PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 02:39

i've discovered a big problem: as i'll be in vancouver for 4 days, banff/lake louise/kananaskis for 4 days, and jasper for 2 days, that's 3 area codes.

i've just been told that if i were to choose, say the vancouver area code, then every single call i receive or make in calgary, including the 866 calls, would be considered a "canadian long distance call" and i'll have to pay an ADDITIONAL 30 cents or so ON TOP OF the 30 cents per minute: that makes it 60 cents per minute!!

what's with these canadian cell companies? there's something here that i'm not "getting". is it merely as simple as "lack of competition"? it seems like such an old fashioned system and it is like a monopoly/oligopoly.

yikes! sigh.

Old
  (#12)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 02:48

oh, btw, on top of everything else, there's the additional issue of when being in Jasper, granted, that's only 2 days out of the entire trip, it's on Fido's "extended network" which means another 30 cents PLUS the regular 30 cents for regular day time minutes, PLUS 30 cents for domestic long distance since i'm not in my "original area code" which would have been vancouver! that's a whopping 90 cents per minute!!

am i missing something or is the canadian cell phone system quite unusual?!? feeling pretty weird about this thing already...yikes!

Old
  (#13)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-08-2007, 04:02

Fido prepaid doesn't consider the "extended network" to be anything different than the normal network. This is only an issue for postpaid service, and only if you don't pay the $5/month fee for the extended network.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#14)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 04:28

i see! that's good news.

what about bringing Rogers into the consideration equation? so far, i've only considered Fido. it seems to me that there's no reason to not think about Rogers as well.

now that Mr. PhotoJim has told me that the extended network is not an issue, i have to think about what to do with these 3 area codes!! i can't really justify buying 3 sim cards, of course, but would it make sense to buy 2 sims? one for vancouver and one for the calgary/banff/lake louise area code? then, the only 2 days that i'd be left without "local calling rates" would be the 2 nights in Jasper. of course, the cost/benefit of the additional cost of the 2nd sim card has to be considered.

again, most of my calls would seem likely to be initiated by me: calling my USA landline to check my answering machine, calling my tmobile USA voicemail (since that has a "all call forward unconditionally" set the day i leave the USA for Vancouver), and calling friends back. all of these calls would be either through a local access number or an 866 number for OneSuite.com's calling card service. so it seems that i'll need lots and lots of "local minutes".

i don't know how to get away from getting a vancouver area code, and then making calls from the calgary area code and not incur a 30 cent per minute surcharge due to it being "canadian long distance" outside of my "local vancouver area code".

this is so darn complicated!

Old
  (#15)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 04:39

PS: it's almost as though it would be smarter to just use my tmobile USA phone plan and just roam internationally in canada. the price is roughly 69 cents per minute. when you add the 30 cents plus the 30 cents 'outside of local area code' (say if i got a vancouver area code and making calls in calgary for 6 days), that would be 60 cents per minute PLUS my onesuite.com's international rates of 3.5 cents for calls from canada to the US!

that's 63.5 cents per minute!!

whew.

Old
  (#16)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 05:22

btw, any noticeable difference in reception between Fido and Rogers? all i know is that they are basically the same company now but i really don't know if one has better sound quality/reception in more areas, or are they basically the same?

thx!

Old
  (#17)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-08-2007, 05:25

The extra $0.30 long distance charge only applies to long distance calls. If you use the Onesuite toll free (or local to your phisical location) access number you only have to pay for airtime.

Your better option is 7-11 mobile. For $100 you get a basic phone (Nokia 1102) and a SIM prefilled with $105. Airtime rate is $0.20/minute.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#18)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-08-2007, 11:42

VladS: thx for your advice. my follow up questions are:

1. Fido: why did they tell me that if i had a vancouver area code, if i'm in calgary, every 866 call is considered a "local call" and a local call in calgary means incurring canadian long distance since i'm no longer in vancouver? was the representative mistaken? please consider the fact that the majority of my calls will be initiated by me from canada to the US using my onesuite.com 866 access number. only in vancouver, i can use onesuite.com's vancouver local access number (they do not have local area code access numbers in calgary).

2. Fido: may i call to change my area code from vancouver to calgary when i go there? vancouver 4 days, calgary 4 days, jasper 2 days. charges for that? i cannot find it at all on their website. their reps are really not that helpful. i find their answers to be inconsistent.

3. Rogers: why not consider Rogers pay as you go plan? is rogers reception any better? their $1 per day has unlimited evenings starting at 6pm rather than the usual 8pm.

4. Rogers: they seem NOT to charge for changing area codes!!! am i mistaken? i read and re-read their info online, confusing. it is $10 to change your number online but seemingly free if you change your area code. website is so confusing.

5. 7 11: i'm confused why you mentioned that their $100 option is that great. i already have a quad band HTC phone that i'll be bringing to use. wouldn't that save me money by not going the 7 11 route and getting a new phone, however cheap that phone is? though $100 airtime is only $0.20 which is like 500 mins, that's quite a bit. what about canadian long distance when i move from vancouver to calgary? how does 7 11 handle that? they seem not to have much customer service/support at all!! concerned. they also don't have an unlimited evening option, which Rogers does have.

6. Sound /reception quality of Fido vs Rogers vs 7 11?? are they essentially the same? or is one better than another?

thanks in advance! looking forward to hearing your answers sir/madam.

Last edited by eieio; 21-08-2007 at 11:50..

Old
  (#19)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-08-2007, 16:15

1. If you have a Vancouver number, and you *receive* a call in Calgary, you pay toll. You will only pay long distance on outgoing calls if you call a long distance number (relative to Calgary). Calling Calgary, or toll-free numbers, will be local since you are in Calgary at the time.

2. You can change numbers. I'm sure there is a charge. I don't know what the charge is.

3. Rogers and Fido use the same network, so reception is identical.

4. I don't know.

5. I don't know.

6. There is only one GSM network in Canada, and it is Rogers' network. Any provider using GSM in Canada is using that network. All the other networks are CDMA, although only Rogers' covers every province. (The CDMA providers roam on each other to provide full national coverage.)

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Last edited by PhotoJim; 21-08-2007 at 16:16.. Reason: Fixing my bad grammar :)

Old
  (#20)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 22-08-2007, 05:58

Thank you for the great info.

Upon doing more research with Rogers...they have a "first top up Double the refill" bonus deal now. so if i were to get a sim card for $25, and a top up for $40, i'll get in effect a top up for $80. so the net outlay is $65 (25+40) for $80 worth of time/minutes.

the most calls i'll do will be to an 866 number which would allow me to call the USA from Vancouver and/or Calgary/Jasper. there are 3 area codes involved: vancouver, calgary/banff/lake louise/kananaskis, and the 3rd one is Jasper.

i don't think it would be that useful for me to switch numbers since i'll be initiating most of the calls.

any other advise, gentlemen/ladies?

oh, btw, some Rogers stores want to CHARGE for activation! i would have to use 25 cents and go to a pay phone, maybe 100 feet from the store, and activate via an 800 number, in order to save $25 !! how odd is that?

ugh.