PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
freedavebrown (Offline)

Default American iPhone in Belgium? - 02-05-2009, 15:23

Hi,

I have some experience using local sims in phone but I have normally just bought a cheap phone when I arrive in Europe.

I will be in Brussels this summer for work for about a month and have an iPhone 3G (ATT) that I would like to be able to use there with a local sim.

IF I can convince ATT to unlock it for me (not sure if I can) would I be able to pop in a BASE/Proximus/Mobistar etc. prepaid sim card and use it over there? Would the data work (if I signed up for one of those 500MB data plans)?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-05-2009, 17:59

Yes. There's only one iphone version, which supports UMTS at 850, 1900 (both American bands) and at 2100 MHz (major European band). So if you get your iphone unlocked, you'll be able to use it with any European wireless operator.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 03-05-2009, 21:05

ATT doesn't unlock iPhones. Their contract with Apple prohibits it. There are plenty of unlocking solutions available for the iPhone and they are pretty straight forward. Just don't be the first kid on the block to upgrade your firmware. Each upgrade seems to relock the phone.