...item=9722548769

Offered the vendor 10 GBP, came out to 14 GBP shipped

Software can be downloaded from dell.com - search for "TrueMobile GPRS Manager"