PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
HazelGirl (Offline)
Official Member

Default question about recharging TIM sim online - 18-08-2007, 20:12

I have my TIM sim from last year and I've grown quite fond of it, really .....I just wish I could recharge online. I'm registered to access my account online but in the directions it says in order to recharge online, I need a credit card that was issued in Italy. I think that's rather ridiculous but are they real strict about it? If I try to do it anyway with my American credit card will it just be denied? That really sucks if it's true!!! Cuz it would be SO MUCH EASIER to recharge online instead of having to go to the tobacco shops all the time when in Italy.

Also, I know this is a prepaid forum, but are there postpaid options in Italy???? That is, if I were to go there longterm, I'd probably want a post-paid account (or not, I dunno!)

in the US: AT&T
in Italy: TIM
in France: Orange

Old
  (#2)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-08-2007, 09:20

If you get a postpaid contract you'll have to pay a (stupid) €5.16 monthly tax even if you don't use your account.
Unfortunately a Tim prepaid card can't be recharged with a non-Italian credit card.
I have the same problem as you: the only Italian mobile operator that accepts my french credit card is Vodafone.

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#3)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 20-08-2007, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoy View Post
If you get a postpaid contract you'll have to pay a (stupid) €5.16 monthly tax even if you don't use your account.
Another problem: without an OFFICIAL residence in Italy/SanMarino/Vaticano you can't activate any italian postpaid Then if you have that residence you need a credit card issued in Italy too... no payment by post for foreigner. Really really crap...

Quote:
Unfortunately a Tim prepaid card can't be recharged with a non-Italian credit card.
Did you try an American Express? sometimes this trick works

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#4)
Intasun77 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 24-08-2007, 10:05

I recharge my TIM card using ebay UK. They charge a bit extra but it keeps the sim card valid and you only need to do it once a year if you don't visit Italy.
When in Italy I also try to purchase the old style TIM Ricarica cards with the codes that you enter into your phone @ €10 but they are getting more difficult to purchase now.

Old
  (#5)
msjfb (Offline)
Official Member

Default 27-08-2007, 20:29

I purchased earlier this year a recharge from Matteo at Samat.it (samat1@gmail.com). I purchased a 50euro recharge for 55euros. I considered the 'service charge' reasonable.
I sent him the money through Paypal, gave him my phone number and he recharged it from his end.

I would deal with him again anytime.

Frank

Old
  (#6)
Intasun77 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 30-08-2007, 15:37

msjfb

I agree with you, I purchased my sim of this guy, he's very reliable. I also, like you, use him to top up my sim if I don't visit Italia within the 12 month expire time.

Old
  (#7)
HazelGirl (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-09-2007, 06:30

So then let me get this straight.....Vodafone WILL let you top up using a non-Italian credit card?

in the US: AT&T
in Italy: TIM
in France: Orange

Old
  (#8)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 28-09-2007, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
So then let me get this straight.....Vodafone WILL let you top up using a non-Italian credit card?
Not officially. Sometimes it works (expecially with AMEX)

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG